fc-2000 porous ceramic wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmooch

ECF Veteran
has anyone tried a german at higher wattages? let say over 13? i know dsmooch tried and it seems the results arent as good as lower watts, is this just the nature of these wicks or is it just the fact that not to many have tried these yet.

tried 14 watts on 27g... it dries fast. I currently have 18 to 20 watts coils running on the FCs with no worries.
Considering these are +- the same price as the fc....
Vap do you have a slotted FC in your DID?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
tried 14 watts on 27g... it dries fast. I currently have 18 to 20 watts coils running on the FCs with no worries.
Considering these are +- the same price as the fc....
Vap do you have a slotted FC in your DID?

i more or less gave my wife my did and she doesnt like fiddling around so she is still vaping mesh. when i gave it to her i had it set up with a round fc- wick , which she liked, but her first attempt at a recoil she snapped it so she just stayed with the mesh. when i had the did, which has all brass contacts & center post, i always felt that it didnt like high wattages as much as my other gennys, it always felt much hotter then any other device i have, maybe this is due to the brass i dont know, but if i lowered the wattage to 13 or under it was perfect, this is why i just let my wife use it because she vapes much lower. i had 2 dids at one time but sold one a few months ago because i was going to get a cobra, which i have yet to do. i never really figured out why my did felt much hotter then the others, i tried everything, besides that it worked fine, the flavor wasnt affected, but with the same set-up as the did, the ac-9/ aga/ and rsst runs so much cooler, so i just figured that my specific one worked better at lower watts so i gave it to the wife.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
wow you ditched the DIDs, i'm shocked! crazy how experiences are subjective.
I was wondering if by chance you managed to close the fill hole at high wattage, but I guess that's not relevant..
The cobra looks the bomb but the fill hole is smaller than 1/8 right?

well i havent completely ditched it, i may switch and give the wife the rsst and get the did back, i do miss it. i always felt that the brass contact dids may just run hotter then the ss contact ones. the ones i have were purchased when they first came out and since then they switched to ss contacts. is yours ss or brass? if brass, does yours run hot over 16 watts? when i was using it i always had it out, and dont remember if i ever tried it with it in. in all my devices i run the screws out, not that they may not work correctly with them in, its just the fact that i find it a pain to unscrew everytime i need to top off. i have however recently tried running the ac-9, aga, and rsst with the screw in and found no real difference in performance, i just dont remmember if it made a difference in the did. i never actually bought a cobra, when the 3/32 wicks were discontinued i changed my mind.

DSmooch

ECF Veteran
The first DID I got was issued without serial and logo and it had a brass center post. They offered an update of the first run when everything started to get numbered. I don't remember if the ss post was part of that update, but eventually I updated that too because the brass was a pain to clean. When I had the brass, I was on provari and pretty regular wattage so I couldn't say really if it makes a diff.
I know it doesn't get hotter than the AC9 or the ZAU now...
I don't mind the open fill hole myself, it's just I have the Vela holster coming... I figured it would be nice if I could use it!
How did you close the AC9 fill hole? Rip said not to vape with the red plug, it may melt!

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
well i havent completely ditched it, i may switch and give the wife the rsst and get the did back, i do miss it. i always felt that the brass contact dids may just run hotter then the ss contact ones. the ones i have were purchased when they first came out and since then they switched to ss contacts. is yours ss or brass? if brass, does yours run hot over 16 watts? when i was using it i always had it out, and dont remember if i ever tried it with it in. in all my devices i run the screws out, not that they may not work correctly with them in, its just the fact that i find it a pain to unscrew everytime i need to top off. i have however recently tried running the ac-9, aga, and rsst with the screw in and found no real difference in performance, i just dont remmember if it made a difference in the did. i never actually bought a cobra, when the 3/32 wicks were discontinued i changed my mind.

I ended up trading my Cobra in because the wick holes are too small to support current ceramic sizes (3/32 was discontinued and I don't think it's possible to widen the wick holes much without destroying the deck either). I'm in the process of trying a ZAP and RSST as replacements since they both allow for bigger ceramic wicks.

You could technically make your own 3/32 wicks but from what I've heard 1/8 is a good balance of no heat sink effect and holding enough juice to not get dry burns all the time.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
The first DID I got was issued without serial and logo and it had a brass center post. They offered an update of the first run when everything started to get numbered. I don't remember if the ss post was part of that update, but eventually I updated that too because the brass was a pain to clean. When I had the brass, I was on provari and pretty regular wattage so I couldn't say really if it makes a diff.
I know it doesn't get hotter than the AC9 or the ZAU now...
I don't mind the open fill hole myself, it's just I have the Vela holster coming... I figured it would be nice if I could use it!
How did you close the AC9 fill hole? Rip said not to vape with the red plug, it may melt!

when I bought the did's they didn't have any numbers, I think it was a little later when they started to number them and changed to all ss contacts. what is the vela holster? I never used that little red plug to close the fill hole infact I never used anything, I always leave it open. I did try it once to just see if it made any difference, I think I just jammed a ss mesh plug in it for a few ml's.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I ended up trading my Cobra in because the wick holes are too small to support current ceramic sizes (3/32 was discontinued and I don't think it's possible to widen the wick holes much without destroying the deck either). I'm in the process of trying a ZAP and RSST as replacements since they both allow for bigger ceramic wicks.

You could technically make your own 3/32 wicks but from what I've heard 1/8 is a good balance of no heat sink effect and holding enough juice to not get dry burns all the time.

yes I guess if I wanted I could file down some 7/64 wicks, but I think it would be just to much of a pain, the 3/32 are just to flimsy. I have tried all the sizes mentioned above and really haven't found any correlation between diameter of the wick and possible dry hits. I totally believe that dry hits are dependent on the tightness of the wrap and overall wicking capabilities of the wick itself. if there was no issues with fragility, availability and resistance I do believe that I would solely vape a 3/32 wick.

SteveW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Hey vapD, good to see you out and about. Since I set up my Kayfun with a piece of 3/32 wick and cotton batting I have not had it out of my hand. It is sensational. I can leave my finger on the button all day long and it wont burn anything. I am running it at 1 ohm on a Paps 2.1. Yesterday I got some 28g wire and I am going to try for a 0.7 ohm build. I also thing thicker guage wire is much better with ceramics. You have more wire physically contacting and you can put a good number of loops on while keeping resistances low (again, more contact, more vapor). I have told a few people here in Australia about them and some are starting to see how good these are. I hope more suppliers emerge and also hope the BD13 hits the market soon with some size varieties so we can all give these a go as well.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Hey vapD, good to see you out and about. Since I set up my Kayfun with a piece of 3/32 wick and cotton batting I have not had it out of my hand. It is sensational. I can leave my finger on the button all day long and it wont burn anything. I am running it at 1 ohm on a Paps 2.1. Yesterday I got some 28g wire and I am going to try for a 0.7 ohm build. I also thing thicker guage wire is much better with ceramics. You have more wire physically contacting and you can put a good number of loops on while keeping resistances low (again, more contact, more vapor). I have told a few people here in Australia about them and some are starting to see how good these are. I hope more suppliers emerge and also hope the BD13 hits the market soon with some size varieties so we can all give these a go as well.

I got back last week from a dive trip and it has taken me all this week to recover. I definitely cant do what I used to do 10 years ago. anyways I have heard that the kayfuns are really nice, sounds like a great combo with the paps. I do think you will really enjoy the 28g, it will have a bit more punch in the throat and a bit more vapor. I love both the 30g and 28g, couldn't do without either, have both set-up. its just depends on the mood. its like a vv device and a mechanical mod, love them both depending on the mood. if I had to choose between both it would be a tough decision.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I bought 2 of them. Have not tried them yet.

hey buddy, I really like them and find they do wick a little better, but with that said the grooves make them even more susceptible to breakage. I found that if you keep the wick as low as possible in the tank it helps. one more thing I think is a little different is that the TH is a little more intense. I think gdeal mentioned this once but I never really thought about it, but with it in for a while he might be right.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
I noticed the TH more on my home made channeled FC-2000's. I think the little extra bit of exposed coil at the channels was doing it. It did calm down after it broke-in though. Also, my channels were much bigger than the ones that are sold, so it really may just be a very subtle effect.

@Ricks, I would go for the change out to the channels if you havent already. You do get a bit more juice as you tilt (if you tilt?).

hey buddy, I really like them and find they do wick a little better, but with that said the grooves make them even more susceptible to breakage. I found that if you keep the wick as low as possible in the tank it helps. one more thing I think is a little different is that the TH is a little more intense. I think gdeal mentioned this once but I never really thought about it, but with it in for a while he might be right.

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
so it has been a little while since the channeled wicks have been out, just wanted to know if you feel like their an upgrade to the regular round wicks.

I just got three last Thursday, but my home-grown fishtsicks are still doing great, and I don't want to tear any of my RBAs down right now - they are all running just terrific. Just a dry-burn every-other tankful keeps the coils & wicks running like I just wrapped them (maybe better).

If I break one of them, I'll throw in one of the FC2000 slotted and see if there's a major difference (or buy another genny-style RBA...but right now, I'm good).

I think the only thing that will make me tear any of them down at this point is if I can get my hands on one of the BD13s...

So far, these things are as close to a permanent wick/coil as I've seen...and rather surprising.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I got them as back-ups for the regular ones. I'll try them some day in the near future.

ya its hard taking out a perfectly good wick just for testing but I do it a lot. whenever I take out a good wick & coil I make sure to keep the wire on the wick and take them out as a whole, this way whenever you need to re-install it, its all there ready to go back in, no re-coiling necessary.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I noticed the TH more on my home made channeled FC-2000's. I think the little extra bit of exposed coil at the channels was doing it. It did calm down after it broke-in though. Also, my channels were much bigger than the ones that are sold, so it really may just be a very subtle effect.

@Ricks, I would go for the change out to the channels if you havent already. You do get a bit more juice as you tilt (if you tilt?).

its strange that I didn't notice it before but I just set-up another genny and compared it to one with a round and the TH is very noticeable, maybe this slotted has a deeper groove or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread