Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Detroit
I'm a card carrying tank mixer. I have maybe 25 - 30 single flavor tobacco mixes. When it's time to top off a tank, I'll just pick a random combo from the single flavor choices, and give them a whirl. My main flavor in any combo is always Hangsen. I try and write down the combo, at least roughly, so that if I hit a winner, I know what flavors to focus on, and just have to fine tune the ratios in a calculator.

Since there's some other Hangsen fans out there, though I'd share one that hit the spot for me.

HS Desert Ship 3%
FLV Red Burley 2%
INW Gold Ducat .65%

If 5.65% total flavoring is a bit high for your usual style, back them all down about the same %, to keep the ratio fairly close.

I found this mix good enough to always have a tank of this stuff on a mod, ready to grab whenever I feel like it. I thought most DIY tobacco fans might have these flavors in their arsenal. They've all been around a while.

Just thought I'd pass on a combo that really plays well together. At least in my book.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I have to agree with @FranC; I find my Stixx Mixx sampling completely underwhelming. I purchased 5 of their tobaccos (plus one tea) and all 5 were quite disappointing. I tried the American Virginian, Aged Burley, Havana Primed, Nicaraguan Seco, and Whiskey Cavendish (along with Turner's Tea). All 5 of the tobaccos ended up being weak, rather generic tobaccos, that showed no signs of individual character.:oops:

For full disclosure; I did buy mine from Nicotine River; and not directly from Stixx.

If these are representative of what NETs are supposed to be... I'll stick to my Hangsen, Super Concentrates, and Inawera, thank you.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Actually, the A+ was probably my least favorite of the 4 I tried. Like real tobacco, I guess, but unremarkable in the flavor dept. I love the American Virginian, it's by far my favorite. The Sweet Brightleaf is very good, but doesn't seem to have the "character" or nuance of AV. The Honduran Ligero is fantastic- just like the essence of a very expensive, smooth cigar. But I can't do cigar flavors as an adv, and it doesn't have quite the throat hit I need.

None of them are very dark, but cut my required rebuild time in about 1/2.

What other flavors did you try?
    Whiskey Cavendish and Aged Burley

Fredman1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    HS Desert Ship 3%
    FLV Red Burley 2%
    INW Gold Ducat .65
    I'm intrigued by the red burley for a while now. I often add a bit of pre mixed burley or/and dark vapour for a far off back ground flavor...especially to a stand alone hangsen ry3 and/or 4...
    Anyway, how does red burley differ from the usual burleys ?

Last edited:

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
    Oct 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Anyway, what sets the red burley apart from the other burleys out there?

In my case, what sets it apart is it's the only Burley I have..lol. A while back, Flavorah sent out a sample pack of some tobacco prototypes and I was fortunate enough to get on the list. There was a NET that they never brought to market, Cured, Kentucky Blend, Virginia, Red Burley, and a couple of others. The Red Burley was the one of the bunch that I kept re-ordering.

I'm not sure of the differences in the Burleys. Hopefully someone can fill us in.

EricMorr

Jul 2, 2018
    Pitman, NJ
    What I said was - SM is my first NET, but I don't think they really need to steep. I just tried some I just mixed vs. some mixed about a month ago. Very little difference, and if anything, I think the fresher one might've been a little better. Not my experience with non-net tobaccos.
    Thanks! I am new at making my own liquid, so I was just trying out the SM Canadian Virginian every week to see how it changes. If it's not going to change much, I'm going to vape it right now!

Vicman

ECF Veteran
    Jun 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I have not used Stixx Mixx but have mixed up NET's from places I used to order ready mixed NET's from time to time. Most of them were mixed at 20% flavoring and some all the way up to 30%. Maybe for the people not getting flavor from SM, might want to mix up at a higher %. Like I said, I never used SM but just wanted to throw that out there as they seem to be highly regarded.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Thanks! I am new at making my own liquid, so I was just trying out the SM Canadian Virginian every week to see how it changes. If it's not going to change much, I'm going to vape it right now!
    Maybe it's different with straight tobacco, or at least Hangsen's - for me. But I never found them massively different if I vaped right away. A couple of them had notes that mellowed out over a couple of weeks, but all were pretty good, and definitely vapeable a day after mixing. Some gave me a little better th after a few weeks, though.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    @Brewdawg1181, What percentage(s) are you mixing you Stixx Mixx concentrates at (esp. single flavor mixing)?
    I started with 7%, but I backed off just a little to 6% now, and that's plenty of flavor. I was kind of shocked, because other nets I'd looked at a while back required anywhere from 10-30%, but this is great at normal flavoring percentages.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I started with 7%, but I backed off just a little to 6% now, and that's plenty of flavor. I was kind of shocked, because other nets I'd looked at a while back required anywhere from 10-30%, but this is great at normal flavoring percentages.
    Thank you.:)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    Now I feel like an NET evangelist, though. I tried my first net, and it was like BAM! That's it! Holy cow, this is what I've been missing. A month or so ago, I ordered some Stixx Mixx flavoring, and it's so good, I can't even really finish my tanks with Hangsen in them any more. It is seriously good, authentic tobacco flavor. American Virginian is the bomb! Keeping me busy rebuilding though - I love a fresh coil & wick, and they don't lie when they say it's a gunker. But sooo worth it.

I've been making my own NET's for years and I looked at some of the Stixx Mixx offerings at nicotine river and recognized some of there offerings that I regularly extract myself from raw leaf tobacco such as the brightleaf (one of my favorites), Canadian virginia and the american virginia. I've ordered them and will compare them with what I make. Thanks for the tip on stixx mixx.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I've been making my own NET's for years and I looked at some of the Stixx Mixx offerings at nicotine river and recognized some of there offerings that I regularly extract myself from raw leaf tobacco such as the brightleaf (one of my favorites), Canadian virginia and the american virginia. I've ordered them and will compare them with what I make. Thanks for the tip on stixx mixx.
    Wellll, welcome back!
    Yeah, you'd better do something to keep this great thread that you started going! You know, I think I read virtually every post of this thread from the beginning - it was a huge help for me, so thank you for that!
    Anxious to hear what you think. But if you come back and tell us yours are infinitely better, I guess making my own nets will be my next big foray into vaping.

btw- I didn't try the Canadian, but I found his Amer. Virg. far superior to the Sweet Brightleaf. Brightleaf is okay, but kind of an unremarkable tobacco.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Anxious to hear what you think. But if you come back and tell us yours are infinitely better, I guess making my own nets will be my next big foray into vaping.

btw- I didn't try the Canadian, but I found his Amer. Virg. far superior to the Sweet Brightleaf. Brightleaf is okay, but kind of an unremarkable tobacco.

Thank you for the remarks on the NET's. Not very encouraging if you found the Brightleaf just kinda OK, WHat I make is very flavorful with a very slight plum note. The canidian is slightly lighter then the american but still rich in flavor. I guess you just can't beat making it yourself.

The process is quite easy. Just add about an inch of chopped up tobacco to a 3 or 4oz mason jar fill it with PG to 1/8 to 1/4" over the top of the tobacco, Cap it and let the jar sit in a crock pot filled with water to about half way up the jar and let it heat on low or simmer for 24 hours.
    Extract the PG with a large syringe with no needle or a large bore needle then Filter it through a french press coffee maker a few times while it's still hot or warm and there you have it.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Thank you for the remarks on the NET's. Not very encouraging if you found the Brightleaf just kinda OK, WHat I make is very flavorful with a very slight plum note. The canidian is slightly lighter then the american but still rich in flavor. I guess you just can't beat making it yourself.

The process is quite easy. Just add about an inch of chopped up tobacco to a 3 or 4oz mason jar fill it with PG to 1/8 to 1/4" over the top of the tobacco, Cap it and let the jar sit in a crock pot filled with water to about half way up the jar and let it heat on low or simmer for 24 hours.
    Extract the PG with a large syringe with no needle or a large bore needle then Filter it through a french press coffee maker a few times while it's still hot or warm and there you have it.
    So when you make it this way, it's RTV juice, 100% PG? Or what percentage do you use of this as a flavoring? I do max VG, and seems I saw something about people using an alcohol process, to minimize PG. Maybe you've tried alcohol in your experimentation and have thoughts on that method?

Reactions: TraderX

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
    Jun 5, 2016
    A few months ago now, my wife ordered some small bottles of the Stixx Mixx flavours from our supplier as they were out of her favourite (Hangsen Turkish). Since that order, I took up DIY mixing and have been playing with them.

I actually think they are very, very good. But, I starting to believe they are a pretty "sensitive" to the mixing percentage. My favourite at the moment is "Butter Rum Cavendish". The others I'm still trying to find the best mixing percentage.

One of the ones I REALLY want to get right is "The Supreme". I first mixed this for a DTL dripper (low nic)--which was a weird choice as I'm a MTL tobacco guy-- and the flavour blew me away, absolutely the best cigar blend I've tasted. The thing is, it's underwhelming in a MTL tank...at least so far. But, as I said, still playing with the percentages.

I'll be ordering some more Stixx Mixx for sure and continue testing out the ones I have.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    My current go to, perfect every time for me:
    One Stop Blends - Lucky Shot* - 30mL
    Tab Blended-HS
    + 1 drop of wizards for every 10 ml
    Simple and perfect for me.

upload_2018-8-26_8-59-52.png

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    So when you make it this way, it's RTV juice, 100% PG? Or what percentage do you use of this as a flavoring? I do max VG, and seems I saw something about people using an alcohol process, to minimize PG. Maybe you've tried alcohol in your experimentation and have thoughts on that method?

No it's not a ready to vape juice it's a PG net flavoring. I add approx 10% to my base but your mileage will vary depending on your taste, some go up to 25% or more. I have tried the alcohol process several times but I prefer the quicker Hot PG method I explained earlier because of simplicity. The alcohol process produces a far more concentrated NET so you would use far less, some where between 2 - 5% (Again depending on your taste). Both ways produce a good net. There is a great forum right here on ECF that explain both processes. The Alcohol process is quite a bit more involved then hot PG extraction.

Liquid Extraction From Tobacco

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

Looking forward to your review.

• Agree
    Reactions: IDJoel
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread