EU FCA: Friend or foe, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
Was doing some information gathering on the specifics of menthol biosynthesis when I noticed that Brazil had banned cigarette additives such as menthol and other additives. That made me aware of this The Framework Convention Alliance for Tobacco Control , so I looked around to see if they had a position on e cigs. Which they use/have created the acronym E.N.D.S. or Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (Why do large organizations have such a fascination with acronyms? :blink:).

Anyhoo, The Adobe file below contains this quote from their conference

FCA continues to recommend that the COP not take a position on the specific issue of
whether ENDS are tobacco products. As the Secretariat’s report indicates, Party practice
differs, with some Parties treating electronic cigarettes as drugs/medical devices and
others as tobacco products. As this issue is likely to be subject to litigation in a number of
Parties over the coming years, a COP finding could be unhelpful. Moreover, given rapid
developments in both technology and marketing strategies, preserving flexibility would be
prudent.

My take on this is that they simply don't want to touch e cigs and are perfectly happy in allowing Big Tobacco and Big Pharma to battle each covertly and in the courts.
The Adobe link :

http://www.fctc.org/images/stories/RU_Electronic_Nicotine_Delivery_Systems_brief_Final.pdf

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Was doing some information gathering on the specifics of menthol biosynthesis when I noticed that Brazil had banned cigarette additives such as menthol and other additives. That made me aware of this The Framework Convention Alliance for Tobacco Control , so I looked around to see if they had a position on e cigs. Which they use/have created the acronym E.N.D.S. or Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (Why do large organizations have such a fascination with acronyms? :blink:)....

ENDS.... Sounds kind of, well, terminal, doesn't it? I'm sure the selection of "Electronic Nicotine Delivery System" with its ENDS acronym, was not unintentional...

My take on this is that they simply don't want to touch e cigs and are perfectly happy in allowing Big Tobacco and Big Pharma to battle each covertly and in the courts.
The Adobe link :

http://www.fctc.org/images/stories/RU_Electronic_Nicotine_Delivery_Systems_brief_Final.pdf

Based on this one document (from Nov. 2012) you might be right, but this is the World Health Organization we're talking about. WHO does *not* like ecigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread