FDA "FDA has answers", not so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I got an e-mail from CASAA this morning giving a number to call an FDA "hotline" set up for the "deeming regulations." I don't usually do it, but am so frustrated I jotted down about 10 questions and made the call.

Most of my questions have been discussed somewhere in this forum, but I wanted to see what answers they had. The lady I talked with was very nice and understanding, but could only provide one definitive answer........"Tasting bars are going away."

Everything else, from effective dates to DIY, was basically take the questions and pass them along. We'll see if/when answers are provided.

From our "discussions", the main thing I took away from the conversations is that vape shops are now classified as tobacco shops and, as such, any/all sales through those "tobacco" shops would fall under these regulations. That was pretty much my final question......if a "tobacco shop" sells a battery, PG, VG, beaker, syringe, wire, cotton, etc., will they need FDA approval? Hard to even imagine that would be the case, but I did offer that with that level of control, it certainly appeared the main objective of these regulations is the elimination of vape shops.

I'll share any response should there be any.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Well I don't go to the B&M's at all but it's just horrific that they are going to close down all those businesses and put all those people out of work for the sake of BT's profits, and as we all know, that's what it's really about. By my lights the FDA is nothing more than a tool in the pocket of rich corporations bending the laws to their agendas. That's why they made it too costly for small businesses to stay in business. People like them belong in prison.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I got an e-mail from CASAA this morning giving a number to call an FDA "hotline" set up for the "deeming regulations." I don't usually do it, but am so frustrated I jotted down about 10 questions and made the call.

Most of my questions have been discussed somewhere in this forum, but I wanted to see what answers they had. The lady I talked with was very nice and understanding, but could only provide one definitive answer........"Tasting bars are going away."

Everything else, from effective dates to DIY, was basically take the questions and pass them along. We'll see if/when answers are provided.

From our "discussions", the main thing I took away from the conversations is that vape shops are now classified as tobacco shops and, as such, any/all sales through those "tobacco" shops would fall under these regulations. That was pretty much my final question......if a "tobacco shop" sells a battery, PG, VG, beaker, syringe, wire, cotton, etc., will they need FDA approval? Hard to even imagine that would be the case, but I did offer that with that level of control, it certainly appeared the main objective of these regulations is the elimination of vape shops.

I'll share any response should there be any.
So they don't like "tasting bars"? Why not? They've helped a lot of people, inclluding me, stop smoking. I suppose there's nothing good about that if you are tax supported.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I had hoped many others would have gotten the e-mail, called, and perhaps even commented here. Now I find out this may have only been set up for one day, May 10. I tried to check the e-mail I received, but it won't come up now. I wasn't aware it could/would be wiped out when in my inbox. I have gone from an enthusiasm for vapers flooding their call line with questions to added frustration that I was actually duped into providing them with information/concerns they can/will use in preparation of a canned standard response or, worse yet, basis on how to interpret/amend their own regulations to fit their agenda.

Over the years, I have had some battles with big government and some of its agencies and dealt with many frustrations, but nothing previous compares to this and other current issues. Yet, it seems the vast majority approves of big governments actions. :facepalm:

ETA: Checked and e-mail does now show up. Perhaps just a glitch.

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Hang in there, OND. I got the email as well. I fully intend to call and will share my results here as well. I just have had a busy week and no chance to make that call yet.

I will though. Promise :)

Thanks,salemgold! My e-mail doesn't clearly state whether this is/was a 1 day thing, just says "Please take a moment today", so hope you are able to get through to them. To me, giving us 24 hours to call in is no more then tossing us a bone and setting up a "we did everything" excuse. How many people would even have known about this without CASAA?

But guess I should hold off on those opinions until we know for sure. Thanks again, good luck with your call, and I'm OK and hanging tough! :vapor:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Well, I got a canned response from the FDA today, none of which answers any of my specific questions. I'm not going to try and relay what it says because it would take a battery of attorneys to interpret its meaning. But I will share that it is clearly written in "attorney speak", that is, totally accurate and totally useless. Use of terms like "up to three years" and "where appropriate" provides them with plenty of wiggle room to make adjustments to the regulations "as needed." But they clearly stated "unless the product was on the market as of Feb. 15, 2007", defining a grandfather date written in stone.

Basically, was as I expected......no more then providing them a justification that they are doing all they can to help those infected (intentional grammatical error).

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
But they clearly stated "unless the product was on the market as of Feb. 15, 2007", defining a grandfather date written in stone.

Basically, was as I expected......no more then providing them a justification that they are doing all they can to help those infected (intentional grammatical error).

Unless H.R. 2058 is passed in the Senate. It passed in the House. That would make the original date go away.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Unless H.R. 2058 is passed in the Senate. It passed in the House. That would make the original date go away.

Thanks and we are all hoping on that. The point I was trying to make is that was the only statement in their response that was void of any interpretation confusion and "wiggle room."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread