Favorite flavor vendor for DIY ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeDentist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
NJ
I'm looking to get into DIY however I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options and vendor choices. For example I love fruit flavors - what would the flavor profile of a honeydew flavor taste like from loran, tfa, flavor art, vs others... Looking for some opinions as to why you would choose one vendor over another - is there a major quality difference among vendors - budget isn't an option - Im really thinking i would love to tinker with the whole mixology aspect of vaping - what has been your experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
Well, IMO each flavorist has good flavors and not-so-good ones. A lot like juice vendors; the answer is dependent on what specific flavor you want, not vendors themselves. You asked a good example there: "who makes the best honeydew", or, even better "what kinds of honeydew flavoring are available?"

Flavor West is supposed to be easy to mix & good for beginners. Most any of their flavorings will result in something vapable and can be reliably mixed at 15%. I love many FW flavors, especially tobaccos. I have heard similar claims about capellas.

TFA is anybody's guess: each flavor requires different percentages, they have a ton of flavorings of varying quality & taste. Some people despise TFA entirely. Some love them exclusively. I notice more disagreement & confusion about this company than any of the others. I use quite a few from TFA.

Flavour Art is considered higher quality, and is usually a bit more expensive. They have many flavors, though not all of them actually taste good in e-juice. They make quite a few exotic or unique flavors, and they offer many extracts/add-ons that are not for flavoring per se but for tweaking mixes.

Nature's Flavors is... ok, if you are a beginner just stay away from them. I love NF but they are very hit-or-miss, are alcohol-based and thus a PitA to work with, and they are constantly steeped (har!) in controversy.

There are plenty of other flavorists but these are the ones I have experience with.

My advice to a new DIYer would be to pick a couple end-juices you want to vape, concentrate on researching the small sets of flavors that would go into these, go to a place like OneStop which sells flavoring from multiple sources, and work within the small set of flavorings. F.e. you want to make a caramel apple juice, so read up on caramel & apple flavorings, sweetener, maybe a couple other things that could go into that recipe: brown sugar, almond... idk, you get the idea. You will notice there are apple, green apple, apple candy, apple cider; caramel, caramel cream, caramel candy...etc. Probably a couple straight caramel apple flavorings too. Buy a couple apple flavorings, a couple caramels...etc and mix away.

The research curve for in-depth DIY 'mixology' is huge, but worth it if you want a new hobby.

Last edited:

VapeDentist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
NJ
Thanks for the response... I appreciate the time and detail you provided it is surely helpful...

I am a wine collector and winemaker as well, let me correct, not a collector a drinker, if I collected all my wine would be on a rack and wouldn't be enjoyed - it is made for consumption and enjoyment - hours have gone into tweaking sugars, acidity, tannins, fermentation, aging....etc.... The enjoyment is in the process

The outcome of a beautiful wine from a cab Sauvignon grape (though the same grape) is so affected by how it's farmed, where, soil, weather, harvest time, juice extraction, etc......there are so many subtle variables that affect the outcome

I'm trying to gain a real appreciation to understand what it takes to craft a real artisan juice ....your thoughts are so appreciated....thank you and everyone from Ecf for always paying it forward....

Any other comments are so welcomed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dvx67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2013
Lexington, KY
So far I have several flavors from TFA and VapingZone. I'm just getting started and yes it is overwhelming. But you have to start somewhere and I really like the idea of having the flexibility to experiment and find combinations that I really like and can make myself. I have about 4 mixes that I really like and I have made about twice that many (small batches) that are not good at all. I think a good way to get started is to buy several of the super concentrated flavors from VZ, and just mix one flavor per sample and start at 3 - 5% flavoring. These are pretty good and you can build on what you learn. Another thing to consider is your preferred mix of PG/VG. I started at 70/30 but seem to be moving towards 50/50. This affects how much flavor you get so your recipes will change if you change this ratio. So try to keep it simple at first and settle on your PG/VG ratio before getting too involved with mixing multiple flavors. And document each mix, and use syringes so that you get accurate measurements. I don't use "drops" or "squeezes" (LOL). I prefer to use the most precise measurements possible, within reason.

Chiku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I am really liking the super concentrate fruit flavors from Vaping Zone and Ecigexpress. I have blackberry and strawberry from VZ, and pear, peach, and apricot from Ecigexpress. I have mixed all of them at 2.5%. I am really new to DIY, and they have been much easier for me to work with than TPA and FW. I also have had good luck with a couple of Capella flavors, cinnamon Danish swirl and waffle, at 7%.

Good luck.

flavsfood

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Miami,Fl
i get my unflavored nic from myfreedomsmokes.com
they are very fast and the quality is great!
I have tryed FA, Lorannes, and TPA flavors, they are ok but I have found my new vendor, she makes her own stuff and also NET tobaccos
the tobaccos are the best Iv had
and the roasted almond cake is to dye for!!
myvapejuice.com, she (Diane) has the best flavor extracts Iv had so far!!

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I've tried most flav manufacturers over time. If pressed to recommend one line for a n00b DIYer, it would be Vaping Zone Super Concentrates. A drop per ml will get ya in da ballpark flav wise; adjust as/if needed. My recipes actually work out to 1.1 drop/ml (2.5%).

I'm also a Capella fan. But for me, the other lines are kind of a 'crap shoot' as to which flav will be acceptable or not.

BTW, I'm not a 'bakky flav vaping fan, so I can't help ya there.

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2012
BELLE VERNON PA.
Save 20% with Coupon Code: SAVE20
All customers can save 20% on liquid nicotine, PG, VG, concentrated flavors and laboratory glassware plus pretty much everything else. Free shipping on all USA orders over $75.00. Sale starts on April 19 and ends midnight April 22. One time use coupon. $25.00 minimum order.
:D

AngelsBreath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Alabama, United States
Another vote for Vaping Zone, awesome, pure spot on flavors. You get exactly what you expect and no surprises lol. I have just begun to DIY but I did do my homework on it. I used a method from a member here, darkhood, can't seem to find his post. You get unflavored nic juice at your mg strength. I like My Freedom Smokes, the prices are insanely low and the shipping is insanely fast. Then what I did was used the VZ flavors, not super concentrated and mixed 8ml nic juice and 2ml flavor and 5 drops of the EM sweetener (also from MFS) it was perfect.

mayamason

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
North Carolina
Yet another +1 for VapingZone. The primary reason they are good for beginners is the low % they require to find the taste you like. Its much easier to tweak a recipe if you know the sweet spot is between 2.5% to 5% than it is from 5% to 25% with non-super-concentrates.

Also, their flavors are really really good. If you like fruits, I *highly* recommend the blackberry.

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
I've tried a great deal at this point and love and use the most of: most of Vaping Zone SC's, many of FlavorWest particularly the multi flavor combos available at diyjuice.com, Diane's DIY extracts at myvapejuice.com are awesome, Nature's Flavors Kona Cream, Hangsen tobaccos, a few of FlavourArt, a few of Capella's.

Last edited:

~Shado~

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2010
^-^-^5280^-^-^
Lots of info given here...but....the main one to realise is that the end result is what YOU are really after.

Each persons flavor receptors and desired results will vary....therefore....take all you read here with somewhat of a grain of salt when it comes to the many venders offered.

You will find that any one venders flavor may be missing something or have something it that you dont dig....brightness, dull, sweet, sour, perfumy, candy, etc.....the best flavor for YOUR juice will/may be a blend of several venders flavor.

I personally use 5 different caramel flavorings to achieve what I consider my prefered final juice.....and yes....they include some of the so called "CRAP" vender flavorings.
So, yea...again....a grain of salt will be your best friend.

Mixing is part of the joy and sorrows of this wonderland of vaping.....so....have fun, and learn from your sucesses and failures.

hempnotized42

Feb 8, 2013
Rochester MN
does anyone know where I can get a good lychee flavor? besides from natures flavors? I ordered from them a month ago, still havent received anything, including no confirmation that my order was even received, even though my credit card has been charged!, looking into canceling my order and getting my money back, but in the meantime I've got all my supplies except the flavor and Im really craving some lychee juice, unfortunately Im having a hard time finding it from anywhere other than those NF jerks

Chiku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Alberta, Canada
does anyone know where I can get a good lychee flavor? besides from natures flavors? I ordered from them a month ago, still havent received anything, including no confirmation that my order was even received, even though my credit card has been charged!, looking into canceling my order and getting my money back, but in the meantime I've got all my supplies except the flavor and Im really craving some lychee juice, unfortunately Im having a hard time finding it from anywhere other than those NF jerks

Ecigexpress has a couple. One is from the fruit express line, I like some other flavors from that line. Fruit Express Lychee 10ml

Or Lychee by FlavourArt
Or
Lychee by Signature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread