Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
My first post in this thread!

Yay!

Anyway - I'm liking Hangsen #5. It's not sweet like #4. It's kind of dry and ashy. Hard to describe.

Just mixed some, so I expect it will mellow out with time.

Got it from Nic River.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
Welcome to the thread, KT!
I've been wanting to try that one, but it's always out of stock when I order. Same with Highway. I hear it's kind of similar to Tab Blended, which has become my base for tank mixing...about 1/2 tank of Tab, then top off with Flue Cured, Gold & Silver, TA Garuda, or Cohiba. Thanks for reminding me - I'm going to order some next order.

Reactions: -KT-

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Just tried a mix I made up about 2 months ago and am loving it. One of those that I mixed and it fell on its side and I just found it while clearing out my cabinet. It is a very nice cigar vape I named Tuscan to the Maxx which I thought I'd share.

Tuscan (SC) 2%
Maxx Blend (SC) 1.5%
Burley (German Flavors) 1%

It is a 50/50 pg/vg blend with a recommended steep time of at least a month. I added the Burley as I thought it would add the leathery note similar to Cuban Cigar TA (INW). That was a fail on my part but a happy fail. The Burley provides a little more bite to the mix. A darker note which almost reminds me of a slight coffee finish. Very happy with this. The Tuscan provides that high pitch note along with some earthy tones. While the Maxx Blend provides more of a cigar note. I will add Cuban Cigar TA (INW) at about .75% to see if I can add a little leather to the mix. I like it how it is but like anything else, always want to see if I can make something even better.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Mixed up a few 30ml batches of single flavor tobaccos to find out what I like.

Did FA Virginia 3%, FA Soho 14%, FA ry4 3%, INW 555 gold 3%, NicRiver vanilla bacco 3%, and FA monsoon 3%.

Looking forward to these, apart from my usual gold ducat 3%!
I did some FA Virginia on 11/11, and it's really tasting good. Very flavorful. I'm not using it as a standalone, but like INW Flue Cured, it has a really distinct, authentic tobacco flavor.

In fact, I'm coming to realize that some flavors, like the Virginia and Flue, I like a little more fresh, before their distinctive character fades into the juice.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
I did some FA Virginia on 11/11, and it's really tasting good. Very flavorful. I'm not using it as a standalone, but like INW Flue Cured, it has a really distinct, authentic tobacco flavor.

Have any recommendations for some mixes I could do with any of my posted tobaccos? I also have ry4d and gold ducat.

Not sure where to take some mixes, amongst tobaccos, as I am fairly new, and been doing them single flavor, or adding AP to ry4d.

Thanks!

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Have any recommendations for some mixes I could do with any of my posted tobaccos? I also have ry4d and gold ducat.

Not sure where to take some mixes, amongst tobaccos, as I am fairly new, and been doing them single flavor, or adding AP to ry4d.

Thanks!
Your Post: Did FA Virginia 3%, FA Soho 14%, FA ry4 3%, INW 555 gold 3%, NicRiver vanilla bacco 3%, and FA monsoon 3%.

When I started, I did a couple of highly recommended mixes, and didn't really like them. Luckily, I only did tests of 10ml, so I am able finish them all without tossing. What I do is all single mixes, then tank mix to my mood. To my mind, this has a few advantages:
  1. Even if you plan on doing "recipes," to do it well, you'd need to first understand the profile and characterics of each flavor you're using. So once you've learned them, you'll know better which flavor goes with what.
  2. Tobaccos do change, sometimes a lot, over time. Doing them as a single flavor will help you know how they age, and come up with a better recipe that will be good at 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 mo., etc.
  3. You can pretty much try everything with no waste. Say you come to like one specific tobacco, and want to add a little strawberry/cream to it. Try a few drops in the tank, and at worst you have to dump & clean the tank, rather than tossing 10-20 ml of juice away.
  4. If you're anything like me, your vaping taste buds are constantly evolving. I've been doing it only 8 months, but my preferences have changed a lot. Started with commercial, somewhat sweet juices (Halo Tribeca, Indigo Duke), then didn't want anything to do with sweet. Started diy tobacco a couple of months in, and kind of did overload. For a while, I was alternating between flavorless and a diluted tobacco mix. Now, I don't do unflavored, but am really into more flavor. So I can still use pretty much all I've mixed.
The mode I'm in now, I've discovered that HS Tab Blended is a great, solid but unremarkable tobacco with really good mouthfeel and throat hit. It's become my base. I start a tank with it, then add a more unique, flavorful mix on top of it- something like TA Garuda, SC Cohiba, HS Gold & Silver - flavors that add more sharp "high notes" to the more basic Tab. And lately, I've been adding FA Virginia, or a little HS Arabic (Arabic has a lot of flavor, and tingles the taste buds). I don't really like either of these as standalones, but they really add a lot to the Tab. On evenings with a few cocktails, I like a lot of flavor, so I'd add more than half a tank of these "toppers." I guess I've been doing this long enough now that I could make a batch of say, 50/50 Tab & Cohiba, or something like that. But maybe not - I still like adjusting throughout the day to suit my mood. I may start with a Flue/G&S mix, then have a mood to add a bunch of Virginia toward the end of the day.

So I guess that's the loooong answer to your question. The short answer is "I don't really do mixes per se." But try the tank mixing thing, and you'll be able to come up with some of your own that you love, I'm sure!

capthook

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
North Carolina
I've been trying to DIY a tobacco mix for a long time -
haven't been able to get one I like.
I don't have many tobacco flavors, mostly prefer fruits and nuts etc.
What I do have is:
RY4 Double-TFA
Turkish-TFA
Western-TFA
Smooth Tobacco-CAP
Desert Ship-HS

The RY4 is decent - fruity, carmel/vanilla, pipe tobaccoish.
Turkish is ok - slight fruity with a bit of spice.
Western is similar to an analog.
Desert Ship - didn't care for the grassy/hay/bitter notes.

Finally did get a mix I like - somewhere around mix #40 ha!
Had to drop the tobacco notes down in % and add a good bit of other flavors.

TRW Blend

RY4 Double (TFA), 1.25%
Turkish (TFA), 0.50%
Western (TFA), 0.25%
Butter Pecan (FW), 3.00%
Caramel (FA), 1.50%
Vanilla Swirl (TFA), 1.50%
Sweet Cream (CAP), 1.00%
AP 1 drop 10ml

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Don't give on the Arabic too quick. It tends to grow on you and then one day you find in your daily rotation.
You were correct, Gary - I'm finding that it's really a unique flavor, and use it to top off a tank pretty often.
Funny, I usually only vape "straight" tobacco, but this one reminds me of food more than tobacco. I get curry, some spices I can't really put a finger on, and maple syrup. I was sitting at my desk the morning after mixing some the night before, and kept thinking I was smelling pancakes! Really nice vape, though - a great change of pace, but isn't really sweet.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
how to description nicotine River Vanilla Bacco? sorry i just heard it
Nicotine River Vanilla Bacco
A smooth Tobacco with dessert notes. Wonderful by itself or with cakes and other delights! Vanilla Bacco may be the new flavor your arsenal has been waiting for.
Suggested percentage 2-3%
Diketone Information,
Diacetyl: None
Acetoin: None
Acetyl Propionyl: None

Reactions: IDJoel

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
Tried a few mixes at 3 weeks.

FA Soho @14% tastes exactly like ry4d to me. Will let it sit more, but right now, it’s so similar.

NicRiver vanilla bacco @3% tastes really good. Like a ry4, but without the super sweet. You really notice the vanilla with no caramel. I like it a lot, and will make more.

FA ry4 @3% was good, subtle. I bet longer than 3 weeks will help it more, will try again.

FA Virginia @3%, not really sure about this one. Was too much, of something, all up front. Will let sit and see! Or add a little bit to other mixes and see how that is.

INW 555 gold @3% smells better than it tastes, in my opinion. However, it’s still different than other tobaccos ive tried, and I will keep it around. I definitely get peanuts from it, it’s interesting for sure.

My older mixes of ry4d are still pretty tasty and I always have some made.

The INW gold ducat is super freaking good, but I’ve noticed it destroying coils and cotton SUPER fast. The concentrate is rather dark.

And the TFA black honey that I had sitting for 2 months is REAL good. Although I mixed it at 8%, it’s pretty strong, and I could see 5/6% being fine.

These were my first real big mixing session with tobaccos, and I like it a lot. Seems like there’s a lot to try and experiment with.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Tried a few mixes at 3 weeks.

FA Soho @14% tastes exactly like ry4d to me. Will let it sit more, but right now, it’s so similar.
FA Virginia @3%, not really sure about this one. Was too much, of something, all up front. Will let sit and see! Or add a little bit to other mixes and see how that is.
I tried the Soho at 14% too - I don't get vanilla/caramel out of it, but I think it's still my favorite sweet tobacco. I just can't pinpoint what they've added to the tobacco- maybe a little graham cracker, and tiny bit of cocoa, or something. I think it's got several flavors in it, none overtaking the flavor, that makes it hard to describe. It's kind of nice in a way like pipe tobacco, in that it doesn't leave a sweet taste on your tongue, so much as it gives you the aroma.
And I know what you mean about the Virginia - but it's all tobacco. It's got a very natural tobacco funkiness to it. I like the flavor, because it's pure tobacco, but not so much as a standalone. I think you'll find that after 4-5 weeks, it'll lose a little of the fresh funk, and settle in to a little bit more of a cigarette tobacco taste. Yours may take a little longer than mine, because I only did a 2.5% mix.

I recently pulled out some INW TA Garuda 4% mixed back in August. Man, that's really a satisfying cigar-like flavor. On nights with a few brews when a cigarette or 5 would have been in order, this really hits the spot. It adds that smokiness like a DNB, without overtaking and removing the throat hit like DNB can. Not for my morning tanks, but I'm definitely going to mix some more to keep on hand.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
In fact, I'm coming to realize that some flavors, like the Virginia and Flue, I like a little more fresh, before their distinctive character fades into the juice.

Same with me. I do six 50ml bottles at a time about once a month. When I have less than half of that left I start another batch. I start test vaping immediately and tend to vape most of it up in the first month. My last DIY session was 11-21 and I have 3 of 6 bottles almost empty and the rest half full or less.

Some tobacco juices are a good vape after a few days and tend to strengthen a lot up to a month or more. Using the drink stirrer to froth them up once or twice in the first week speeds up the process tremendously.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I tried the Soho at 14% too - I don't get vanilla/caramel out of it, but I think it's still my favorite sweet tobacco. I just can't pinpoint what they've added to the tobacco- maybe a little graham cracker, and tiny bit of cocoa, or something. I think it's got several flavors in it, none overtaking the flavor, that makes it hard to describe. It's kind of nice in a way like pipe tobacco, in that it doesn't leave a sweet taste on your tongue, so much as it gives you the aroma.

SOHO is way up in my favorites list. It's a clean flavor that lights up your taste buds in a good way. 10% was good, but I've settled on 14%, too. I tried 20% and diluted it back to 14%.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
Forgot to mention, I did make a FA Monsoon @3% and I’m working through the tank right now.

It’s definitely very fruity. I get orange peel, with the mouth feel of a tobacco. It’s dark, but not in the tobacco dark. If that makes sense.

I’m enjoying it, and mixed a 30ml of that and a 30ml of gold ducat @3% with my last bit of ingredients.

I tried it a day after mixing, and now at 3 weeks. The orange has toned WAY down in this, with time.

It’s quite delightful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread