The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Extending the life of our batteries – Minding Your mAhs – Ep6

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Feb 9, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Episode 6 of “Minding Your mAhs” has been uploaded to my Battery Mooch YouTube channel.

Link:

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  2. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Comment: Superb work, thank you. 13k subs and rising.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. score69

score69 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    Another great video, thank you!!! :thumb:

Looking forward to your next one. I'm not hard on my batteries, but I probably tend to use them longer than many folks (large # of cycles) before replacing them. Interested in what you have on this. Not sure why I do this because in the whole scheme of things, batteries are the least expensive part of my vaping gear. Need to just start recycling them sooner and replacing them with fresh cells. Eagerly awaiting your advice on this topic.

Take care

• Like Like x 3
  4. Walee

Walee Super Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Bravo! Simply Bravo!! Keep feeding me. I'm a sponge. This came out just after I got my first series, two battery, mech. OMG! The voltage sag was horrendous!!! Back to the drawing board. Wonderful to have an understanding of what that really means.

• Like Like x 3
  5. untar

untar Senior Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    @Mooch would it be possible for you to quickly comment on devices with builtin lipo batteries and charging bags?
    I know your stance on regular chargers regarding that, but those devices just keep coming and with events like in that reddit thread about the smok the discussion about bags made a comeback.

Are there any plans for subtitles to your videos? I know of at least some who can't watch them because they don't speak english. If I had a transcript I'd be willing to help (german,french).

Other than that I'd like to thank you for the time you're putting into this, it's very much appreciated :thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Vchick

Vchick PIF Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Even when I think I can't learn anything more.. thank you for teaching me about when to charge!
    I still use ISticks, so no external batteries, but this tid bit is useful, thank you Mooch!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks Mooch another lovely episode once again, with some great advice! Thank you!

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Never use a charging bag for an internal battery mod as it traps in the heat.
    Subtitles probably won’t be done as having the translations reviewed and verified takes a lot of time. Doing that for several languages just isn’t practical.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Going easy on them in terms of discharge surely makes a huge difference. I use mech squonkers exclusively, but I'm an MTL tootle-puffer, generally around 0.75 ohms. I have some VTC5s that I got almost 4 years ago that still perform well for me. As good as new? No, probably not,

As an aside, a colleague of mine recently got a PHEV -- a Plug In Hybrid car that can run for some distance on battery power alone. It has an 8.8 kWh battery composed of 96 large prismatic cells in series. The manufacturer warranties this battery for 8 years(!) I was curious how this is possible. Well, with the right diagnostic ("scan") tool, one can query the battery management module in the car and see the voltage of each cell individually. We've done this, both with the battery "full" (the car refusing to accept any more charge) and "empty" (car refusing to run on battery power alone). "Full" is 4.00-4.02V. "Empty" is 3.56-3.58V.

• Like Like x 3