Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
As reported Today:

"...The U.S. Food and Drug Administration now seems poised to pull e-cigs from the market because the agency considers them "new drugs.'' That means they need approval from the FDA, which requires companies to back up their claims with scientific data.
"It is illegal to sell or market them, and the FDA is looking into this,'' said Rita Chappelle, an agency spokeswoman.
Asked if that meant the FDA would crack down on the dozens of mall kiosks nationwide where the product is being sold like perfume and cellphone covers, Chappelle said: "This is an open case. Beyond that I can not comment.''

Informed of the FDA's position, David Burke, Valley Fair's general manager, said Monday that the shopping center is looking into the legality of the product. "All our retailers are required to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations,'' he said."

From this article it appears from the FDA spokeswomen, Rita Chappelle, that the FDA is getting ready to manuver, but refuses to release what they are going to do and when they are going to do it--Sun

See E-cigarette generates excitement at Valley Fair as FDA crackdown looms - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
As reported Today:

"...The U.S. Food and Drug Administration now seems poised to pull e-cigs from the market because the agency considers them "new drugs.'' That means they need approval from the FDA, which requires companies to back up their claims with scientific data.
"It is illegal to sell or market them, and the FDA is looking into this,'' said Rita Chappelle, an agency spokeswoman.
Asked if that meant the FDA would crack down on the dozens of mall kiosks nationwide where the product is being sold like perfume and cellphone covers, Chappelle said: "This is an open case. Beyond that I can not comment.''

Informed of the FDA's position, David Burke, Valley Fair's general manager, said Monday that the shopping center is looking into the legality of the product. "All our retailers are required to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations,'' he said."

From this article it appears from the FDA spokeswomen, Rita Chappelle, that the FDA is getting ready to manuver, but refuses to release what they are going to do and when they are going to do it--Sun

See E-cigarette generates excitement at Valley Fair as FDA crackdown looms - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Hmmmm. Well, the devices aren't drugs.

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks for the link. What I find especially troubling in that article is this quote from an FDA spokesperson:

It is illegal to sell or market them
(Emphasis mine.) So if the FDA _already_ considers them illegal, the hammer could fall much sooner than I thought.

"I understand why people use the nicotine replacement aids,'' said Serena Chen, regional tobacco policy director of the American Lung Association in California. "But I don't understand why people want to pretend that they're smoking.''
Ummm hello? That is exactly why many people can put down analogs immediately after receiving their device... the same people who have already tried your precious nicotine replacement aids and failed, Miss Chen. Ack it raises my blood pressure, I tell ya.

Funniest quote in there has gotta be this:
"If you had a serial killer who liked to stab people, would you give him a rubber knife?'' asked Chen. "This just boggles the mind.''
Hehehehe great line, but sorry.

Deficit

Moved On
Mar 2, 2009
Vienna, Ohio
This is absolutely terrible news :(

I hope they either don't take it too far, or conclude that these are harmless (other than the nicotine) and let the pressure off for a while. Why hasn't the FDA banned analog cigs with their 4,000+ chemicals plus nicotine plus carbon monoxide? Not saying they SHOULD ban analogs (unless they want half the country rioting), just wondering how can they allow analogs but not allow what *SEEMS* to be a much safer and healthier alternative?!

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
This is absolutely terrible news :(

I hope they either don't take it too far, or conclude that these are harmless (other than the nicotine) and let the pressure off for a while. Why hasn't the FDA banned analog cigs with their 4,000+ chemicals plus nicotine plus carbon monoxide? Not saying they SHOULD ban analogs (unless they want half the country rioting), just wondering how can they allow analogs but not allow what *SEEMS* to be a much safer and healthier alternative?!

The tobacco lobby has better lawyers.

Oh well. Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to HOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

//Johnson Creek Kona Coffee for the win! It is NOT TUNA!!!!!!!

nosmoke

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2008
Chen believes that many ex-smokers will conclude that the e-cigarette is harmless and be lured back into the smoking trap.

"If you had a serial killer who liked to stab people, would you give him a rubber knife?'' asked Chen. "This just boggles the mind.''

Daaaaamn. How can argue with logic like that?!?!

You know what pisses them off... is the fact that they are not getting their cut in massive taxation.

Amazing to think that anyone with a modicum of intelligence would consider something which stops people or certainly helps people to stop ingesting 4000 deadly chemicals.

Reaffirms my point that the will to be a politician or anything close too should BAN you for life for being one...stupid idiots!

THIS THING IS WHY I HAVENT STARTED AGAIN>>>SO BACK THE F OFF CHEN YOU MONGO

Last edited:

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Serial killer... rubber knife...

We can't esmoke because cigarettes kill people and as ex/current smokers/people "emulating smoking" we are killing people? So therefore we.... are serial killers....:confused:

I'm sure to someone somewhere that makes sense.

Hey - it's either that or they turn you into a pedophile, right?

Lol this has more to do with some idiots in the FDA trying to spare their jobs I think. There is no logical reason to ban these things. Not everyone uses nicotine in them. Big Pharma, Big tobacco don't like people edging in on their turf I guess? Well, we still should be able to get our nic liquid in a plain brown wrapper discretely labeled as something other than e juice?

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
Grrrr....... :mad:

I hate this crap.

Just leave us alone for cryin out loud!

Boils my blood that a FEW people in positions of power can make these kinds of decisions.

None of their business imo.

AMEN!

We need to get our suppliers to drop any mention of these things as being healthy. They need to be listed as what they are, alternatives to tobacco smoking, and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread