Family members that successfully quit smoking years ago are now vaping..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsAngelD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2010
A, A
www.TheDallemagnes.com
So my mom quit smoking cold turkey about 13 years ago, however she said she always craved cigarettes. Even years later she still had cravings. Well I discovered e-ciggs after months of unsuccessfully trying everything else to quit smoking. I then introduced them to my sisters (I'm the oldest of 4 girls). Not all of them have been successful I think they are lazy personally and it's just too much work for them. However Both my Mom and Aunt who had previously successfully quit smoking are now vaping no nic juice. My mom is heavier about it then my aunt and carries hers with her wherever she goes. I'm not sure really what to think about this, I mean is there a point, they quit smoking and very successfully, they aren't even getting nicotine out of it...just strikes me as kinda odd is all.

thoughts, opinions??

Angel

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
I don't really know what to think about it either. I know some people do it, and I can see the comfort of old habits without having the addictive part, but I don't know if I would personally go that route. I'm also afraid it gives some ammunition to anti-smoking zealots who point to e-cigarettes as a gateway to people falling off the wagon or picking up tobacco cigarettes.

To each his own I suppose, I don't think technically speaking there's a huge amount of risk with zero nic, but the number is possibly higher than 0 risk which is more than you have with not smoking.

HeadLikeOrange

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
If she's vaping zero-nic and she's happy with it, more power to her. She clearly misses the affectation -- not the drug.

I don't know how old your mom is, but my philosophy is that if you hit 70 doing whatever you're doing (smoking, drinking, eating poorly, whatever), then you've won. You've beaten science and more power to you. My father-in-law drinks a half-case of Bud a night and a full case a day on weekends. The man is 73 and in good health -- more robust than some 30-something friends of mine. Who am I to tell him what to do?

MrsAngelD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2010
A, A
www.TheDallemagnes.com
Its too bad that they didn't just give up nicotine forever, but at the same time, if she always was craving cigarettes, you never know if she would have broken down and gone back to analogs.

I'd say overall this is a good thing.

She did give up nicotine, she's vaping zero nicotine juice. ;)

If she's vaping zero-nic and she's happy with it, more power to her. She clearly misses the affectation -- not the drug.

I don't know how old your mom is, but my philosophy is that if you hit 70 doing whatever you're doing (smoking, drinking, eating poorly, whatever), then you've won. You've beaten science and more power to you. My father-in-law drinks a half-case of Bud a night and a full case a day on weekends. The man is 73 and in good health -- more robust than some 30-something friends of mine. Who am I to tell him what to do?

My mom is 55 :), yeah it's just kinda odd to me is all...but hey if she likes it she likes it...lol.

sweetmeat

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
Canada

Yup! My grandpa started smoking at 4 years old!!!!!!! He drank a lot, ate like crap, never wore a jacket in winter and never went to a doctor! He made it to 86!! Sometimes you just have to go with the flow, no point stopping when you made it that long. I can understand a quitter wanting the joy of smoking without returning to the risk and addiction of cigs. If it keeps her happy thats what counts :)

pyro13g

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
NE Ohio
It's a breathing thing. As in, you know how they teach breathing techniques for relaxation, anxiety, etc.. Same thing and the breathing aspect is something many people need to replace after quitting smoking. I'm one of them. I feel the anxiety well up and that's when I really want a cigarette. I can kill most of that urge with a breathing technique similar to this Deep Breathing

The pyro that I am wants to see the smoke, the addict that I'm am wants the nicotine.(working on that part), and I like to blow smoke rings. I'll probably always vape, just 0 nic eventually. And should I hit 70 years old you will find me on the porch smoking analogs and chasing them with Blue Moon and Wild Turkey.

Last edited:

Lambo-

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2011
Batavia, Ohio
I can kind of see where she is coming from. For me its the act of smoking that I really enjoy. I went several weeks vaping 0-nic juice and had no problems.
I simply like the way it feels taking a nice drag and feeling it fill my lungs. Watching the smoke is another thing about it I enjoy.
I say its a good thing because it gives her enjoyment and she's not smoking the analogs.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
So my mom quit smoking cold turkey about 13 years ago, however she said she always craved cigarettes. Even years later she still had cravings. Well I discovered e-ciggs after months of unsuccessfully trying everything else to quit smoking. I then introduced them to my sisters (I'm the oldest of 4 girls). Not all of them have been successful I think they are lazy personally and it's just too much work for them. However Both my Mom and Aunt who had previously successfully quit smoking are now vaping no nic juice. My mom is heavier about it then my aunt and carries hers with her wherever she goes. I'm not sure really what to think about this, I mean is there a point, they quit smoking and very successfully, they aren't even getting nicotine out of it...just strikes me as kinda odd is all.

thoughts, opinions??

Angel

Posts like these are not helpful to those of us who do not want ecigs to be banned.

zomgname

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
AR
I cold turkey quit smoking a few years ago. ever since then every single day I thought about it. I wanted to smoke. I wanted to go sneak one out of family/friends packs. I thought it was a nicotine craving. even after quitting I wasn't free of them...

then I started vaping again after a short go at it a year ago. Im mostly using only 4-6mg juice and I don think I need that much. it was the hand to mouth act that I was craving I realize that now. ever since I started I finally feel emotionally better. I'm not always thinking about it. I don't always have my pv with me but I feel fine knowing I can go get it without guilt.

so I technically went from not smoking after quitting to an ecig. of I didn't I know I would of picked up a real one, the craving was almost getting to a breaking point. if people are struggling like this after quitting, I think going to a no nic ecig can help just ... free their mind from the lingering need / want of the act. it's really tiring to fight all dua everyday. and I lot of people lose.

Moon62

Oct 24, 2011
Las Cruces, NM
My wife I quit analogs 7 years ago. We started to vape 7 weeks ago. She always missed smoking, but I didn't. What I did miss is the relaxing qualities nicotine has. This is proven. I have agoraphobia with panic attacks. I take zoloft and xanax for it. Instead of having to take a xanax to go somewhere I now vape when I'm out. Both the action of having something to keep me distracted from all the "activity" going on, such as in crowded stores, and the calming effect of nicotine helps me greatly.

This is much better than the xanax. I don't have to be drugged to dumbness to function and worried about addiction to a medication famous for its dangerousness. When held up against nicotine, nicotine is much safer. It appears your mom missed smoking, but made the right decision by going with vaping whether with nicotine or not.

Trilly

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
My mom is heavier about it then my aunt and carries hers with her wherever she goes. I'm not sure really what to think about this, I mean is there a point, they quit smoking and very successfully, they aren't even getting nicotine out of it...just strikes me as kinda odd is all.

My mum decided to quit analogues with me by vaping but while we were waiting for her goodies to arrive this is a point that came up in discussion, for her it wasn't just the nicotine addiction but also the psychological addiction of the 'hand to mouth' motion, that alone is her comfort blanket. Like me she has tried but always been triggered back to analogues (saying that, I would rather she gets back to nic rather than alcohol which is harder for her to quit) so we already have a strategy in mind, like me sh does want to eventually get to 0 nic but will continue to vape, that way she still has her 'comforter', and she will keep some nic juice then god forbide a situation arises that would normally have her reaching for an analogue (or worse, the whiskey) then she is prepared.
Everyone 'smoked' for different reasons and got something different out of it, sounds to me that smoking was your mums comforter and if vaping is keeping her away from analogues then I'd be over the moon.
Since I started vaping less than a month ago I now have my mum on board along with her brother and a further 17 people from the building where I work, the owner of my favourite bookshop (who when we first mentioned it to him thought vaping was the funniest most ridiculous idea he had ever heard of but now, in 10 days is promoting vaping by allowing it in his shop) and finally, a complete stranger (now a friend) who gets the train with me. Whether they keep it up is up to them but they now know there is an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread