Extreme burn from new coil. Joytech Penguin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandy88

Oct 3, 2014
British Columbia
I just replaced a new coil. Everything looks fine, I can see juice all soaked up in the coil.
After it sitting for 10 minutes or so I took a hit and it was like nothing I have ever experienced. I wouldn't even consider it a dry burn. It was like toxic burn to my throat.
Absolutely disgusting. I checked it out made sure there was enough juice and put it back together and let it sit for 20 minutes.
Just tried again and the same thing. I feel nauseas and got a headache. It was so bad I almost cried.

Why is this? Is there anything harmful that I could have just breathed in or something. I don't feel very well right now. No way I will be trying that again. I'm not impressed with this device at all.
This has never happened to me in years of vaping. I know what a regular dry burn is, this was nothing like that. I have been using this device for 2 weeks, same juice and have already went through 6 coils.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You're OK. Or you should be. What you inhaled was burning cotton. Not nice, but also not very dangerous, which is why people use it. For whatever reason your penguin is not wicking right. You torched that coil I think. No point in saving it.

DISCLAIMER: everything I know about penguins I got from watching a couple review videos because I'm thinking of getting one for my sister

Iirc penguins are particularly bad about wicking. You need to fill the tank AND thoroughly juice the coil AND there's a little hole in the bottom that takes a mil or two that needs to be filled as well, and even then you still need to let it sit for 15 min. It's crazy.

Penguins also have two coil types and two settings. One is for mtl and the other is for DL. Use the wrong wick with the wrong setting and bad things will happen

Reactions: stols001

Mandy88

Oct 3, 2014
British Columbia
You're OK. Or you should be. What you inhaled was burning cotton. Not nice, but also not very dangerous, which is why people use it. For whatever reason your penguin is not wicking right. You torched that coil I think. No point in saving it.

DISCLAIMER: everything I know about penguins I got from watching a couple review videos because I'm thinking of getting one for my sister

Iirc penguins are particularly bad about wicking. You need to fill the tank AND thoroughly juice the coil AND there's a little hole in the bottom that takes a mil or two that needs to be filled as well, and even then you still need to let it sit for 15 min. It's crazy.

Penguins also have two coil types and two settings. One is for mtl and the other is for DL. Use the wrong wick with the wrong setting and bad things will happen

Well thank you, I am feeling better
Now lol.
You can't change any settings on it? You can get 2 different coils, one for mtl and one for Dl but there is no settings to change.

It's funny you mention the videos because the video I seen said you don't need to even need to prime the coil because of the way the penguin is designed lol. Who knows. I'm out of coils now and won't be able to get any till tommorow.. Went through 6 coils in like 9 days..

Mandy88

Oct 3, 2014
British Columbia
The mod is a Joyetech Penguin

How much mg Nic?
6 mg
If you're using higher vg juices could be that it's not wicking fast enough,the penguin is a mtl device after all.
Could be a dry hit instead of a burnt one too. Otherwise i've got no idea.... Dud coils maybe ?

I got this device because the person at the store said it could handle High Vg... Lol ....ing people.
It's also a DL as well. It has MTL and DL coils.
But I've also been using the same
Juice and no problems. I would say it is a dud. I have never had something like this happen. It scared me haha

Khannnnn

Sep 1, 2017
6 mg

I got this device because the person at the store said it could handle High Vg... Lol ....ing people.
It's also a DL as well. It has MTL and DL coils.
But I've also been using the same
Juice and no problems. I would say it is a dud. I have never had something like this happen. It scared me haha
I had this happen to be on my wife's Joytech AIO. Burned the living bajesus out of my throat. I switched the coil and let it sit for 30 minutes before slowly trying it again. I get you. Not a fun experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well thank you, I am feeling better
Now lol.
You can't change any settings on it? You can get 2 different coils, one for mtl and one for Dl but there is no settings to change.

It's funny you mention the videos because the video I seen said you don't need to even need to prime the coil because of the way the penguin is designed lol. Who knows. I'm out of coils now and won't be able to get any till tommorow.. Went through 6 coils in like 9 days..
Really? That's a whole lot. Coils should last at least the better part of a week

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you're using higher vg juices could be that it's not wicking fast enough,the penguin is a mtl device after all.
Could be a dry hit instead of a burnt one too. Otherwise i've got no idea.... Dud coils maybe ?
supposedly it's both mtl & dl they make one mtl coil and one DL coil. Again according to my limited information. You may know more than me about this

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
supposedly it's both mtl & dl they make one mtl coil and one DL coil. Again according to my limited information. You may know more than me about this
Mostly videos i've watched about the penguin tbh (it's so cute i binged on a couple LOL). Most youtubers i've watched used high vg juices and i assume a dtl coil though so i can't really say,but in general whenever you get a dry/burnt hit there's always a million possibilities as to why. I personally used a mtl coil with high vg (nautilus .7 and triton 2 1.8 0hm i think,no idea if they're the same coils either but still) every time though, both these coils didn't really fair well against high vg max i'd use in one is 60vg. Most ideal ratio to use in such setups is probably 50/50 imho,then again i'm far from an expert.

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
The penguin works fine with high VG juice when you have a good coil. Unfortunately, you'll apparently have trouble finding a good coil. I read that they may have started packing the cotton tighter to prevent leaks but now it's dry hits you have to worry about. I used more PG and still no luck. My first original coil was awesome and lasted nearly 3 weeks but every one since has been crap. you can try using a pin to poke at the cotton where it feeds in and might get lucky helping it to wick. It's a big fat disappointment.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That is a lot of coils. How much e-juice are you using, and is it very sweet/dark? Those flavors tend to gunk up coils more quickly, you might want to look at some different juice options if that is the case.

With that said, this sounds like a priming issue. I would consider poking holes in the cotton myself, that seems to be an action that will improve flavor, wicking and coil life on several coils. Good luck!

Anna

dansus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2016
    London
    Why is this? Is there anything harmful that I could have just breathed in or something. I don't feel very well right now.
    Sounds like hot legs, but dont know if thats possible with the way the coils are designed. Probably just a duff coil.

Stand by my advice to penguin owners, make some holes in the wick with a pin before priming.

Last edited:

Mandy88

Oct 3, 2014
    British Columbia
    Hi all. Im not sure if anyone will see this.
    I just tried to get my penguin going again. And the plastic insert that the coil goes into has a horrible toxic burnt smell to it.
    The same smell that I was breathing in. It makes me feel nauseous just smelling it.

I wonder if there is anyway that part was/is getting burnt, and that is what I was breathing in.
    I'm honestly nervous to try it again.

I would upload pic bit it says it is too large from my iPhone...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Hi all. Im not sure if anyone will see this.
    I just tried to get my penguin going again. And the plastic insert that the coil goes into has a horrible toxic burnt smell to it.
    The same smell that I was breathing in. It makes me feel nauseous just smelling it.

I wonder if there is anyway that part was/is getting burnt, and that is what I was breathing in.
    I'm honestly nervous to try it again.

I would upload pic bit it says it is too large from my iPhone...
    Sounds like you actually melted the plastic coil holder. That was one dry coil

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread