The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

FDA/Customs forms importing whaat? You gotta be kidding me!

Discussion in 'FDA Regulations' started by crixer, Oct 25, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. crixer

crixer Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta
    I bought an RTA from some guy overseas and he sent via FedEX. FedEx just called me telling me that I had to fill out forms to import ecig stuff into the country... [edited]? I will post the form once I get it. Has anyone else had to do this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    And So It Begins....

:eek:

LOL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, your location is undisclosed, as is "some guy," so I have no idea.

I have found that posts with questions containing the words "some guy" tend to really have unhappy endings.... :( I wish I could state otherwise, but it's like 100% average.

Best of luck, not sure you should return the form to "some guy" and maybe try to get your money back unless you paid cash, in which case, forget it. Also forget it if "some guy" can turn you in somehow, like if "some guy" has your information.

I Hope I am Wrong, and I am Wrong with Great Frequency..... Good luck.

Anna

4. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    I thought I read last year about FedEx doing this. Not sure tho.

5. Beamslider

Beamslider Ultra Member Verified Member

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    FedEx always charges custom form fee. Around $20. No matter what it is that is shipped. Don't use FedEx

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Basically FedEx will bill you for customs clearance on anything that doesn't have a NAFTA certificate. Nothing to do with vaping. They have been ripping people off for a decade.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. cats5365

cats5365 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    UPS will also stick you with broker fees for import shipments. Whenever you can, ask to ship by mail so that USPS makes the delivery of you are in the USA.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Yes USPS is the way to get international shipments in the USA whenever possible. No hassle at all and no stupid custom clearance fee.

Several years ago I was looking for a computer item that was out of stock everywhere. Finally found it in Canada for a good price. They shipped it FedEx and it came right away. A few weeks later a bill came from FedEx for $48 customs clearance fees.

Well I never paid them as I checked and they didn't actually pay any duty on it. They just gave customs a form. They put non payment on credit report but I got it removed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    What about DHL? I got one or two shipments from Europe that were awful fast. Don't remember costs or duty fees tho.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ENAUD

ENAUD falling, falling, down the rabbit hole... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    looking forward to seeing this "form". thanks for posting this.

• Like Like x 1
  12. crixer

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta
    It isn't really "some guy". I bought it off of another forum in the classifieds. I guess the mistake he made was putting ecig on he form as the contents. Usually when I order from Germany it says something like "tools" or something. The form seems to be a PDF created from a word doc. I am not sure this "worksheet" is an official form. It looks like it is in TN and showing delivery delayed for FDA inspection. I could maybe understand if it was juice, but a bunch of small metal parts is crazy. I am not against regulations, I just hate stupidity. My location states Atlanta. I am in the state of Georgia.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. crixer

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta
    Just got off the phone with FedEX, who knows when the FDA will do anything. It is just stuck in limbo.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  14. ENAUD

Supporting member
    And so it begins...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Firestorm

Firestorm Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chicagoland
    DHL rocks. I've received dozens of DHL parcels full of mods and atomizers from Europe and I've only had a customs issue with one which Vapourart was able to address for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I had no idea about all this craziness, but I have to say, I use USPS unless I need blood plasma shipped to me (I'm using an example of something needed fast, not sure blood plasma is the best example, but you get what I'm saying) I am actually surprisingly loyal to USPS, I feel they really stepped up their game compared to Fed Ex and whatnot, and I refuse to pay those prices if I can help it. The fact that Fed Ex and UPS are gouging further does not surprise me in the slightest.

So, it sounds like completing the form is optional, but perhaps not so much if you want your product? And do they only do this on high end products like electronics or whatnot, like is there a trigger "amount" your product is worth for Fed Ex to decide it wants a secondary, doubled customs fee?

If I ship e-cig equipment out of the country I tend not to label it as such, while creatively labelling it accurately. (An oil atomizer, etc.) Just to make customs easier, I can't believe Fed ex has added this whole new level of trickery. Hmm.

Anna

17. ENAUD

Supporting member
    The part that struck me most wasn't the form, it's the delayed for FDA inspection.

Hopefully they will just take a look and send it on its way to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. crixer

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta
    It is a Kayfun v3.1. I bought it from a guy in Russia. It will be interesting to see what happens here. There is nothing in the box that wasn't sold in the USA as well. It is almost worth going through this to see what the process is going to be like going forward. If they deny/confiscate something that is/was sold in the USA wouldn't surprise me at all.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand.

PS I prefer USPS. Love the tracking and it is usually really quick. This guy was out in the boonies somewhere in Russia so FedEX was the only real solution.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Firestorm

Firestorm Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chicagoland
    I've had issues with USPS, but overall, they deliver a ton of mail on time every day (not including Sunday, unless it's from Amazon of course). If you order from overseas and do not choose a courier like DHL, FedEx, or UPS, then your parcel will be shipped using the country's local postal service, so you're now dealing with a foreign postal service before USPS even gets it. You may have a lot of faith in the USPS, but what about Greek Post, Royal Mail, Turkish Post, etc. that you may have never dealt with? You're probably more likely to reclaim your costs via insurance from one of the big three that you probably won't get from a foreign postal service. There are definitely U.S.-based reps that you can talk to from one of the big delivery couriers in case you have a problem. You'll probably have to place a long distance call in the middle of the night and make use of a translator if you have to track down a package lost by a local overseas courier. I have used foreign postal services for small items or taken the risk with more expensive items and never had a problem, but I don't have the same sense of comfort when using UPS, FedEx, or DHL (for which you definitely pay a premium).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    The part that struck me most was the check box labeled - Ethylene Glycol (without nicotine or flavoring added)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1