fc-2000 porous ceramic wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericska

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Eric. Great post!. The grains do look a lot finer. That was an interesting demonstration. The vapor is more like mist, which I guess would be a factor of grain size and porosity. Did you do a wicking test?

Not yet, I did thought of making a wicking comparison video. Still thinking how the best method to test... I just ruined my micro SD memory card for my camera after that video taken, the video can't records up to 10 seconds. Can even re-format it, don't know what have I done? Now I have to go buy new card on Monday... damned! LOL!

Funny stuff happened, taste from Rauschert wick is getting better and better after first tank...??? Don't know is it so called breaking in? But the first vape I felt already broke in(taste was good)... maybe I need more time with it. I really like the vapor coming out from Rauschert wick, smooth and no crackling, kind of drier than my another wicks. Definitely because of the finer grain size and porosity.

ericska

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Great Eric, I'm glad to see you made it work and there's not only bad new about it.
8 watts tho...

edit: great post!

Thank you Sir! BTW, have you try the higher gauge Kanthal? Maybe 30g will work for you. I'm going to try 0.5mm ribbon Kanthal for the next tank. :D

ericska

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
hey guys just returned from a dive trip. sorry to not give a heads up, anyways glad to be back, will catch up on all the posts, settle in and shoot the sh-- a little later.
Envied... 6 years ago I tried to take diving course but not allowed cause I have thyroid... :cry:

ColinD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
London UK
Hey guys just a note on my experience with Thomas Schmoll's Rauschert Ceramic wick. I know you guys are all very nice people and this is a positive forward thinking thread but I have to say this - The Rauschert Ceramic wick is not a commercial product - it should be kept to the confines of pioneers and I am not one :-(. The wick is SO fragile that when it arrives (in glass tubes) there is already ceramic dust in the tube from the vibrations of travel. As soon as I took the first two wicks from the glass vial they just disintegrated. Don't even think about dropping them even from a height of 1 inch because they shatter. Right -got that off my chest.

Ok so I am no Pioneer but I hate to get beat. I took one of the slightly longer broken wicks and wrapped a #500 mesh skirt around it. Dismantled my RSST and inserted the wick from the underside -so ceramic topside and mesh below. Wrapped a 32 gauge Kanthal 3/4 coil around it freehand AND OH my god!!! That is the cleanest tasting vape I have ever experienced - No hotspots, no crackling and fizzing -just quiet plumes of vapour with flavour right off the bat. 2.2 Ohms at 4.2 on a Provari.

So I guess ceramic is without question the future but commercially it ain't the Rauschert wick until they solve the fragility. IMO.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I did the same thing and it works great. Reply #2477
Hey guys just a note on my experience with Thomas Schmoll's Rauschert Ceramic wick. I know you guys are all very nice people and this is a positive forward thinking thread but I have to say this - The Rauschert Ceramic wick is not a commercial product - it should be kept to the confines of pioneers and I am not one :-(. The wick is SO fragile that when it arrives (in glass tubes) there is already ceramic dust in the tube from the vibrations of travel. As soon as I took the first two wicks from the glass vial they just disintegrated. Don't even think about dropping them even from a height of 1 inch because they shatter. Right -got that off my chest.

Ok so I am no Pioneer but I hate to get beat. I took one of the slightly longer broken wicks and wrapped a #500 mesh skirt around it. Dismantled my RSST and inserted the wick from the underside -so ceramic topside and mesh below. Wrapped a 32 gauge Kanthal 3/4 coil around it freehand AND OH my god!!! That is the cleanest tasting vape I have ever experienced - No hotspots, no crackling and fizzing -just quiet plumes of vapour with flavour right off the bat. 2.2 Ohms at 4.2 on a Provari.

So I guess ceramic is without question the future but commercially it ain't the Rauschert wick until they solve the fragility. IMO.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
He's diving. Wonder how he vapes underwater?

well i never tried vaping underwater but it can be done. i remember when i first started diving in 79 in ft. lauderdale, fl. i was still in school and doing things i shouldnt be doing, anyways, took a zip lock baggie and something that looked like a cig & lighter to a wreck at 110ft. there we knew from previous dives that there were air pockets on the ceiling of a certain storage room, needless to say we had a great dive.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Well since you've been gone, I have gone back to 32g wire. I just can't decide which one is better.

for me personally i feel the 30g has a little better flavor then the 32g, its not that much of a difference though. however imo, the flavor is more noticable when you drop to 28g. besides that the other difference is resistance, and if your staying at the same wattage with both wires then the 32g will require more volts, and to me more volts makes for a harsher vape, but thats just me and everyone has a different taste. the only way you will finally settle on a specific gauge wire is time.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Envied... 6 years ago I tried to take diving course but not allowed cause I have thyroid... :cry:

thats a bummer because you did want to try it and couldnt, alot of people just wouldnt do it period. i grew up in south fl where the diving is great, i just used to swim from shore a quarter mile and was in some of the best waters in the USA. although i dont do much shore diving now, i still make at least 50 dives a year. in the caribbean, you name it i have dived it. anyways it looks like the white german wicks are making their rounds. its weird how they are described as a quiet vape. i read in an earlier post that they dont make a bubbling or popping sound like an fc-wick, maybe that description of an fc-wick is a little blown up because i dont really get that with mine. even when i vaped ss mesh my sound was like a slight hsssss, definatly no popping sound.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I'm using the 32g on my 7/64 ceramic wick with 6 wraps at 2.6Ω running it at 3.9v and its perfect with this liquid I'm using today. I just wish I had this flavor was all the time.
for me personally i feel the 30g has a little better flavor then the 32g, its not that much of a difference though. however imo, the flavor is more noticable when you drop to 28g. besides that the other difference is resistance, and if your staying at the same wattage with both wires then the 32g will require more volts, and to me more volts makes for a harsher vape, but thats just me and everyone has a different taste. the only way you will finally settle on a specific gauge wire is time.

crss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Mar 19, 2013
    dev/null
    well i never tried vaping underwater but it can be done. i remember when i first started diving in 79 in ft. lauderdale, fl. i was still in school and doing things i shouldnt be doing, anyways, took a zip lock baggie and something that looked like a cig & lighter to a wreck at 110ft. there we knew from previous dives that there were air pockets on the ceiling of a certain storage room, needless to say we had a great dive.
    The BEST, "something that looked like a cig" hand rolled?:toast:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    I'm using the 32g on my 7/64 ceramic wick with 6 wraps at 2.6Ω running it at 3.9v and its perfect with this liquid I'm using today. I just wish I had this flavor was all the time.

you know some juices just dont like higher wattages, at barely 6 watts your running at really low wattages and would think you should be able to obtain much higher with no drop off in flavor. do you want more power but just cant do it because of the flavor drop?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread