The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Fda crackdown looms

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by Sun Vaporer, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    As reported Today:

"...The U.S. Food and Drug Administration now seems poised to pull e-cigs from the market because the agency considers them "new drugs.'' That means they need approval from the FDA, which requires companies to back up their claims with scientific data.
    "It is illegal to sell or market them, and the FDA is looking into this,'' said Rita Chappelle, an agency spokeswoman.
    Asked if that meant the FDA would crack down on the dozens of mall kiosks nationwide where the product is being sold like perfume and cellphone covers, Chappelle said: "This is an open case. Beyond that I can not comment.''

Informed of the FDA's position, David Burke, Valley Fair's general manager, said Monday that the shopping center is looking into the legality of the product. "All our retailers are required to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations,'' he said."

From this article it appears from the FDA spokeswomen, Rita Chappelle, that the FDA is getting ready to manuver, but refuses to release what they are going to do and when they are going to do it--Sun

See E-cigarette generates excitement at Valley Fair as FDA crackdown looms - Santa Cruz Sentinel

2. Faethe

Faethe Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Hmmmm. Well, the devices aren't drugs.

3. booboo

booboo Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2009
    San Diego, CA
  4. Nuck

Nuck Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Chen believes that many ex-smokers will conclude that the e-cigarette is harmless and be lured back into the smoking trap.

"If you had a serial killer who liked to stab people, would you give him a rubber knife?'' asked Chen. "This just boggles the mind.''

Daaaaamn. How can argue with logic like that?!?!

5. mrl

mrl Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 24, 2009
    Wellington NZ
    We are drug fiends lol and can't be trusted

6. Programmer

Programmer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2009
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Thanks for the link. What I find especially troubling in that article is this quote from an FDA spokesperson:

(Emphasis mine.) So if the FDA _already_ considers them illegal, the hammer could fall much sooner than I thought.

Ummm hello? That is exactly why many people can put down analogs immediately after receiving their device... the same people who have already tried your precious nicotine replacement aids and failed, Miss Chen. Ack it raises my blood pressure, I tell ya.

Funniest quote in there has gotta be this:
    Hehehehe great line, but sorry.

7. Di

Di ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2008
    *Australia*
    sorry guys,
    looks like you may be next on the big brother banned list...........................

Di .....8-o

8. smokingclam

smokingclam Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2009
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    Looks like the **** is about to hit the fan!:mad:

9. Deficit

Deficit Moved On

Mar 2, 2009
    Vienna, Ohio
    This is absolutely terrible news :(

I hope they either don't take it too far, or conclude that these are harmless (other than the nicotine) and let the pressure off for a while. Why hasn't the FDA banned analog cigs with their 4,000+ chemicals plus nicotine plus carbon monoxide? Not saying they SHOULD ban analogs (unless they want half the country rioting), just wondering how can they allow analogs but not allow what *SEEMS* to be a much safer and healthier alternative?!

10. QueenInNC

QueenInNC Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 21, 2009
    Charlotte, NC USA
    Damn! This is no good.:mad:

11. Walrus

Walrus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hell, you can buy bongs in half a dozen head shops in town. They KNOW they are using those for illegal drugs. Tell me big tobacco isn't subsidizing this action.

12. Faethe

Feb 12, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    The tobacco lobby has better lawyers.

Oh well. Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to HOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

//Johnson Creek Kona Coffee for the win! It is NOT TUNA!!!!!!!

13. ejfan1977

ejfan1977 Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2009
    Kingston, Washington
    Okay everybody stock up!

14. Faethe

Feb 12, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    LMAO I just hoarded some Johnson Creek.

Simulpost!

15. nosmoke

nosmoke Full Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    You know what pisses them off... is the fact that they are not getting their cut in massive taxation.

Amazing to think that anyone with a modicum of intelligence would consider something which stops people or certainly helps people to stop ingesting 4000 deadly chemicals.

Reaffirms my point that the will to be a politician or anything close too should BAN you for life for being one...stupid idiots!

THIS THING IS WHY I HAVENT STARTED AGAIN>>>SO BACK THE F OFF CHEN YOU MONGO

16. MisterPuck

MisterPuck Senior Member ECF Veteran

Serial killer... rubber knife...

We can't esmoke because cigarettes kill people and as ex/current smokers/people "emulating smoking" we are killing people? So therefore we.... are serial killers....:confused:

I'm sure to someone somewhere that makes sense.

17. Calaban

Calaban Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2009
    Newmarket, NH USA
    Grrrr....... :mad:

I hate this crap.

Just leave us alone for cryin out loud!

Boils my blood that a FEW people in positions of power can make these kinds of decisions.

None of their business imo.

18. Faethe

Feb 12, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Hey - it's either that or they turn you into a pedophile, right?

Lol this has more to do with some idiots in the FDA trying to spare their jobs I think. There is no logical reason to ban these things. Not everyone uses nicotine in them. Big Pharma, Big tobacco don't like people edging in on their turf I guess? Well, we still should be able to get our nic liquid in a plain brown wrapper discretely labeled as something other than e juice?

19. ejfan1977

ejfan1977 Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2009
    Kingston, Washington
    I'll second that...:mad:

20. Cuando

Cuando Ultra Member ECF Veteran

AMEN!

We need to get our suppliers to drop any mention of these things as being healthy. They need to be listed as what they are, alternatives to tobacco smoking, and that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.