The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by dannyv45, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. chopdoc

chopdoc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Western, Type M, (dont get that out of DK) taste like vaping an ashtray. Danny says DNB is same thing. You say it isnt. Guess i will have to pick up a bottle just to see.

2. JD1

JD1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    I'm another that has some trouble with the ash taste. I like a little of it in some of my mixes, depending, I think, more on what I'm drinking than anything else. For me, a nice glass of cold water and the 'I just licked an ashtray' type flavor just doesn't give me that warm glow for some reason.

On the other hand, If I'm popping the top of yet another cold one and my tongue is sort of loose at both ends then it seems to be a different story lol.

Anyways I'm looking forward to your review of the DNB. I take it you're looking for some ash, correct?

3. Shirtbloke

Shirtbloke Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 26, 2014
    UK
    I'd just like to add my thoughts to the DNB debate.
    When I first heard about adding an ashtray taste to juice I thought it was a ridiculous idea. And then I tried it.

It wasn't till then that I realised that there was something I'd been missing without realising it - I used to smoke unfiltered roll your own tobacco for 40+ years and the ashy taste was exactly why I'd been finding vaping a bit unsatisfying - I'd even started smoking again - not as much as I'd used to smoke but that first thing in the morning smoke was something I found I couldn't do without.

So a combination of DNB and Tobacco Absolute Virginia (both at 1%) go into every mix I make and it's been keeping me off the stinkies - even first thing in the morning.
    It's probably not for everyone, but if you're having trouble avoiding tobacco, and spending a lot of time thinking about having a cigarette, it's worth giving it a try.

4. Art Mustel

Art Mustel Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2009
    No, i didn't say it doesn't smell like an ashtray, i said its smell/taste has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the smell or taste of M-Type. They are different beasts. M-Type has never ever smelt like an ashtray to me, rather it smells like a very powerful disinfectant. Anyway, this is a matter of personal interpretation of taste/smell; guess you should try some DNB, you may like it.

5. dannyv45

dannyv45 ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    You hit the nail right on the head. Very good example of DNB bring that vape closer to the taste of a real cigarette. Your experience was much like mine when I was on the hunt for a vape that closely resembled a real cigarette taste. DNB was that missing element.

6. chopdoc

I thought I had the perfect tobacco vape. I would take %10 of usually a Capella tobacco flavor and mix in %5 Bav Cream and %5 Sweet Cream and vape it in a G5-H2 on an Ego or in a T3S or even in a Kanger protank. Outstanding tobacco flavor with a hint of creaminess, add a drop of TA Virgina and it was heavenly. Then I discovered Kayfuns and what was that perfect vape now is way overpowering on the creaminess. So once again I am in search of the perfect tobacco vape.
    Sitting here thinking about it, maybe I am just burned out on a creamy tobacco vape and am in search of a more realistic tobacco cig-alike vape. Either way going to kayfuns have drastically change the flavor profile and what was great before isnt so great now.
    Currently I am looking for two distinct vapes. A rich tobacco flavor that taste like the smell you would get from taking a big wiff from a pound bag of roll your own tobacco, and a good cig a like vape thats like the draw on a Marlboro or a Pall Mall without the licking an ashtray flavor.

On a side note, a huge thanks to Danny for starting this thread.

7. chopdoc

Anyone knows of any place that has DNB in stock? Bull City is out and other places I checked either dont carry it or is out of it.

8. Art Mustel

Aug 24, 2009
  9. JD1

JD1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    Real Cig from the SC (China) line at Vaping Zone gets good reviews for being a realistic cig-alike. I think the Real Cig from BC is the same thing.

Looks like VT has the DNB.

10. chopdoc

Bottle of DNB coming and Mothers Milk TA coming.

Have Real Cigs coming from Bull City as well as about 20 other tobacco flavors.

11. Art Mustel

Aug 24, 2009
    Lots of fun ahead!

12. GaryInTexas

GaryInTexas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    NE Texas, USA
    I bet your going to enjoy all of those. Play with them straight and as mixes. I haven't tried the TA but DNB and Real Cig were game changers for my mixing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 1vapeatatime

1vapeatatime Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 29, 2012
    Nevada
    DNB, TA, and Real Cig....all immeasurably valuable to me as additives, and always in my stockpile of ingredients. There are several other ingredients I use to finish my tobacco juices, like FA's Vape Wizard and Dark Vapure, as well as TFA's Smooth
    I also use FA's Perique Black as an ingredient more than a flavor per se, along with TFA's M and DK.
    One ingredient that is almost always present in my mixtures is TFA's Molasses.
    Molasses has been present in pipe, cigarette and chewing tobaccos ever since they were commercially grown. The industry has used it extensively for fermenting and aging air and fire cured leaf. The taste of molasses closely resembles the taste of the natural sugars produced in the fermentation process. I had been DIYing for about a year before I remembered this....I bought an 8 ml vial of Molasses to try and after testing several ratios I decided that this had been a missing link for me, and proceeded to buy a 4oz. bottle...still have some.
    3 to 5 drops per 5ml mixture is my recommendation.
    How would I describe the effect????
    I get a bodied sweetness that gives me the impression that it should always have been there. It is not a sweetener but replaces both the effect of EM and sucralose without the artificial taste.
    Add a drop of FA's Oak, or TFA's Hickory, or Red Oak, along with Molasses to any Cigar, or Pipe juice and....Holy Vapes, Batman!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. dannyv45

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    That was also my experience. I started on cs4's graduated to kanger t3's and though they were the best thing on the face of this earth until I bought my first kayfun and that changed everything.

As far as that real cig vape I would recommend hangsen red USA for a cig like vape and inawera S'Camel for a cigar/cig taste. Use both with a virginia TA and inawera DNB and there you have it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dannyv45

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Sorry I just bought 4 bottles of DNB and 3 bottles of S'Camel last week from bullcity. I guess I bought them out:)

• Like Like x 1
  16. dannyv45

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I bought a bottle of TFA's Molasses about 4 months ago and never got around to experimenting with it in my tobacco mixes. Thanks for reminding me. It's time to dig it out and play with it. I also bought a bottle of hickery about a year ago to use in one of my clones which gave me a smokey type of ash effect but made me feel like I was vaping a bottle of barbeque sauce. I never did get a handle on that flavor.

17. 1vapeatatime

1vapeatatime Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 29, 2012
    Nevada
    DNB at Ecig Express $2.99. Bought some yesterday.
    Hickory is powerful and really woodsy. I had to dilute my stock to 25% on PG, so I can get more control. I can't stand it full flavor, but a note adds some campy essences to pipe flavors.

18. Exchaner

Exchaner Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2013
    California
    I have tried black fire tobacco from FA for a hickory taste. Didn't like it initially but it changed for the better over time. Not bad for a smokey-ish taste, but it doesn't exactly taste like burning tobacco. If used sparingly, it can help enhance many tobacco flavors. I use .25%-.5%.

19. Alter

Alter Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    Your journey sounds familiar for my wife and I. We started out with CE4 but they were rebuildable so I rebuilt them. then onto the T3's that I bought through a coop. Found out the they fit protanks so bought, rebuilt and vaped protanks for well over a year and some then kayfuns. My wife still uses the protanks for easier to fill purposes but I'm all kayfuns. Once you find your wicking nitch they produce a great vape.

20. chopdoc

I think many of us been down this path and the CE4 as well as the bottom coil CE5's and the MT3's and TS3's are not a bad way to get into vaping and seeing if it is really for you. Since I discovered how great Kayfuns are about %98 of my vaping is with them but I will occasionally pick up an ego and vape on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.