FALSE description of "TYPICAL E-Cigarette; articles repeatedly show pics that are NOT "TYPICAL" IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
YES --- it is long. It needed to be long. It's about the fallacies perpetuated by our very own "mass media".

Reading one article after another on e-cigarettes the majority of articles published by "governmental agencies" or simply individuals who are pushing for "regulation" I see the same misinformation made to sound like gospel. "E-Cigarettes contain nicotine" ..... "E-Cigarettes are simply nicotine-delivering devices - not unlike cigarettes in many way" .... "young people are drawn to E-Cigarettes because of the names given to them such as, "bubble gun" ... "chocolate" ... "strawberry" (the lists are endless and full of "facts" that are simply fabrications to distort that which these "officials" do no't understand.

We have all read or heard of these articles and though we know them to be false in many ways they are growing each day as more and more "PROTECT THE CHILLUN" factions step forward pleading for "government" to step in and BAN these "instruments of addiction and death"! TAX THEM and use the INCOME to further public school education and telling "the chillun" why SMOKING is bad!

I recently responded to one such article that was created by the mass media in support of a TOTAL BAN on the manufacture, sale and use" of E-Cigarettes. The City Councillor bringing the matter up showed a LARGE SIX-FOOT WIDE by 4 FEET TALL photograph of the "TYPICAL ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE" - all the while claiming they are drawing more and more "chillun" to them AND leading MOST to REAL CIGARETTE ADDICTION!

More often than not - on television, in newspaper articles and at these "Council Meetings" I see the "Electronic Cigarette" shown below as the "TYPICAL CIGARETTE CHILDREN AND YOUNG ADULTS CAN buy". MISINFORMATION at BEST!
E-CIGARETTE PICTURE.jpg Certainly this IS one of the multitude of E-Cigarettes available and while it IS far more like a "REAL CIGARETTE", it certainly is NOT "TYPICAL" of what most folks who are trying to QUIT wind up using. Yes - it may be the first one they TRY, but it takes only a few days (or less) of using these devices that these individuals seek out a BETTER alternative to "cartridge sticks".

Recently a local news agency reported that, "...these electronic cigarettes contain MORE NICOTINE than the "average cigarette" and the nicotine is delivered in MUCH HIGHER DOSES AND INCREASES WITH EACH "PUFF" OF THE "BURNING NICOTINE".

In reply I pointed out the mistakes in the article and supplied multiple references to information they "MIGHT" want to investigate before publishing any additional articles. In reply to my letter I was supplied with the information shown below which was given to them by a City Council member who had quit smoking many years ago. SUPPOSEDLY this Council Member had shared the information with "hundreds of friends, family and co-workers" who used it to STOP SMOKING and 82% who stopped NEVER SMOKED again.

IF it were only this easy:

"Here are the steps I took to quit forever."

1. Plan ahead and pick a date in the near future for quiting. No more than a month ahead.
  2. Every day leading up to that date, make a conscious effort to use negative 'self-talk' about how nasty the ashtrays look, how your lungs look, the yellow on your fingers, bad breath, etc. Don't try to cut back yet.
  3. Every day, recommit to quitting on that date, put it in your planner and on your calendar.
  4. Two weeks or so before quitting, start buying your cigarettes by the pack rather than having a carton available.
  5. One week before the special day, change to a brand of cigarettes completely different from your brand. I smoked a menthol light and switched to Carlton's regular.
  6. On D-day, throw away every cigarette in your possession. Clean up all ashtrays and store away. Take the ashtray out of your car. Remove extra matches, give away or throw away lighters and any other smoking accessories.
  7. Eat plenty of broccoli and cauliflower. Supposedly, it helps remove the nicotine from your system faster. Can't guarantee that this works, but it's healthy for you and can't hurt.
  8. Do not sit or stand around with friends in the smoking area. Eventually, smoke will begin to strongly offend your senses and when that happens, you've broken the addiction to smoking.
  9. Do not, under any circumstances, pick up a cigarette to see if it still tastes the same or any other excuse!! I guarantee, you will fail again if you weaken.

So folks .... we are barking up the wrong tree!
All we need to do is follow the above and we too can stop smoking! We won't have to use the "typical electronic cigarette" any longer! One final point. In their reply they never mentioned the information I supplied about electronic cigarettes and the "liquid" used in same NOT ALWAYS CONTAINING "NICOTINE". They did not mention references I made to THIS VERY FORUM and how they just might find FACTUAL INFORMATION about the multitude of alternatives to REAL CIGARETTES. They did not directly or otherwise respond to the testimonials I supplied and links to same in which folks gave THANKS they found an alternative - NO MATTER IF IT HAD BEEN PROVEN SAFE OR OTHERWISE to the TOBACCO CIGARETTES MANY had been using for over EIGHT DECADES (myself included)! ALL they did was supply the steps noted above as being a "TRIED AND PROVEN METHOD" that if used would GUARANTEE I would stop smoking WITHOUT THE NEED FOR SUPPLEMENTAL "NICOTINE" delivered through a "yet to be proven safe method that is nothing less than TOBACCO BURNING VIA AN ELECTRONIC IGNITION DEVICE".

Soooooooooooooooooo ...... we are doing it all wrong. The nine-step method has been "proven effective" by a "prominent politician" in who I should place all my faith because "he said it works"! I'm so excited!

The "media" ..... reporting fact as well as fiction one biased article at a time - always wanting to "protect the chillun"!

From The Master Control Tower at "Senility Central" ....... Old Man Don

Last edited:

Harlen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Charlotte Nc
Yep
Here in the US we have always had some one to point at and say that's the bad persone what they do is bad .
Think back to when you were a kid there was always some one that did bad things that you can make jokes of,put down,pick on and it's ok .
It's ok to put down the smoker and any one that looks like a smoker.
When it's ok to put people down it matters not if it's true or not put them down it make you feel bigger then you are .
I got to stop or I will go into a rant sorry .

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Yep
Here in the US we have always had some one to point at and say that's the bad persone what they do is bad .
Think back to when you were a kid there was always some one that did bad things that you can make jokes of,put down,pick on and it's ok .
It's ok to put down the smoker and any one that looks like a smoker.
When it's ok to put people down it matters not if it's true or not put them down it make you feel bigger then you are .
I got to stop or I will go into a rant sorry .

As the odd duck kid that was always on the receiving end of the put downs I totally get where you are coming from. Rant away. You are dead right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread