Fasttech Kayfun ES 3.1 and Taifun GT are full of surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDTrucking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
California
Finally, I had my two defective kayfun’s 3.1 replaced by FT. The original order was placed on Dec. 20/2013. Today is March 5/2014 and I received my replacements today. The reason I had them replaced because they were shorting right in the 510 connection of it. See Picture.

I thought the replacements would be better? Wrong. They are worse. Both have the same shorting problem, but this time I figured out why: The center screw that serves as a positive connector fits in the insulator very loosely, thus allows for access play causing the head of the screw touch the side wall and create “Short Circuit”. I pulled a little tiny plastic tubing over the screw and that fixed the problem.
Not to mention that both units were very dirty. I even found a few metal shavings inside left from when they were machined. In one of them, the deck’s positive terminal was loosely swinging back and forth touching the negative terminal. Trying to tighten the center pin didn’t help because the metal wall of the deck on one of them was thinner than the other. And the tube of the plastic insulator protruded too far inside the deck not allowing to tighten the positive terminal firmly. I had to file that tube down to make it work. I don’t know if you can see that on my picture, but the top tube of the chimney is expended for some reason (again, only on one of the units) and that tube does not fit in the O-ring of the top cap, and of course, the O-ring was missing, because there is no way you could put it together without damaging the O-ring. I had to fix that problem too by sanding the chimney and finding an O-ring. I’m not going to have these Kayfuns replaced by FT because there is no use in it.

[/CENTER[/URL]]
I don’t know who the manufacturer of this product is. I know it NOT EHPRO because I have one from them and it is way better made with no logo though, but with the bottom Fill Screw. I know it is NOT hcigar because I have one of those too and they are much better quality clones 1:1. I hope it is NOT ToBeCo, because I own other products of ToBeCo and no complaints.
Does anyone know who makes fast tech KayFun 3.1? The worst Kayfun I have ever seen.
I also had a Fast Tech Taifun GT replaced because the one I originally received had no threads under one of the Terminal screws. That’s right: Not Stripped threads – NO threads. Just a hole in which the screw was inserted all the way and would fall out if you flip it upside down. I posted Product Review on it but Fast Tech didn’t publish it. My replacement didn’t have that problem, but it had another: The collapsible chimney would not collapse. It is so snug that I’m afraid to brake it if I fours it too much. And by too much – I mean: put it on the floor and step on it or squeeze it in a vise. Everything else I already tried – no use. I built it anyway with SS Mash wick and 0.01X0.08 Flat Kanthal ribbon to 0.7 Ohms, put it on Chi You and I love it! Hard to work without being able to collapse the chimney though… But for $19.95 and Free Shipping – I’m going to keep it.

DelboyinDorset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Dorset - UK
My VB KFL+ had self loosening centre post and shorting, I put a stop to that by putting a very tiny sliver of plastic cut to size in between the two blocks so if it loosened it wouldn't short there, no problems since and once I had it all tightened up, it has loosened either (touch wood)

I have the Focalecig KF3.1ES and the build quality of it is like a different level, FT sell it as the chromed brass ES but its only the deck that is actually chromed brass, everything else including the baseplate seems to be SS, I stripped it down thinking of machine oil in the centre post innards but it was completely clean, no oil or the hint of it anywhere which surprised me. The downside though seems to be the side port filling, it just doesn't do that so has to be hat filled which isn't a biggie and its not a whistler either, completely silent draw which beats my FL and Plus into the mud over lol

My FT Rocket which is a clone again of the ES is due next week so really looking forward to that.

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Florida (east coast)
If it says Together Best cooperation on the box it's Tobeco as with most FT Keyfuns. Hence they are cheaper then the other knockoffs which even come with better tools, decks and screws. From what I gather they are graded and FT gets the lesser grades. I bought four rockets from different sellers (two from each) one who I know uses FT and the quality was inferior. Another seller gets his from a different source (wont tell me who for obvious reasons) and the quality of the threading and overall product is much better. Then again the lesser quality cost me $25 and the better ones cost me $40 so you ultimately get what you pay for. I really would like to buy from China and save money but i'd rather pay someone else to deal with the headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread