squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Trump's FDA Head Vows to Keep E-Cigs Away from Kids ... or Else

Promises "very vigorous enforcement steps" soon in House testimony

FDA Head Vows to Keep E-Cigs Away from Kids ... or Else

"We're going to have to step in ... We can't just addict a whole generation of young people on nicotine with e-cigarettes and consider that a public health advance," Gottlieb said Tuesday to a subcommittee of the House Committee on Appropriations. "We'll be taking some very vigorous enforcement steps ... starting in the coming weeks."

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Trump's FDA Head Vows to Keep E-Cigs Away from Kids ... or Else

Promises "very vigorous enforcement steps" soon in House testimony

FDA Head Vows to Keep E-Cigs Away from Kids ... or Else

"We're going to have to step in ... We can't just addict a whole generation of young people on nicotine with e-cigarettes and consider that a public health advance," Gottlieb said Tuesday to a subcommittee of the House Committee on Appropriations. "We'll be taking some very vigorous enforcement steps ... starting in the coming weeks."

Enforcement of age restrictions isn't a bad thing..

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
This Isn't about Age Restrictions.

Because we have those Already.

It's about enforcement of age restrictions...

What congress is saying isn't the point... they are demanding enforcement of deeming, what Gottlieb is doing is promising enforcement of age restrictions and won't let anyone (in congress) pin him down to any promise other than that..

I'll say I'm wrong if I am... but that's what that reads to me. We will wait and see...

• Optimistic

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    "WASHINGTON -- E-cigarettes may pose less risks than combustible tobacco, and may provide a "viable alternative," for adults, but adult access to such products will be reined in if the number of kids using e-cigarettes continues to climb, according to FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, MD."

Why do they have to rein in adult access to a life saving alternative?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It's about enforcement of age restrictions...

What congress is saying isn't the point... they are demanding enforcement of deeming, what Gottlieb is doing is promising enforcement of age restrictions and won't let anyone (in congress) pin him down to any promise other than that..

I'll say I'm wrong if I am... but that's what that reads to me. We will wait and see...

It's about Banning Flavors Opinionated.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    It's about Banning Flavors Opinionated.

That's one war.. but the discussion in congress was about making it more difficult for children to purchase e cigarettes...

Gottlieb has already put a hold on any thing to do with flavors until the FDA hears from all sides, but the discussion in congress was much more general.

He promised "enforcement" meaning enforce something already in existence (Which is nothing to do with flavors) which would result in children not buying ecigarettes..

That sounds like age restriction enforcement to me and not what all the talking heads are "demanding"..

Pay attention - there will be a huge age restriction enforcement very soon... the FDA is going to set up stings..

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I would also love to see them really get educated about just what it is that people are really addicted to when they smoke cigarettes. Have not heard anything about the tar and all of the added chemicals that target the pleasure centers of the brain that the FDA has allowed to be incorporated into the making of a cigarette plus nothing at all on the alkaloids that 'calm' some people down internally. It seems to me they should have at least a working knowledge of what they are dealing with in order to regulate them.

just my 2 pennies.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I am all for age restriction, but I am curious, they can't stop the kids from getting their hands on cigarettes so what makes them think they can stop them from getting ecigs?

The FDA knows this. So do those in Congress who are Beating the "We Have to Save the Children" Drum. This is just the Opening moves of a Bigger Offensive.

It's like in Chess when you push a Pawn up. You many times are Not pushing a Pawn up because it gives you so much of a Strategic advantage. But it does Open Up a lane for your Bishop to come out.

If Underage usage Doesn't go down significantly by aggressive buying age enforcement, which it Won't, what will be the Next Move that is Demanded?

We Have to Ban Flavors because that is the Only thing that will Save the Children.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    The FDA knows this. So do those in Congress who are Beating the "We Have to Save the Children" Drum. This is just the Opening moves of a Bigger Offensive.

It's like in Chess when you push a Pawn up. You many times are Not pushing a Pawn up because it gives you so much of a Strategic advantage. But it does Open Up a lane for your Bishop to come out.

If Underage usage Doesn't go down significantly by aggressive buying age enforcement, which it Won't, what will be the Next Move that is Demanded?

We Have to Ban Flavors because that is the Only thing that will Save the Children.

I agree with this assessment and conclusion...

But first will be aggressive age restriction enforcement.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    My problem is how will it be enforced "more"...?
    Cops running around confiscating pods? Haven't the cops got enough work as it is?
    The other thing that worries me, is vaping in general is trying its best to prove that it is in fact harmless compared to the evil that is smoking.
    This situation is doing vaping more harm than good i'm afraid. All those non vaping fingers will be pointing at the act of vaping...not at the children...:yawn:
    Hope i'm not being to pessimistic, but this is harming vaping and stirring the mess even more...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    My problem is how will it be enforced "more"...?
    Cops running around confiscating pods? Haven't the cops got enough work as it is?
    The other thing that worries me, is vaping in general is trying its best to prove that it is in fact harmless compared to the evil that is smoking.
    This situation is doing vaping more harm than good i'm afraid. All those non vaping fingers will be pointing at the act of vaping...not at the children...:yawn:
    Hope i'm not being to pessimistic, but this is harming vaping and stirring the mess even more...

The FDA's authority basically ends at the Point of Sale.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Notice it's the senators from states losing the most $ from MSA agreements are the most vocal.
    $$$$$$

It is Also Senators who's First Page in their Re-election Playbook centers around Inventing/Spreading FUD and then crashing in like the Kool-Aid Man saying that they are here to Protect You.

And, of course, Protect Your Children.

ka_bust_school.jpeg

Last edited:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    • Agree

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    So glad that neither of the Hawaii Senators is a signatory of that letter. :)

However, that may be because our State’s government seems to be moving toward taxing and further restricting vapers. :(

Yeah... The same could be Said for California.

• Agree

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    Yeah... The same could be Said for California.
    Just received an email from Eciggity, a local vendor regarding pending legislation:

Last chance for Hawaii

Hate to say it, but I think we're done here. Time to look into stockpiling DIY supplies - at least the nic concentrate. PFFT!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Just received an email from Eciggity, a local vendor regarding pending legislation:

Last chance for Hawaii

Hate to say it, but I think we're done here. Time to look into stockpiling DIY supplies - at least the nic concentrate. PFFT!

Yeah... Looks like SB2654 is sailing thru the Assembly with little Organized Opposition.

I think unless People are actual willing to go out into the Streets carrying Signs that have Senators Names on them, that what you are seeing will happen in Most States.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread