• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Failure Rates are bumming me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qcaj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2012
Calgary
Can I ask you guys what the failure rate of clearos/tanks generally is?

I'm still new enough that I haven't bought much in bulk and I'm trying to figure out if this is normal. My last order from canvape, I got...
1 Star Dust(V2) LR
1 Star Dust(V2) SR
6 Stardust 2.0(V3)
1 Firebird 3ml Bottom Coil tank
1 Smoktech 4.5ml 35mm Chrome STUBBY
1 Vivi Nova Mini V3 Complete Kit

~2.5 weeks later, what I have that's still working (not cracked/leaking) is
1 Star Dust(V2) LR
2 Stardust 2.0(V3)
1 Smoktech 4.5ml 35mm Chrome STUBBY
1 Vivi Nova Mini V3 Complete Kit

That's a 50% failure rate. I'm pretty bummed at the amount of money wasted (that stupid Firebird was !#*@ $8.95) and I just want to know if this is par for the course or if I got a bum order.

(PS: I know you have the best intentions, but I'm not at a point where I'm going to jump into rebuildables)

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
How are things failing, just cracks or leaks in the plastic ? Are you using a particularly harsh juice - acidic, cinnamon, etc ? Are you over-tightening things ? I think that's WAY above the average failure rate.

I've had very few clearomizers break and it was always at least partly my fault. I have screwed up 2 T2s caps threading one wrong and dropping one on the sidewalk (but they're particularly low build quality) and I've messed up a Vivi slightly (but it doesn't leak) pushing it around trying to thread it properly on bad 510 threads.

Aside from that stardusts, vivis and the kanger t2s have lasted me months. I've never had anything crack or leak.

Last edited:

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
hmmm..... I read on one vendor's site that you can expect 3-6 weeks from a Stardust... but certainly that depends on use and the liquid in it I'm sure. Did you get replacement coil/wicks for the V3s? Seems like a lot to go through in 2.5 weeks. (I just got two of them with replacements, but haven't tried them yet)

I'm particularly interested in your experience with the firebird. I ordered one too (found the site very ambiguous on this.... I thought there would be four in the parcel--- I guess that's why the price seemed too good to be true), but I haven't tried it out yet. It's essentially an eGo-W assembly, but with a bigger tank and bottom instead of top coils. My eGo-Ws seem to be lasting 4-ish weeks (when I don't tinker with them too much lol). Canvape also carries the replacement tanks for the firebird for $4.95, but I'd hope to get more than 2 weeks out of one (not sure when it failed on you).

How's the ViVi nova treating you? Isn't that rebuildable? I'm still learning ;)

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Of the 6 Stardust V3s I ordered, 5 of them came in the same box. Out of that box, only one worked.

Didn't work how ? Did you try switching around the wicks and do a quick test fire, to see where the failure was ?

If they're DOA, contact canvape, I'm sure they'll send you out replacements for those ones. I doubt it's the tube, but bad batches of coil heads do happen.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Of the 6 Stardust V3s I ordered, 5 of them came in the same box. Out of that box, only one worked.
DOA? Failed out of the box? Like chagrin says, the vendor should be able to help you with a DOA product....

You can re-wick and recoil the vivi nova, but it's not a rebuildable really.
You can also replace the tube and metal base.... and if you can replace the tube, wick/coil, metal base (and tip if ya wanna get technical)..... what else is there to rebuild? (I'm not being sarcastic here, I'm actually asking to learn something lol)

Qcaj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2012
Calgary
Sorry if this is long. I'm trying to give lots of information. I'm almost hoping this is a uder error thing. But if it is, how come the 2 stardusts I got with my first eGo kit are still working?

How are things failing, just cracks or leaks in the plastic ? Are you using a particularly harsh juice - acidic, cinnamon, etc ? Are you over-tightening things ? I think that's WAY above the average failure rate.
It's all about leaks, about 50/50 between dribbling through the centre post and dribbling at the place where the tube meets the metal part at the bottom. (you know how the V3s have the bigger, textured bottom like the Vivi? I can see the discolouration the juice causes and get it all over my hands.) When I got them, I filled them and then set them upright on a paper towel. The next morning, 3 of the stardusts were empty and the paper towel was soaked. Most of the others lasted less than two days - it was the same each time, they started getting gurgly, and if I took them off to blow out or top up, there was a tonne of juice in the well and all over the threads. One of them never leaked, but it never made any vapor. The cracks are hairline fractures around the base. This could be because of overtightening, but I don't think I do that, since I'm a big wimp and I've never had any problems getting them on or off at any point (I change juice frequently). Besides that, lots of the SDs failed before even touching the battery.

The juice I used in them was either MLV's Applewood tobacco, GR's Cafe Mocha, or Juggy's Honeybadger. I don't think there are particularly harsh as far as juices go (compared to, say, Juggy's Swedish Pastry), but if they are than at least I know what the problem is.

I've had very few clearomizers break and it was always at least partly my fault. I have screwed up 2 T2s caps threading one wrong and dropping one on the sidewalk (but they're particularly low build quality)
The only one I've ever dropped is the Vivi, and that was onto concrete in the winter. It chipped/cut my aluminum driptip, but the tank still works fine.

hmmm..... I read on one vendor's site that you can expect 3-6 weeks from a Stardust... but certainly that depends on use and the liquid in it I'm sure. Did you get replacement coil/wicks for the V3s? Seems like a lot to go through in 2.5 weeks. (I just got two of them with replacements, but haven't tried them yet)
I didn't get replacements. At $5 a pop I would consider them disposable, assuming they last at least a week or two each. Which is not the case.

I'm particularly interested in your experience with the firebird. I ordered one too (found the site very ambiguous on this.... I thought there would be four in the parcel--- I guess that's why the price seemed too good to be true), but I haven't tried it out yet.
I got one puff out of it. Filled it carefully (even bought a syringe just to fill it). Only filled it about half-way, took one nice puff, then got the gurgles. I took it off to see if I could blow it out, and ended up (with GENTLE blowing, less than I'd blow a cartomizer even) basically blowing out all the juice. I could see bubbles going up from the bottom while the juice was coming out, so I think its vacuum was not very vacuumey.

Changing a head doesn't count, as far as I'm concerned. Rebuilding a wick? No thanks. I like it a lot, actually, but I think I prefer the head that came with it to the LR ones. I'm getting a bit of a burny taste on the 2.8 head.

What type of e-juice are you using?
What I would consider mild tobacco flavours (and one coffee/chocolate).

The leaking on the stardusts can be fixed by grabbing some new o rings at the hardware store :)
I'll try that next time. I threw out all my broken ones in a fit of rage a few days ago.

Last edited:

Qcaj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2012
Calgary
Didn't work how ? Did you try switching around the wicks and do a quick test fire, to see where the failure was ?

If they're DOA, contact canvape, I'm sure they'll send you out replacements for those ones. I doubt it's the tube, but bad batches of coil heads do happen.

Sorry, I pressed the wrong button in my other post trying to multiquote and ruined everything. sorry sorry I hope the long-... message posted later answers these questions.

AFAIK, canvape doesn't have any kind of warranty on carts or clearos. Also, I really wasn't sure if this was a product failure (which seems to be more likely, now), or par for the course.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Wow Qcaj, from your descriptions, I'm really guessing you might just have been unlucky and got some from a bad batch. I'd definitely contact the vendor and discuss what can be done. I'm disheartened to hear the firebird let you down... when I get to mine (got enough attys on the go right now), I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info on the vivi.... I'm really interested in those with a metal tube as I simply LOVE my screamin' hot cinnamon and I think that might be the atty that could handle it.

Added by edit:
AFAIK, canvape doesn't have any kind of warranty on carts or clearos. Also, I really wasn't sure if this was a product failure (which seems to be more likely, now), or par for the course.

From what I understood when I read their stuff, they don't warranty clearos, but will make good if DOA. If you can't even fill it a first time without it leaking, and thus never use it, that would seem to qualify as DOA to me. For it to be not warrantiable, it would have to worked for you at least once. You said one of them never fired at all. That definitely sounds DOA. Not holding juice at all seems like a defect to me as well. Best to discuss it with them and see what can be worked out.

Last edited:

Qcaj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2012
Calgary
I dug this one out of the garbage. My macro skills are not very good, so I don't know how useful this is. For what it's worth, this one was not one of the ones that died right away (I actually can't remember if this one is from canvape or electrovapors), but the cracks are what I mean. Maybe this is because of overtightening?

WARNING - this is a VERY LARGE photo of the base of a stardust.

kimbo55

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2012
san diego

I'm particularly interested in your experience with the firebird. I ordered one too (found the site very ambiguous on this.... I thought there would be four in the parcel--- I guess that's why the price seemed too good to be true), but I haven't tried it out yet. It's essentially an eGo-W assembly, but with a bigger tank and bottom instead of top coils. My eGo-Ws seem to be lasting 4-ish weeks (when I don't tinker with them too much lol). Canvape also carries the replacement tanks for the firebird for $4.95, but I'd hope to get more than 2 weeks out of one (not sure when it failed on you).

Lots of leaks with the vivi's. Both the plastic and aluminum tanks. The threads are soooo fine on the plastic it does not take much to "mush" them. Everytime I try to clean a clearo atty it tastes burnt afterwards. Some people just toss em when they're used up. Too much money to do that for me. Started to rebuild and have not tried any of my attys yet.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure about those juices, but they don't sound particularly bad. I've only used jughead's honey badger in a Kanger T2 and Vivi nova without problems.

Like tygertyger, I don't think canvape has any warranty on clearomizers, atomizers, etc, but every vendor should do something if they don't work at all. It does sound like you got a bad batch, if they were packaged together it's not surprising they were all bad either.

Every clearomizer will leak a bit at some point through the air hole, but it shouldn't be that bad. I always store mine on their sides, I'm not sure if that's better, but I get less leaks that way - of course I only get a few drops if I store them upright.

kimbo55

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2012
san diego

Maybe the connection is coming unscrewed when you remove and replace the mouth piece???

Qcaj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2012
Calgary
Thanks for the comments everyone. Really :)
It's at least good to know I maybe had a bad batch or am messing up somehow. The DCT and the vivi (as well as a different style of dct from another vendor) are working well for me, so I may just say goodbye to stardusts in general.

I'm still very much addicted to smoking despite having quit on Sept 22nd. I think I'm just having a bad night for that and am very frustrated - after all, how often do you buy a pack of Players and have 1/2 the cigs just fall apart in your hands? That's how it was feeling for me.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
.... I may just say goodbye to stardusts in general.
I wasn't impressed with my first one, but my friend uses them exclusively and loves 'em. Might just be a different strokes kind of thing. I'd definitely discuss it with Canvape though and give them the chance to either educate you as to possible user error, or replace them.

I'm still very much addicted to smoking despite having quit on Sept 22nd. I think I'm just having a bad night for that and am very frustrated - after all, how often do you buy a pack of Players and have 1/2 the cigs just fall apart in your hands? That's how it was feeling for me.
Some people quit the day they start vaping, some taper off over a few days, and some do both for months before being able to leave the analogs for good. Your frustration is definitely understandable and no one here is going to look down on you for calming your jangling nerves with analogs. The point is you're not giving up on vaping, and you'll succeed in your own way in your own time. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Even the ciggies are trying to help you kick the habit by self-destructing. haha! ;) Hang in there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread