• Winner
Reactions: HigherStateD

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The subject of British actors playing bad guys in American film and TV is at the forefront of my mind at the moment having just watched the latest season of Happy! One of the main baddies is an evil gangster called Francisco Scaramucci played by English actor Richie Coster. His Long Island accent is highly authentic in my opinion, it certainly had me fooled.

His character transitions into a demon called Orcus who sports a really campy posh English accent. This caught my attention firstly because of the evil British trope of which I spoke earlier in this thread. I thought it was additionally interesting as actually he is English, though you wouldn't know it. Rather than using his native plain Southern English accent he uses an over the top super enunciated one. This makes sense in the context of an American show and the afore mentioned trope as the more 'British' he is, the more evil he must be. I just feel he would have been even more scary and would created a greater disparity using his natural native accent.

Another notable English actor who's American accent was so convincing it was decades before I realised she wasn't actually American is Gillian Anderson from the X-Files. Or Hugh Laurie (House) who caused a stir on chat shows when people realised he wasn't actually American.

Bomb, I find it fascinating (unbelievable) that you thought James Bond was played by American actors, especially as the character is quintessentially English. I'm guessing you are one of the many Americans who think that there is no American accent as such, that you speak a neutral version of the English language?

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The subject of British actors playing bad guys in American film and TV is at the forefront of my mind at the moment having just watched the latest season of Happy! One of the main baddies is an evil gangster called Francisco Scaramucci played by English actor Richie Coster. His Long Island accent is highly authentic in my opinion, it certainly had me fooled.

His character transitions into a demon called Orcus who sports a really campy posh English accent. This caught my attention firstly because of the evil British trope of which I spoke earlier in this thread. I thought it was additionally interesting as actually he is English, though you wouldn't know it. Rather than using his native plain Southern English accent he uses an over the top super enunciated one. This makes sense in the context of an American show and the afore mentioned trope as the more 'British' he is, the more evil he must be. I just feel he would have been even more scary and would created a greater disparity using his natural native accent.

Another notable English actor who's American accent was so convincing it was decades before I realised she wasn't actually American is Gillian Anderson from the X-Files. Or Hugh Laurie (House) who caused a stir on chat shows when perople realised he wasn't actually American.

Bomb, I find it fascinating (unbelievable) that you thought James Bond was played by American actors, especially as the character is quintessentially English. I'm guessing you are one of the many Americans who think that there is no American accent as such, that you speak a neutral version of the English language?

Believe me or don’t. I don’t care. I have no reason to lie. The whole “push him! He may fumble again” Thing is becoming a bit tiring.
It becomes a question of how American is defined. There is “American born”, “American citizen”, and “Native American”. One of the more amusing points of the whole “send em back” situation is most of the people chanting it are the children of immigrants themselves, while complaining about the presence of other native born Children of immigrants who are somehow less American than they are, mostly because of skin color. The standard of citizenship they are actually using would apply only to native Americans who are both a quite small percentage of the population and generally of darker complexion.

I was under the impression he became an American citizen. Unlikely though since he was knighted.

This whole citizenship actor thing doesn’t even belong in this thread. I propose it be moved to the lounge or outside or something. It’s a silly argument with no topicality.

Last edited:
Reactions: HigherStateD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread