The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by dannyv45, Apr 15, 2015.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ToolmanTexas

ToolmanTexas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    SC Dunhill (Dekang i'm pretty sure) and Hangsen Tab are my go tos.

• Like Like x 4
  2. MartinD

MartinD Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2017
    SC Parliament is excellent.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. EricMorr

EricMorr Senior Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Pitman, NJ
    Just placed an order. The only NET's I've tried so far were Stixx Mixx. They seemed week to me though. Using 10% or more in a single flavor recipe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Great - let us know what you think. Which ones did you order?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. EricMorr

EricMorr Senior Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Pitman, NJ
    Captain Jack's. Lark and Philospohers Pipe.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Fredman1

Fredman1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    I haven't tried any of them...yeah plz let us know what you think.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. EricMorr

EricMorr Senior Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Pitman, NJ
    Will do. Steep for a month you think?

8. Fredman1

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    It'll be matured by then yes. You can start testing it around two weeks ...;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. EricMorr

EricMorr Senior Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Pitman, NJ
    Just received my order from bestcigliquid.co.uk last night. So it took a week and half to get across the pond to New Jersey. I can already tell a difference between them and the Stixx Mixx. I open up the concentrate bottle to add to my mix, and I actually get a strong smell, unlike the SM. Now the waiting game for steeping :(

• Like Like x 4
  10. Fredman1

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    Good stuff. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Their mixes are different to other NETs. Love their bakery range to...

11. EricMorr

EricMorr Senior Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Pitman, NJ
    I'm just not sure if their NET concentrates, the ones with flavors, like the Captain Jacks smells like chocolate and rum...if they are adding natural flavors or not. When they steep the tobacco leaves in the PG. If that makes sense.

12. Fredman1

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    I would think they make use of the usual flavorant concentrates to add flavors.
    I usually only judge their range after a month of slow natural steeping. I used to speed up the steeping through hot soak and ultrasonic baths, but now I just let Mother nature do its thing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MartinD

MartinD Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2017
    Which one of you uses Hangsen tobaccos?Can you give me a recommendation for dosing and steeping for the following: Hangsen Virginia, Ry1, Ry4, Turkish blended and no.5?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Detroit Doug

Detroit Doug Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2015
    Detroit
    I have No 5, Desert Ship, Highway, Indian, Tab Blended, RY 1, & Turkish, and use them on a regular basis. I've settled in at 4 - 5% for my tastes. Mine normally have a couple of months steeping before they get into rotation, but that's just because of my rotation schedule. I've found Hangsen tobaccos are normally good to go after a week or so. Good luck with them!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    7% on my No.5. I have about 5 other HS tobaccos I use regularly anywhere between 6%-8%.

• Like Like x 4
  16. TraderX

TraderX Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2015
    Philly Suburbs
    I use the HS Turkish Blended between 5% to 7% with excellent results. It is a great tobacco, it is like their Desert Ship but without the sweetness. I don't care for sweet and nut flavors in tobacco.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ShaneR42

ShaneR42 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2016
    For Turkish, I enjoyed at 7-8%. No.5 was usually 6-7.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. EricMorr

EricMorr Senior Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Pitman, NJ
    So I tried out the NET's from bestcigliquid.co.uk. The Captain Jack's is a rich tobacco and chocolatey. Little bit of rum on the after taste occasionally. My favorite of the 3. I'd like more of a tobacco flavor, but I'm afraid if I went more than the 12% on the first test batch, it would be like vaping a Guiness. The lark is exactly as they describe it. Light tobacco with a hint of citrus. Not an all day vape for me, but will be mixed again in the future. The Philosopher's Pipe is just OK. They describe it as being fruity, but it tastes like clove to me. Over powering clove, no real tobacco taste. Not my cup of tea is all. They are good enough to make me order from them again. So I did! Trying After 7, Londoner and the USA Mix. I should add, they all needed a month steeping, minimum.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  19. Fredman1

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    Yeah Philosopher pipe is an acquired taste...apparently. Definitely get some more. They have a huge range and lots of character in there. You're bound to find a few that will be for you...it was like that for me :thumb:
    If you're on facebook, look them up and join. They're very active and you can ask and discuss the flavors.

20. Rcon

Rcon Full Member

Aug 11, 2016
    I have been using bestcigliquid (BCL) in the UK for a few years now. There has been some debate in the past as to whether they use NET's or not but BCL robustly maintain that they do. I personally think it more likely though that they actually use absolutes purchased in bulk, which would make much more sense considering the comparatively low price-point they sell at yet high quality they achieve. To be honest though I've long since stopped caring and these days just enjoy the great tobacco flavour combinations they offer.

As an aside I spent nearly £100.00 on Stixx Mixx last year and was totally underwhelmed and they have long since been flushed away. I have no doubt they were excellent pure extracts, but they made me realise that wasn't the taste I was actually seeking after all (even though I thought it was). In contrast I have nearly 3 litres of various BCL juices in the steeping cupboard at any one time (made up from BCL concentrates) and I love them.

For my tastebuds the stand out BCL tobacco flavours I would recommend to try would be, Honey Flue Cured, Burley, Cohiba, Old Holborn, Old Captain (rich rum & tobacco - pipe like), 565 Virginia and Turkish. Burley would probably be the most natural pure tobacco taste out of them I've tasted and I think it's outstanding. All of them top notch though, IMO.

Mix percentages for BCL concentrates should usually be between 8% to 12%, with 10% being the most popular it seems based on the user feedback I've seen. I personally use 8%-10% and it seems more than enough for me as a low watt MTL tootle puffer. Usual 2+ week steep, 4+ weeks preferable. Burley though is great from 24 hours onwards.

Consider them natural tobaccos with added flavours and you won't go far wrong I think. They come up with some great mixes IMO, whether they are actually NET's, absolutes, or otherwise. Definitely recommended.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1