Facts about dry burning SS 316L

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I'm trying to get the facts concerning dry burning SS 316L. I'm confused. I just ordered a bunch of 24G after usually using kanthal most of the time. One time I hear that any glowing of the coil causes toxins. Then i read that there's a difference between glowing orange and glowing red. I just want to be safe and don't want my vape to be unhealthy so I am hoping I can get the facts concerning dry burning SS 316L. Thanks.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I dry burn my ss316l, but not riding the fire button red hot dry burn, I just sorta pulse fire. Don’t hold down the button after you get it orange. I’m not aware of any dangerous toxins released from dry firing ss316l. It is probably one of the safest wires to use. Titanium is a no dry fire, it releases toxins when dry fired but ss is good. I think the biggest issue with dry firing ss316l is you might pop the coil and make it useless. No toxins though.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I dry burn my ss316l, but not riding the fire button red hot dry burn, I just sorta pulse fire. Don’t hold down the button after you get it orange. I’m not aware of any dangerous toxins released from dry firing ss316l. It is probably one of the safest wires to use. Titanium is a no dry fire, it releases toxins when dry fired but ss is good. I think the biggest issue with dry firing ss316l is you might pop the coil and make it useless. No toxins though.
This entire thing about the toxins was only a scare I guess from the information that I received from someone in a vape shop today, one of the workers there. He says he never used stainless steel because there's a lot of toxins released once it's dry burned even a little bit. He said that once you dry burn it you can't use it anymore. So my confusion caused me to ask. I know it didn't make much sense what he said but I was still confused.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
This entire thing about the toxins was only a scare I guess from the information that I received from someone in a vape shop today, one of the workers there. He says he never used stainless steel because there's a lot of toxins released once it's dry burned even a little bit. He said that once you dry burn it you can't use it anymore. So my confusion caused me to ask. I know it didn't make much sense what he said but I was still confused.
Misinformation from a vape shop employee??? Say it ain't so!

now, where's that 'sarcasm' emoji......

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

He obviously doesn't know the difference between Titanium and SS.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I also dry burn mine a little when making a coil, this prevents that slight funky flavor the first dozen vapes. When cleaning, will remove the cotton and while the juice is still there, dry burn in pulses unto most is gone, using ceramic tweezers to scrape along the way.

Then when clean as I can get, rinse with hot water, taking a tissue and rolling up to get the inside (usually will be black) & repeat until clean.

Have been using TEMCo 24 & 28 gauge 316L SS wire for over two years w/out any issues, don't want to return to kanthal. Mainly because SS lasts longer & IMO has better flavor.:)

Cat

Last edited:

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
SS316L is used in
cookware
True, but what we do is different to what is done in the cooking process. We take it to the extreme sometimes (temp wise).
I know it stays structurally sound. Its developed for that. What I don't know is what happens to the surface of it. When its taken to a temp of say 500°C, is there anything released that maybe interacts or adheres itself to the oxidation layer..don't know...and that's my problem...don't know what, if anything is happening that we should be aware of.
I don't think so, but would still like to know from someone that has that knowledge.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
My devices will shut down at 100C in the mode my mods are in (I presume a safety feature), no way would I want to vape near 500C.:)

Probably the closest I get to that mark is when burning off a newly made coil with a mini torch, and doubt it's getting that hot. If so, would have to drop the it, am holding onto the far end with my finger.;)

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread