Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yeah... I kinda remember that one. But I Can't think of the Name either.

It can Take a Boat Load of money to fend of a Product Liability lawsuit. And sometimes dissolving the Company is a way to Stem the Bleeding.

BTW - I contacted an Owner of a B&M I know. And he said that he Doesn't sell Mech mods because his insurance felt there wasn't an Adequate Liability Chain back to the OEM. And to act on his own, his Premiums would be Off the Charts.

Just Not Enough Profits in selling Mech's for Him to make it Financially Viable.
Sounds like the free market (which properly includes liability!) is already doing what some here wish to do by fiat...

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
There is another product that people use in vaporizers, there are countless devices available both from online and b&m vendors. We may not enjoy the current glut ECig hardware forever but I can't see a day when it will be difficult to obtain.

Successful Business = find out what people want and sell in to them.
People want ecig hardware.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
First let me say there's a lot of good discussion going on. keep it up.
The FDA can't regulate flashlights.

No,
My flashlight can make vapor if I attach a coil to it.
It has 20x1m threads too, gonna regulate that too? 18650 IMR batteries in metal tubes?
Just silly.
@zoiDman is trying to say what I also believe. The FDA isn't going to regulate any
thing that has obvious other uses. Regulation will result from the definition
of what they consider e-cigarette to be. A store bought device made for
use a an e-cigarette will by the FDA definition be the same as any homemade
device regardless of how the components of the home made one were obtained.
An e-cigarette will be a electronic device used to vaporize substances for inhalation.
Granted this is a simple definition which the FDA will find a way to write about 5
pages to encompass every nuance possible. Correct me If I am wrong but,the
FDA's intended expansion of intended use is just not for e-cigarettes. They want
to expand their authority and have old scores to settle. Namely any glass
device with a for tobacco use only sticker on it.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sounds like the free market (which properly includes liability!) is already doing what some here wish to do by fiat...

Yes. He is in Business to make Profits. And to Protect the Wellbeing of not only Himself and his Company, but also His Employees.

In many respects, You would enjoy Talking with him about e-Cigarette Market and Policy Issues. Because he is Completely Devoid of the Emotional Aspects of Vaping. He never Quit Smoking with an e-Cigarettes. Because he Never Smoked. Or uses an e-Cigarettes for that matter.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
That's awesome. Wonder if it was a good vape[emoji12]
I was actually surprised that the first one I saw was someone who had it in his mouth, I just searched "flashlight explosion."

People use the comparison because there really is very little difference in the design between a mech and a flashlight. You have a battery tube, and when the circuit is open it provides power to a filament. Yes, there are differences, but at the most basic level, in a mech, a problem arises when there is a short circuit somewhere.

Zombo

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Sadly, it could just as easily have been her Cell Phone. Did you know many times more Cell Phones have exploded than e-cigs? o_O
Apple has had to replace cellphones for Puffing up/splitting from expanded batteries.:shock:
There are way more phones (and laptops, etc.) out there than e-cigs, I would think.

I'm not for banning mechs, but I wish it were required to include a sheet of information with each one sold.

Personally, I don't get mechs in this day and age. I too am a huge fan of manual transmission cars, but, what could you possibly tweak with your mech-mod that can't be done with our 200+watt, multi-featured devices? I get the reliability thing, but is it so hard to be without your vape for a few hours (most will have a spare mod at home) in the unlikely event that it goes south?

Also, how do you live with voltage drop?

Reactions: zoiDman

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
First let me say there's a lot of good discussion going on. keep it up.

@zoiDman is trying to say what I also believe. The FDA isn't going to regulate any
thing that has obvious other uses. Regulation will result from the definition
of what they consider e-cigarette to be. A store bought device made for
use a an e-cigarette will by the FDA definition be the same as any homemade
device regardless of how the components of the home made one were obtained.
An e-cigarette will be a electronic device used to vaporize substances for inhalation.
Granted this is a simple definition which the FDA will find a way to write about 5
pages to encompass every nuance possible. Correct me If I am wrong but,the
FDA's intended expansion of intended use is just not for e-cigarettes. They want
to expand their authority and have old scores to settle. Namely any glass
device with a for tobacco use only sticker on it.
Regards
Mike

It wasn't the FDA that went after the glass tobacco devices.
That was the DEA, specifically one person trying to forward their career.
It failed miserably, cost millions and actually set the stage for a huge resurgence in American hand made glass art "devices".
The best artistic glass blowers on the planet are now from the US.

If the FDA is following the DEAs example were all good.
:)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
There are way more phones (and laptops, etc.) out there than e-cigs, I would think.

I'm not for banning mechs, but I wish it were required to include a sheet of information with each one sold.

Personally, I don't get mechs in this day and age. I too am a huge fan of manual transmission cars, but, what could you possibly tweak with your mech-mod that can't be done with our 200+watt, multi-featured devices? I get the reliability thing, but is it so hard to be without your vape for a few hours (most will have a spare mod at home) in the unlikely event that it goes south?

Personally, I love my mechs because I honestly believe that my REO will be the last mod I ever HAVE to purchase. I may need to replace certain pieces, the feeding tube may wear out, I might accidentally drop a spring, but the mod itself will likely outlast me.

As for the voltage drop/battery drain, you build to account for it, or if you really need that fresh battery power, you carry more batteries. For my builds, the difference between hitting it with 4v and 3.8v is negligible. The hit from 4.2-4.0 is a more powerful, but not enough to be bad, if it were, I'd adjust my coil builds. With the way I vape, I can sometimes go two days before I need a battery change.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
It wasn't the FDA that went after the glass tobacco devices.
That was the DEA, specifically one person trying to forward their career.
It failed miserably, cost millions and actually set the stage for a huge resurgence in American hand made glass art "devices".
The best artistic glass blowers on the planet are now from the US.

If the FDA is following the DEAs example were all good.
:)
Oh,so glass tobacco ware will not be considered a tobacco product?
I was also unaware all those thing are made in the USA.
Last time I checked the DEA was still part of the government.
Remember one hand washes the other.
Regards
Mike

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

The drop off from full charge of 4.2 volts to below 3.7 volts, when mechanical vapers change batteries, isn't a straight line. The drop off from 4.2 to around 3.9 happens pretty quickly. Good batteries spend most of their useful time gradually easing down from around 3.9 to 3.7. Below 3.7, they again drop off fairly quickly. The point is, the difference between 3.9 and 3.7, the useful duration of the battery, is only .2 volts. It's hardly noticeable.
I know people who use regulated mods, and rarely mess with the + or - buttons. Mrs. Rule is one of them. She's found the 'sweet spot' where she likes to vape, and leaves it there.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Oh,so glass tobacco ware will not be considered a tobacco product?
I was also unaware all those thing are made in the USA.
Last time I checked the DEA was still part of the government.
Remember one hand washes the other.
Regards
Mike

Nope.
American hand made functional glass art.
In fact, in 2009 I was interviewed by a 50 year old trade magazine on his very topic.
I have worked with glass artists like Dale Chihuly, Bob Snodgrass, Jason Harris, and Robert Mickelsen.

The high end stuff is pure art first, functional device second.

That industry came out of the shadows long ago and won't ever be put back.

We can only wish the same for the high end mod industry.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Nope.
American hand made functional glass art.
In fact, in 2009 I was interviewed by a 50 year old trade magazine on his very topic.
I have worked with glass artists like Dale Chihuly, Bob Snodgrass, Jason Harris, and Robert Mickelsen.

The high end stuff is pure art first, functional device second.

That industry came out of the shadows long ago and won't ever be put back.

We can only wish the same for the high end mod industry.
So the display at the tobacco store is filled with American made Art?
Mike

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
So the display at the tobacco store is filled with American made Art?
Mike

Dunno.
There a lot of Chinese crap out there too.
Ask who made it. US artists have names, usually sign their work, and it will cost like a kidney.

I'm just sayin it's not the same thing as ecigs, the FDA won't touch it, and it's not going anywhere. For all the effort to ban it, it's actually stronger than ever.
I don't want to get farther off topic but I know a lot, and have written volumes about that industry, it's history and artists, and it's struggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread