FDA: Anti smoking drug Chantix linked to more than 500 suicides

Status
Not open for further replies.

ennagizer

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
South Florida, USA
I really hate bad information written in articles. The article states: "the FDA is standing behind Chantix, which has a 12-month quit rate of 22 percent, slightly better than counseling or nicotine-replacement therapy such as the patch or gum." They get that 22% number from an article on motherjones.com which states "The trials showed that about 22 percent of Chantix users who took the drug for three months were able to kick the habit for a year or more."

That motherjones.com article also quotes "Lirio Covey, a professor of clinical psychology at Columbia University who worked on Pfizer's clinical trials" and "has received nearly $80,000 from Pfizer this year to study the effects of smoking cessation on mood" as saying "the key facts are these: Millions have taken Chantix, so the number of people claiming severe side effects is relatively small. (In her estimation, the drug's benefits outweigh its risks.) She also says it's still not clear whether the side effects are the direct result of the drug, or of nicotine withdrawal."

I guess some researchers don't care how many people die or get hurt, as long as they get their funding. "The drug's benefits outweigh its risks" - holy crap.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I think it's interesting (read- ridiculous) that the benefits supposedly outweigh the risks for Chantix, but not for e-cigs. We have pretty reliable evidence that chantix causes weird psychotic episodes, sometimes leading to death, but that's okay because it helps people quit (for a while, at least). But despite all the searching that has been done for problems with e-cigs, all they can come up with are hypothetical problems, but the risk is too high?!? Bizarro world.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
I think it's interesting (read- ridiculous) that the benefits supposedly outweigh the risks for Chantix, but not for e-cigs. We have pretty reliable evidence that chantix causes weird psychotic episodes, sometimes leading to death, but that's okay because it helps people quit (for a while, at least). But despite all the searching that has been done for problems with e-cigs, all they can come up with are hypothetical problems, but the risk is too high?!? Bizarro world.

This is what really gets to me. Pfizer has until 2017 to investigate & report back. How many more people have to die as Pfizer profits? Yet despite a growing body of evidence about the benefits of ecig THR, the old 'we have no long term studies of ecig safety' results in 'it must be regulated to be safe' propaganda. Yes, I joined Casaa.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
So, what's an acceptable level of suicide, attempted suicide, depression, psychosis and aggression? Seems like that ceiling hasn't been met. One is too many.

ANTZ seem to think that all smokers are going to die early, so a few suicides are OK if a lot of other lives are saved. They don't see the faces behind the statistics.

J.R.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the federal agency that governs truckers, said Chantix may “adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.”

When, over 25 years ago, I quit all use of nicotine, I was as much a menace behind the wheel as a drunk. So tell me again how nicotine abstinence is the healthiest practice for everyone.

I waited six whole months for the bad stuff to stop, and when it didn't stop, and when the doctor told me there wasn't any medication she could give me, I told her that I had to resume smoking in self-defense.

Now, I don't smoke, but I can function normally because I haven't foolishly agreed to give up the drug that keeps my symptoms under control. For some of us, quitting nicotine is like an epileptic thinking it would be healthier for him to stop taking anticonvulsants

cassandraschild

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Springfield VA
The problem with Chantix, and why there are so many suicides, is that Chantix messes with people with any Mood Disorder. Major Depression, Bipolar, ect. It can make them go manic or super depressed. I'm Bipolar, so I refuse to take it. But there are many undiagnosed people, and this can be a nightmare for them.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I really hate bad information written in articles.

Actually the more you pick through that article the worse it gets. One of the links just goes to what amounts to no more than a "We WON!!! (The lawyers, that is.) Yahoo!!!" press release from the law firm handling the class action - no information to be had there other than that, and the dollar amount.

And I love the quote, supposedly attributed to Thomas J. Moore: "'People who carry weapons for a living such as police officers and military should not take a drug, which can cause – and this is well-documented – uncontrollable rage,' he said."

Not gonna comment... not gonna do it... regarding which gun totin' members of the public Chantix would be okey dokey for, but which gun totin' members of the public should probably not take it. This country is crazy to begin with, 'spose a little Chantix thrown into the mix wouldn't hurt that much. Next we'll have BP coming out with some kind of "Chantix doesn't kill people. Only bad people who take Chantix kill people..." campaign to counter that quote. :facepalm:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The problem with Chantix, and why there are so many suicides, is that Chantix messes with people with any Mood Disorder. Major Depression, Bipolar, ect. It can make them go manic or super depressed. I'm Bipolar, so I refuse to take it. But there are many undiagnosed people, and this can be a nightmare for them.

Well the cognitive impairments I suffered as a result of nicotine abstinence were accompanied with a crushing case of depression. Given that, when I found out how Chantix works, I decided that there was no way that I would ever try that stuff. And now that the results are in, I see that I was 100% right.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
ANTZ seem to think that all smokers are going to die early, so a few suicides are OK if a lot of other lives are saved. They don't see the faces behind the statistics.

J.R.

So sad that folks from The planet of the ANTZ dont care about factual data. A few people died - no big deal. Instead they want to promote incorrect information about e-cigs and would love to see them banned............

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
My buddy who works for the medical industry says it "took away his drive" like it made him feel for the lack of a better word "blar" about everything, kinda like took the fun out of everything, made him not want to do anything...desensitized him, like having a "what for" outlook on everything...yeah, he quit smoking while taking it...but he said it made him not want to "do anything"

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
So sad that folks from The planet of the ANTZ dont care about factual data. A few people died - no big deal. Instead they want to promote incorrect information about e-cigs and would love to see them banned............

That's because its not about public health. Its all about the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread