Extra Flavor Shots.... General consensus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
Okay........I was told that to much flavoring gives off a sort of perfume or medicine type smell and/or taste. Basically, throws it off and distorts the overall combination of the mixture. If this is the case, why do I see most online vendors upcharging for extra flavor? If this is okay...how much is to much?

bunker0617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2013
AZ
Flavor is so subjective and really depends on your juice choice and set up... but I always opt for the extra shot. If your running into perfume or chemical tastes you need to A) not use that vendor or B) steep your juice leave cap off for a couple of weeks may help

Ps my go to top two vendors are mister e and fuzion... You will not be disappointed and straight out of the bottle they taste great... Any flavors!

DustyZ

Suspended
Jul 5, 2013
Ocala, FL, USA
The ability to have extra flavor shots is a good thing it you know the juices that you get, I get my Juices from MBV and I always get a minimum of 2 extra shots, this is due to the fact that I like a 50/50 mix of PG/VG, the more VG you have in your juice mutes the flavor. Now I would not normally recommend extra flavor shots on an 80/20 mix but that also depends on the juice you are getting some have very light flavors to being with others do not benefit from extra shots, others due. And what has been said on these forums many times over is very true, Taste is extremely subjective, what works for me may not be what works for others. So you need to just explore and figure whats best for your tastes..

DHCrocks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Hawaii
I wish I saw this before I ordered from MBV. I just got my first order from them 80/20 with an extra shot cause I thought more flavor would be great. But I do notice that it tastes like perfume and has a weird aftertaste. I'm letting it steep open top for now to see if it gets any better. hope it does. cause it's not really useable right now, tastes like I just spayed perfume in the air and took a hit from that.

SharonMM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Lakeville, MN
I hate the shot opinion. It's already really difficult to make a decision then they go and make it even harder. Juice should be flavorful regardless and shot adding shouldnt even be a thing. I really feel this is a way for the vendor to excuse him/herself from being cheap with ingredients hit us with an upcharge.
After all, shouldn't they should be the ones to know how much flavor to add to make it taste good? I'm blind buying this stuff most of the time so how would I know if it needs more or not. I'm not the master mixologist, they are. And who of you have ever said.. dang I wish this juice had less flavor, this is just way too flavorful I wish I had the option to take some out. No you'd just dilute it. Very easy to do at home. Juice should be really flavorful from the start so adding more flavor would wreck it. Then at home if you want to tone it down you could add unflavored. Thats how it should be done.

Sorry for ranting but this shot thing really causes me a bit of anxiety. I don't like it.:mad:

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

DustyZ

Suspended
Jul 5, 2013
Ocala, FL, USA
I wish I saw this before I ordered from MBV. I just got my first order from them 80/20 with an extra shot cause I thought more flavor would be great. But I do notice that it tastes like perfume and has a weird aftertaste. I'm letting it steep open top for now to see if it gets any better. hope it does. cause it's not really useable right now, tastes like I just spayed perfume in the air and took a hit from that.

You also have to remember that juices from MBV are made to order so they are new, depending on what you get they may or may not require long steeping times, if you have access to a UC that will help speed up the process, also the more VG you get the longer the steep time.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Oh lord... YMMV "subjective" and all that.

It's just an option - you have to decide if it's right for you. 100 VG users may want/need the extra flavor to compensate for high VG. It can depend on the individual mixing wizard at any given place and what they believe is "just enough" flavor to begin with. What flavorings they are using from where - some are more intense than others. One place I order from - all their tobaccos need extra flavor for my tastes, but it would be overkill in their bakery/sweet flavors... for me. I ordered from one place where they should have had a "-1" option for flavor their, ummm "stuff", was so over the top.

I advise anyone trying an unknown vendor to never add extra flavor shots on a first time order. Figure out what the baseline is for the place regarding flavor intensity, then decide if extra flavor would benefit your experience on the next order.

Last edited:

DustyZ

Suspended
Jul 5, 2013
Ocala, FL, USA
I hate the shot opinion. It's already really difficult to make a decision then they go and make it even harder. Juice should be flavorful regardless and shot adding shouldnt even be a thing. I really feel this is a way for the vendor to excuse him/herself from being cheap with ingredients hit us with an upcharge.
After all, shouldn't they should be the ones to know how much flavor to add to make it taste good? I'm blind buying this stuff most of the time so how would I know if it needs more or not. I'm not the master mixologist, they are. And who of you have ever said.. dang I wish this juice had less flavor, this is just way too flavorful I wish I had the option to take some out. No you'd just dilute it. Very easy to do at home. Juice should be really flavorful from the start so adding more flavor would wreck it. Then at home if you want to tone it down you could add unflavored. Thats how it should be done.

Sorry for ranting but this shot thing really causes me a bit of anxiety. I don't like it.:mad:

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Well, it comes down to "To each, their own" I prefer having the option of adding additional flavor, when you find and settle on vendor that you like you will come to know their particular juices, you also have to remember that not all e-juice makers use the same flavoring agents some are stronger some are weaker, again this also depends on your preferences such as how much PG/VG to you like, VG is generally very thick and will mute flavors, again taste is subjective to each person, so a vendor may think it's strong enough but the user may like it stronger, stronger flavors can be muted down as you stated, however I like the fact that I know the juices are made at the time of order, sure it would be great if they didn't require steeping however I also don't want something that has been sitting in a warehouse for an eternity. And the fact that I sell Pure Uncut Essential Oils I know that fresh is better for 90% of the oils, there are exceptions to the rule like for Patchouli which actually gets much better with age, but some lose their potency over time. If you know for a fact that a juice has been sitting in the vendors shelf for 2 - 3 weeks fine, but I would prefer mine fresh and as I know what I like after trying out the vendors I know what works for ME and what doesn't. Options are a good thing and not a detriment. Those that don't like the choices, find a vendor that has had their juices sitting around for a while and are pre-steeped. Again, these come down to personal preferences and to each their own!

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I like the way my B&M does it, you can ask for more flavor and, if you prefer get it in a separate bottle (sweetened if the flavor needs that) for a small fee. Nice since they do mix to the nic you want when you buy the juice and, it might want the flavor after it steeps, but it might not, or you might just want the flavor shot to put in something else you already have.

As for online I do a 10 mil (or smaller) no flavor shots first to see if that flavor will need it, and keep notes for future purchases.

Hipstertacos

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
This has been one of the most confusing parts of learning to vape, and I've bought a lot of juice that I don't like because of it. When you have the option of choosing the PG/VG ratio, you then have to play the guessing game of how many flavor shots to add (at least in my experience with a certain very popular vendor). You get a bottle, let it steep for 1-2 weeks, and if it's wrong repeat the process.

Why can't a vendor add an appropriate amount of flavoring, depending on the PG/VG mix? This would mean testing each formulation before it goes out, but shouldn't that be done anyway? (It makes me shudder to think that they don't.) If this was the case, the option of a flavor shot would truly be for someone who wants a stronger taste, rather than someone who is just trying to make their 50/50 PG/VG taste normal.

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
This has been one of the most confusing parts of learning to vape, and I've bought a lot of juice that I don't like because of it. When you have the option of choosing the PG/VG ratio, you then have to play the guessing game of how many flavor shots to add (at least in my experience with a certain very popular vendor). You get a bottle, let it steep for 1-2 weeks, and if it's wrong repeat the process.

Why can't a vendor add an appropriate amount of flavoring, depending on the PG/VG mix? This would mean testing each formulation before it goes out, but shouldn't that be done anyway? (It makes me shudder to think that they don't.) If this was the case, the option of a flavor shot would truly be for someone who wants a stronger taste, rather than someone who is just trying to make their 50/50 PG/VG taste normal.

The problem with tasting them before they go out is that they wouldn't taste right for many of them. Even after a few days in the mail, it is a very rare e-liq that I can vape straight from the mail on the first day.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm

I gotta agree with sharon on this one for myself... I usually ask a vendor what the optimal intensity is.

...but a lot of folks are like dusty and have confidence and good results tinkering and enhancing...

so... as dusty said... to each their own...

once I've had a juice, I 'd like to be able to email the vendor and ask them to tone it down... or up...

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I also hate these options. If I wanted to do a lot of testing with lots of options, I DIY. When I pay a premium over DIY for their formulation, I want to taste it and either I like it or I don't. When I go to a restaurant, I don't have to tell the chef how to make the dish. If I like what he makes, I come back for more. If I don't, then I move on to the next place. If the chef wants me to stand in the kitchen and tell him how much of the ingredients to put in, I might as well just make it myself lol.

Hipstertacos

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
The problem with tasting them before they go out is that they wouldn't taste right for many of them. Even after a few days in the mail, it is a very rare e-liq that I can vape straight from the mail on the first day.

Oh, I didn't mean to taste it before it goes out. Rather, they should add different amounts (or even formulations) for each PG/VG ratio of every flavor that they sell. Like they would automatically add more flavor for 50/50 than for 80/20, based off of their own development and testing.

I know that it's more work, but why would a vendor put out a product (no matter what odd PG/VG mix) that they don't know what it would taste like?

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
I also hate these options. If I wanted to do a lot of testing with lots of options, I DIY. When I pay a premium over DIY for their formulation, I want to taste it and either I like it or I don't. When I go to a restaurant, I don't have to tell the chef how to make the dish. If I like what he makes, I come back for more. If I don't, then I move on to the next place. If the chef wants me to stand in the kitchen and tell him how much of the ingredients to put in, I might as well just make it myself lol.

Even at a restaurant you are asked if you want your steak rate, medium rare, medium, medium well, or well done. You don't go in there to be told that everyone knows that it should be medium rare, and if you don't like it- leave.

And then of course, there is the choice of salad dressing, no tomatoes? Extra Black olives? But that changes the profile the chef designed the salad to have.

We customize our consumables every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread