Fancy(ish) builds and (slightly) higher resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I really like building. I build a lot. I like making fancy builds, "fancy" of course being subjective. Claptons, fused claptons, aliens, dragonskin, even twisted can be nice when I just want something simple. There are certainly far more complicated builds than those, but I tend to zero in on the intersection between building time, practicality, and performance. Every so often I'll try something really crazy.

Anyway, this is somewhat less of an issue with simple claptons or even fused, to a degree, but I feel like a lot of the more complicated builds are all super subohm. I realize with some of them it's practically unavoidable, and I do like it low sometimes. I'm currently using a .12 dual zipper build.

But I have a lot of devices, including some that simply can't handle those kinds of builds. That and I use more regulated devices than mechs and I mostly try to keep the resistance higher since there are a lot of benefits (better battery life, less taxing, can get the same/similar flavor and vapor at a lower power with the right build, etc.) Then there are my on-the-go devices like the Pico (75W) and even the istick 30W. The 30W wouldn't fire those crazy low builds and wouldn't put out vapor if it did, and I prefer not to run the Pico at a full 75W, which regardless is still pretty low power for certain builds.

So is there anyone else here who likes doing moderate-to-very complicated builds but also sometimes aims for higher resistances? Anywhere from .35 to back over the one ohm mark. I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for here, maybe just to start a bit of a dialogue. There are definitely differences IMO, even things like selecting the appropriate gauge outer wire and getting the right stretch for an alien with a thinner core, for example. Or I'd love to know people's experience with twisting a larger number of super thin wires... I've got some 36-46g nichrome coming (mostly for wrapping).

Reactions: Lizard King

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
I tend to build between .2 and .4 ohms (single and dual), with the occasional excursion into a single coil around .5 to .8. Claptons (including fused) and tiger wire are generally my preferred builds, and i am still trying to get my technique for Tidal and Tsuka down. But yeah, I see those complex ulta low builds and while they do indeed look good, I just don't want to take it THAT far.

The most time I will put into a single coil is making a laced parallel. Still a work in progress, I've only made two so far and I am still on the fence if 30-45 minutes per coil is worth the time invested.

JZO0KfDl.jpg

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

Lizard King

Jun 4, 2016
I don't do anything more fancy than claptons and twisted but I like to keep up near 0.7 or 0.8 because I like to MTL every few draws (straight to lung for about 5 draws then a cheeky MTL, then back to STL). Find it frustrating that to do duals I have to work with 29 or 30g just to keep the resistance up around where I want it to be (almost impossible with Clapton coils).

Working with 30g is like trying to build with human hair.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
@Lizard King forget about 30g, I just wrapped a fused clapton this AM with 40g nichrome o.o A royal PITA. It's working well but as you can imagine, barely worth the struggle.

Why exactly are you having trouble keeping your claptons at a higher resistance? Is it just because you feel like you have to use thicker wire if you're wrapping with 30g? I've made some excellent dual claptons with 28g and even 30g wire as the core, and you can be sure they weren't clocking in at .3ohms. But, you can't really wrap a 30g core with 30g wire so they are most certainly a pain to deal with. Just pointing out that single-core claptons don't have to be too low, necessarily. I actually find them easier in that regard than twisted.

@mcclintock there's a thought, thanks. I've made lots of parallel coils but never triple and never with a really thin wire, so I'll have to try it out.

@Taowulf yeah, I hear you. I don't necessarily mind pushing it really low on certain devices, even on a fairly regular basis but I also have lots of use for higher res builds and simply don't always want to be getting 150W to the face. I like making sure I have an RDA or RTA available for my lower power devices and for any time I need a break. Even today I will still vape as low as 7-10W, except I will also (obviously) go much higher.

I've never used a laced parallel but TBH there aren't too many coils that I'd say are worth that kind of time investment unless you can truly make it last for a long, long time. I can think of a pretty large handful of coils that shouldn't take near that long and will work quite well. Certainly I'm not telling you what to do, just my 2c :)

Reactions: Lizard King
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread