Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Sounds good. I've seen it before, methinks... I have a folder with all kinds of recipes that looked good to me--but it's a very thick folder. :lol: Plus I have a separate folder (somewhere) with Hic's recipes from years ago... But his blog is gone. :cry: I tried to find his notes of FA flavors on Google, but my Malwarebytes block it and won't let me exclude it. I'm so sad. So I've been reading through his closed thread... Not the same thing.

TFA creams have diacetyl, don't they? IIRC.

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hello y'all! I need help. I'm thinking about switching to DIY but I have no clue where to begin with tobacco flavors. First of all, I had given up on tobaccos a long time ago--the only cigarette-like vape for me is unflavored. :facepalm: Yeah, I'm that bad. But I remember fondly a few very mild Chinese tobaccos, from way back, that I actually enjoed. The Gold Tobacco in GreenCigs, and some no/name vanilla tobacco that doesn't exist anymore, and BWB menthol tobacco (very mild and inoffensive).

I don't want anything assertive--no pipe, cigar, nutty, sweet, smoky, ashy, RY4, NETs. I'm looking for a mildest cig flavor possible, something I could add @1-2% to my unflavored to just give it a hint of cigarette flavor. Something that might mix well with a bit of menthol or vanilla or cocoa.

I'm thinking something like HS Parliament, Virginia, B&S; or FA Maxx or Royal (is 7 Leaf really that anisy?); perhaps something flue cured-INW or HS?).

Anyway, thank you all in advance--I'm going to read back, also. This is my watched thread, so I've been reading it for a long time, but never posted. Until now. :)

Is Danny MIA? Anyone knows?
Hi Katya...The only one that I think is kind'a close would one of the Turkish Blends...HA / INW / FE / TFA...I've only tried the FE which most think is re-labeled HA...My best impression is it's something like a Winston...A little lighter and sweeter than a traditional "Red"...

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Turkish Blends..

Turkish? Oy boy, why did I ask? :D

I thought I had my selection narrowed down to just a few flavors... This is never going to end. I'll never find my ADV tobacco, ever. :lol:

Just FYI--I've been at it for at least six years. :facepalm:

Reactions: Trigster

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

Not to my knowledge. Some of the Capella's do, although they have "equivalent" flavors without. (Some say they do taste different, I can't tell :lol:)

And the tiny amounts of it that might be there, once blended and diluted down, are nowhere near the same as working 8 hours a day in a diacetyl dust filled popcorn plant.

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Sounds good. I've seen it before, methinks... I have a folder with all kinds of recipes that looked good to me--but it's a very thick folder. :lol: Plus I have a separate folder (somewhere) with Hic's recipes from years ago... But his blog is gone. :cry: I tried to find his notes of FA flavors on Google, but my Malwarebytes block it and won't let me exclude it. I'm so sad. So I've been reading through his closed thread... Not the same thing.

Quick Note...Most of the TFA flavors that had "Diacetyl" are now available without and they're really good about disclosing which do and do not on their Web Site...And some really good info on the subject...
Perfumer's Apprentice

LOL :lol:...Tobacco flavors are another world unto themselves !!!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
LOL :lol:...Tobacco flavors are another world unto themselves !!!

Tell me about it... Smoking was much easier. :rolleyes:

Thank you, gentlemen. I've been reading all afternoon (while watching the Dodger game :D). I'm cross-eyed. Time to walk the dog! TTFN

Reactions: Trigster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I'm thinking something like HS Parliament, Virginia, B&S; or FA Maxx or Royal (is 7 Leaf really that anisy?); perhaps something flue cured-INW or HS?).

You pretty well listed the tobac flavors I don't like either or like a cigar I blend(Cohiba) less than 1% in a blend and only tolerate building 30mls and that lasts me ages, like the turkish too...don't mind the vape but not for any length of time.

HS virginia is a nice vape but the FA virginia is mighty sweet compared to the HS. I have a (FA I think) Maxx blend and its YUK, dirty stale tasting. The FA 7 leaf does have a slight licorices taste to it, more noticeable in the smell than the taste. INW turkish is nice but blended in low percentage(1-2%) with other tobacs, as a standalone I don't like cause it borderlines on stale tasting. INW Garuda TA is a grassy vape that too is mild-3%. HS Elder Captain good mild tobac.
I'll plug HS highway and Desert ship if your looking for a nice mild tobac(3-5%) that blends with anything.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
You pretty well listed the tobac flavors I don't like either or like a cigar I blend(Cohiba) less than 1% in a blend and only tolerate building 30mls and that lasts me ages, like the turkish too...don't mind the vape but not for any length of time.

:facepalm:
HS virginia is a nice vape but the FA virginia is mighty sweet compared to the HS.

HS Virginia stays on the list.
HS virginia is a nice vape but the FA virginia is mighty sweet compared to the HS. I have a (FA I think) Maxx blend and its YUK, dirty stale tasting. The FA 7 leaf does have a slight licorices taste to it, more noticeable in the smell than the taste. INW turkish is nice but blended in low percentage(1-2%) with other tobacs, as a standalone I don't like cause it borderlines on stale tasting. INW Garuda TA is a grassy vape that too is mild-3%. HS Elder Captain good mild tobac.

:lol: OK, Elder added to the list, the rest is off. Well, maybe not the FA 7 leaf-yet. I don't dislike anise/licorice/fennel flavor or scent. I might even enjoy it. I finished a small bottle of Green Fairy (absinthe) once and lived, but never reordered. That was a really weird one.
I'll plug HS highway and Desert ship if your looking for a nice mild tobac(3-5%) that blends with anything.

They have been on my list forever. I'm just worried about that stale peanut taste I once got from a 5-pack of 555 cartomizers--that one was so nasty, that to this day when I see "nutty" in the description of a tobacco flavor, I give up. :D How nutty are they, anyway? Anything like that old 555 blend? And how sweet are they? I hate sweet tobaccos.

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I just tried HS Congress flavor at 5% and it turned out to be a very nice vape similar to the Parliament cigarettes I used to enjoy. At higher percentages, you will begin to detect a herbal taste - but not the kind of herb you are thinking of... It is very faint, and I can not quite describe it - Rosemary perhaps? But not exactly. Whatever it is, I enjoy it very much and it's going to be my all day vape.

Anise, perhaps? This Parliament sounds good. Maybe I'll get this instead of FA 7 Leaves. I don't think I can deal with a flavoring that requires weeks of steeping. Hmm...

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hello y'all! I need help. I'm thinking about switching to DIY but I have no clue where to begin with tobacco flavors. First of all, I had given up on tobaccos a long time ago--the only cigarette-like vape for me is unflavored. :facepalm: Yeah, I'm that bad. But I remember fondly a few very mild Chinese tobaccos, from way back, that I actually enjoed. The Gold Tobacco in GreenCigs, and some no/name vanilla tobacco that doesn't exist anymore, and BWB menthol tobacco (very mild and inoffensive).

I don't want anything assertive--no pipe, cigar, nutty, sweet, smoky, ashy, RY4, NETs. I'm looking for a mildest cig flavor possible, something I could add @1-2% to my unflavored to just give it a hint of cigarette flavor. Something that might mix well with a bit of menthol or vanilla or cocoa.

Anyway, thank you all in advance--I'm going to read back, also. This is my watched thread, so I've been reading it for a long time, but never posted. Until now. :)

Is Danny MIA? Anyone knows?
Hi Katya - I've only tried about a dozen tobacco flavors in diy. I'm a tobacco only guy. But it sounds like, without a doubt, INW Flue cured would be up your alley. It's nothing but tobacco. But unlike the others, it has full flavor, without a strong "kick." It has a very natural sweetness, very hay/strawlike, but none of the bite or harshness of some straight ahead tobacco flavors. I come back to this one over and over, when the others get to be too much. When I do a tank of unflavored, but want a touch of tobacco, this is the one I add a couple of squirts of. Yet it still goes in my stronger tank mixes, with HS Gold and Silver (very cig like, but strong), Cohiba (real cigar tobacco flavor, with the sharper high notes), and HS Tab (just a rich, full, well balanced tobacco, with low/high/midrange all pretty even).

Give this one a try - it plays well with all the other tobaccos, and probably other flavors as well. I'd think it'd really lend itself well to dessert flavors, especially. I'm thinking of adding some strawberry to my bullpen, and this would be the one I'd pair it with. Real tobacco, without overpowering. And it tastes great shake and vape - didn't change much at all after a month or so. Very surprising for tobacco, and especially INW.

And yes, 7 leaves gave me nothing but anise. The only flavor I got that I'll never try again (shudder).

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thank you, Dawg! :D I'll give that Flue Cured a try. Have you also tried HS flue cured, by any chance? Also, isn't HS Tab sweet? I thought is was.

Anyway, I really want to experiment with DIY tea vapes. I've been enjoying teas for a long time now [I love Ahlusion teas] because they are subtle and savory, and they have become a perfect replacement for tobacco for me. But since I'm loading my cart at BC, I thought I might add a couple of baccy flavors just for fun...:vapor:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
No, haven't tried HS flue. BCV only had the INW when I ordered. I don't really get a sweet taste out of the Tab. It might be very slightly sweetened to take off the sharp edges, but that's about it.
I'm not much of a tea drinker, but that does sound interesting as a change of pace. And I'm thinking of expanding my flavor arsenal, so let me know how that goes.

Reactions: DavidOck

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thank you, Dawg! :D I'll give that Flue Cured a try. Have you also tried HS flue cured, by any chance? Also, isn't HS Tab sweet? I thought is was.

Anyway, I really want to experiment with DIY tea vapes. I've been enjoying teas for a long time now [I love Ahlusion teas] because they are subtle and savory, and they have become a perfect replacement for tobacco for me. But since I'm loading my cart at BC, I thought I might add a couple of baccy flavors just for fun...:vapor:

The only way to really find what you like is to try some 10ml bottles of a lot of the choices recommended here.

I like Hangsen tobaccos generally, but Flavourart Virginia is one of the best Virginias I've tasted. 1% is enough to start.

Hangsen Tobacco Essence is a plain tobacco that only begins to show distinct flavor as you raise the percentage. Try 7% at first. It's one that you can add additional flavors like caramel or chocolate to suit your taste.

Another Flavourart flavor that I skipped over for a long time is SOHO. It's one of those rare FA flavors that aren't highly concentrated. 14% was about right for me. It's mild with a highly complex flavor that is hard to describe. It goes quickly when I mix it because I can't stop vaping it.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Another Flavourart flavor that I skipped over for a long time is SOHO. It's one of those rare FA flavors that aren't highly concentrated. 14% was about right for me. It's mild with a highly complex flavor that is hard to describe. It goes quickly when I mix it because I can't stop vaping it.

That SOHO was on my radar before I started doing DIY, and I've wondered about it since. It kept popping up in searches for the best tobacco flavor, and they'd recently begun offering it as a mix. But I thought I read that it has some sweet, or cocoa flavors, so I stayed away from it. A bunch of people seem to love it, and everyone says it's pretty unique. Does it seem sweet to you?

Virginia is going to be on my next order, too. Guess I'll try the FA version based on your recommendation.

Reactions: Katya

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
...no pipe, cigar, nutty, sweet, smoky, ashy, RY4, NETs. I'm looking for a mildest cig flavor possible, something I could add @1-2% to my unflavored to just give it a hint of cigarette flavor. Something that might mix well with a bit of menthol or vanilla or cocoa.

You might want to try HS Highway, HS No. 5, HS Virginia, HS Concentrated, FA Desert Ship, INW TA Virginia, INW TA Garuda. They all need ar least 4 weeks of steeping, to my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread