Favorite, AFFORDABLE mods - Please help me decide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachiaiko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
Rainier, WA
Hi folks..

Today is my birthday! :beams: Hehe, the big 31, i still cant believe it! Where did alla the time go? lol!

Anyhow, i currently own a Maxi Roughstack....

.... and i HATE it!

Oh don't get me wrong, when i FIRST began vaping, i used one of them crappy pathetic kind that look like cigarettes. The Roughstack was a MASSIVE improvement, and since i'm on disability/fixed income that is insanely LOW (a whole nother discussion) my ability to afford these incredibly nice, special PV's are really nill.

But it IS my birthday, which means i may be able to get a nice new PV *crosses her fingers!* woohoo!

I would LOVE your feedback, input, advice etc on which PV's you think I might love!

This is what i currently Use cisco 306 1.5 ohm atty dripping at 3.7v on a Maxi Roughstack.

I like a pretty stiff through hit, and i LOVE seeing clouds of vapor (which i have never gotten without the Cisco Atty, i got little plumes, but not CLOUDS lol)

I also liked vaping at 2-2.5 ohms using a Puck-style box mod getting i think it was 4.8v

So, here are the problems with my Roughstack, and i'll mention that my brother, who got a Roughstack from me for christmas at exactly the same time as I got mine has NONE of these problems, so maybe the problems i suffer are just a BAD unit. I dunno.

The roughstack is less then 6 months old.

Problems:

1. The threads have almost completely stripped. I mean, really. The cap pops off randomly now when in my pocket :rolls her eyes: I'm constantly diving to the floor to find where it fell, and since my family raises dogs, it can be dangerous for puppies who see something shinny (partially, since the paint is now totally peeled off) object and think they found a floor-score! lol

2. The Button is VERY hard on my hands. I have a chronic pain condition and having to wiggle around a button that fires maybe once every 3 seconds is the biggest PAIN especially because its one of those sharp pointy tiny buttons that dig into your fingers. I would LOVE a button like the GLV (is that the right name?) that nice, big, soft button, one that wont hurt me every time i press it.
a. The button also has major firing issues. Hardly ever fires anymore, and is a huge problem. I'm constantly fiddling with it to get it to work. The button also i thought I was getting was a mechanical easily replaceable one. But i ended up with a soldered unit, for whatever reason. I was really disapointed when i opened it up to see why it wasnt firing properly to find that out.

3. Less important, but equally annoying - I got the orange powdered coating on my Roughstack - and its PEELED off. Not chipped, PEELED. The thing is half coated in Orange paint, half silver, the paint doesnt all just peel off either so it looks worse then my BOX mod. If i was an easily embarassed woman, thankfully i'm not, but if i was, i'd be mortified to vape this in public!! i thought powder coatings CHIPPED not Peeled, i'm wondering if my unit just was missed by QC.

I have thought about getting a Pawz mod from Parkes vaping but they use the same hard kind of pointing painful button that the roughstack uses.

My DREAM PV:

Switchable from an 18650 to to cr123's - I mostly vape at 3.7 but i loved my 4.8 box mod. :) Vari Vold would be nice, but really not needed especially for the price of a Vari Volt.

I'm less inclined towards box mods because they are uncomfortable in my hands in most cases, and if a pointy sharp button drives me nuts that will tell you how sensitive my hands are.

I LOVE The Saber Touch's , i think they are absolutely beautiful. Seriously. I love them. I love the idea of how their buttons work. I wish i could afford one lol.

PV's have gone up in price, at least the nice mods, so far as i can tell. I'm simple. I want it to WORK, and Work ALL THE TIME, have a great Battery life, be durable, and look nice. Thats it.

Suggestions!! Lemme have em!!

Sachi, the recent Lurker, but long time member. :)

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
You didn't mention a price range for your dream mod. To get quality and performance, you pretty much have to pay for it. From reading your post, the Ipro comes to mind. It's got a good reputation and not too pricey as far as good devices go. I would recommend a LT but now a days, they are so many versions and so many sellers that it's hard to determine what may be good and what isn't ..plus some of them are acting up. I don't know how much a Saber Touch is but if that's your dream mod.. save up and buy it.. if you're anything like the rest of us.. you won't be satisfied till you have what you want. :blush:

sachiaiko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
Rainier, WA
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: not allowed

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Well, like you I wanted something a bit more permanent that looked nice. I went with Pure Smoker's legacy. I just got the thing today but it's pretty impressive. All solid steel construction, use 18650 battery (2600 mah) but can also be configured to work with the kick (additional 45$) with either an extension sleeve or a smaller battery 18490 (i think).

Go over to his site and look at the device. I can't image this thing ever breaking. I'm only using the 3.7v right now but do plan to add the kick shortly. I may even buy another one. It's an entirely mechanical device. It's a sturdy as they come.

sumoman25

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2011
South Dakota
The bolt has some good feedback, and is cheaper than the roughstack. Rockin' the side mounted button it would be a hell of a lot more comfortable than the roughstack (I know your pain). Personally I like mechanical mods, but that would probably hurt worse if you have arthritis or something to that effect, plus there aren't any cheap ones. I'd recommend a simple 3.7 volt tube mod. vaprlife has the vp2bb, something like that, check it out.

sachiaiko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
Rainier, WA
Thanks guys! you are giving me some great Recomendations!

OH! I would LOVE a mechanical mod, i think that would be really neat.but, i must say, The roughstack is already heavy and with my messed up hands i tend to drop stuff - get this, i DROPPED my roughstack on a chihuahua's HEAD! :cringe: OMG, she seriously had a concussion. I felt so aweful. Thank GOD it was a headheaded dog, many chihuahua's have an open fontenell (open soft spot on the head) and that coulda killed er. Aweful! I'm assuming mechanical mods both are HEAVY and i didnt think about them being harder on my hands. Is that the case?

As for the bolt, i agree it would be more comfortable. But i have to say i am not all that happy with Madvapes in general lately.

Before this last christmas i had TONS of great experiences with them. Christmas rolls around, and EVERYTHING i get from them besides Juice has been next to useless. Id unno if their QC went down at christmas time and they never got it back up or what.

I have recieved my bum Roughstack, 3 bum bateries (ALL of them) and a useless Charger! Seriously?! Thats like all the money i had for batteries and PVs All got ate up by Roughstack.

If they offer to replace my roughstack with a Bolt, I might accept that. But i dont really think i'm gonna be GIVING Madvapes much more money to be frank. And since my favorite Juice changed from a madvapes Caremel to Joogler honeysuckle, and joogler ECTO - my ordering from them has dropped substantially. From 1-2 times a month ordering from Madvapes to 1 time in the last few months. Because i just cant trust their products anymore. And last time even the caremel juice didnt taste good. :shrugs:

Sachi

BGabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Indiana
After reading your post I have an idea. The Bolt is a very decent mod for the money. The button is similar to the style used on the GLVs. It’s big and doesn’t require a lot of effort to push. Similar to the Roughstack, it’s made of aluminum. I’m not sure how the threading has stripped on your RS, but I’ve owned my Bolt for close to 3 months and have yet to have ANY issue with it. They range from $40 - $50 depending on where you get it. I bought mine from myvaporstore.com because for $47 it included the extender ring which allows the mod to accept an 18650 size battery. Pair that with a 4.8v NiMH battery and you’ve got yourself a nice setup. Or for 3.7v, you can just swap out the NiMH for a Li-ion. Just remember that you need a special charger for the NiMH batteries so there is another expense, tho not an expensive one.
I would also suggest getting one of the painted versions of Bolt because the chrome finish seems to scratch easily.

sachiaiko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
Rainier, WA
And btw, i would call myself a Heavy Vaper. The thing is always in my hand. I have everywhere. All the time. I vaped all over the HOSPITAL last month (where i lived most of last month, lol) I had nurses looking at me with both ucertainty (because the Roughstack looked so bad) and curiousity (because PV's are awesome!)

My hospital has gone totally SMOKE FREE. No smoking area, if patients try and sneak outside to smoke they get discharged. They offer Patches, Gum and smoking ceasation supplimentation but you arent allowed to smoke there. So E-Cigs are reallyy interesting to all the nurses in that hospital who see patients in Nic fits alla the time.

Sachi

sachiaiko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
Rainier, WA
Isnt the Bolt made by Madvapes? If its not made by the same company as the roughstack i'd be more interested.

My brother has looked at my Roughstack and can NOT figure out why the threads are totally Shot to hell. There is this weird Black Buildup that keeps showing up on the threads no matter HOW OFTEN i clean them. In fact, Now, i can't open the thing with out help. my brother, who is probably my best friend (its nice to grow up and find out you have a best friend in your siblings, dont you think?) is constantly Fighting the thing open because with my hands, i cant even unscrew it. And even HE who HAS NO hand problems has trouble getting it open.

Sachi

sachiaiko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
Rainier, WA
And if the both is made with the same metal as the roughstack, you're right, it scratches. Seriously, i wish i had a picture of this thing, you guys would die laughing if you say it.

It looks like it got run over by a truck, on gravel, while it was hailing, then a whole bunch of kittens used it for a scratch post.

lol

My brothers, btw, has no weird Black buildup on the threads, no problems like mine, though his was sent to us without a spring inside we basically salvaged a spring out of some old electronic and got it working that way. He's been happy with it besides the spring issue. And his looks brand new. I mean, i expected some wear, specially with my troubles. I knew My bro's would look better then mine 6 months down the line, but this is ridiculous.

I'm seeing that MOST good PV's are gonna be over 100bucks. So it looks like i'm just going to have to eat the cost and buy a NICE PV. Which, i'm really hoping i can afford by the end of the day.

Have any of you looked at the Sabertouches? They have this NEAT button that if you touch the cap and the button at the same time, your body completes the circut and so it never discharges in your pocket. it CANT discharge in your pocket.

BGabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Indiana
Sounds like oxidation. It’s something that happens with aluminum. I’ve never experienced it that bad, but I had an old V.1 RS that would get gunk built up on it. That could be the cause of it not wanting to fire 100% of the time. After 6 months, your button should be fine. When the oxidation builds up, it is non-conductive. So, your cap may not be getting a proper ground from the negative side of the battery because it can’t pass through the threads. I used to clean mine with rubbing alcohol. You will see a lot of people suggesting to use something called Noalox on the threads. It’s a lubricating compound that prevents build up and helps lube the threads so it will screw on and off easily.

As for the Bolt, it is not made by or for Madvapes. It’s made by Smoketech. It had its fair share of shortcomings when it first came out, but I think they have worked out all the kinks.

And, as much I as love Madvapes, I have to agree that the quality of their products is slowly declining and their prices are slowly rising. But, I still use them for a lot things, I’ve just found that I like to order hardware, such as PVs and batteries elsewhere.

sachiaiko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
Rainier, WA
BGabe, Thanks for your info.

I'm sure that could be the problem. Unfortunately, as much as i clean it, it still does not FIX IT.

And as for the threads being stripped, i doubt thats from the build up. Maybe it is, but when i say stripped i MEAN stripped. At first it only close using HAlf the threasd, then it went down, further and further, and now it holds closed by only the tiniest LIP of the threads. if that makes sense the way o'm describing it. :ponders: Regardless, the thing needs replacing, i think. I was hoping i could get a back up before i sent it back to them. Thats the plan, since i have no back up at all currently, i cant send it back until i do. :Shrugs:

Sachi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread