FDA looking to ban menthol cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxdenVixen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2014
Parker, CO USA
Before I started vaping 6 years ago. I smoked menthol cigarettes. With the vape mail ban, even after stocking up, I was considering going back to smoking what I used to after my supply runs out. Now even that is in jeopardy. Why not make ALL tobacco illegal? Better yet, ban anything that could potentially kill us? What is happening to our freedom of choice? I don't smoke weed, but if others want to then fine, that's their choice. I dont drink alcohol very often. If others want to have a drink when they want to, then fine, that's their choice. Sorry, just venting.

Ericsgreen

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2021
That doesn't sound good, I think I'd do almost anything before quiting vaping to return to smoking. Must've been a long 6 years, I'd pay the triple it takes to shop in a store locally, or make friends with the shop and get them to stock what you'd want. Hell China is cheaper than anything, with the slow delivery here in the US now its barely longer to wait on China, get anything you want there, even the diy I got was decent.

Sounds like the menthol ban may help you in spite of yourself it all does suck to see ecigs slowed, or banned around 5he world and hear that smoking has gone back up, just how could they do this to the people, just how and what lies do you tell yourself to make it seem like a good idea, at all?!

Reactions: Superuser187

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
It all does suck to see ecigs slowed, or banned around 5he world and hear that smoking has gone back up, just how could they do this to the people, just how and what lies do you tell yourself to make it seem like a good idea, at all?!

Easy, it's all about money. Under the TMSA, states get payments each year from Big Tobacco based on the number of cigarettes sold. Vaping has put a large dent into these payments.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    With the vape mail ban, even after stocking up, I was considering going back to smoking what I used to after my supply runs out.

The vape mail ban has been postponed with no definite date. If you have the money, best stock up so you don't have to go back to the stinkies.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    With the vape mail ban, even after stocking up, I was considering going back to smoking what I used to after my supply runs out. Now even that is in jeopardy.

lol, Since I started vaping they have lowered the nicotine levels so much in the stinkies, hard telling how many packs I would need a day. You still can get loaded up on tar and carbon monoxide, they don't care about the crap that will really kill ya.

Ericsgreen

ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2021
    Can I ask the op, why would you 'plan' to return to smoking when your supplies are gone? Why not buy more locally? Hell, people here would give you months for free I imagine. It's good ....posting but are you serious?

And I'd used to would smoke whatever I could get when I needed a smoke, the addiction is mostly broken for me compared to back then, the craving is way different, it's not even the same ballpark really, maybe the same for you if your only vaping, just don't know it yet? The nicotine is cigarettes is way different, wta, entourage effect, a cigarette isn't for smoking, it's a nicotine delivery device to produce the strongest addiction possible, maybe you've already half broken that addiction?

Reactions: 10x sugar

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I would just as soon quit nicotine altogether rather than go back to smoking. Yes, I have gone back to the stinkies when in the psych hospital, because they dont allow vapes, but I knew that once I was discharged, i would, and did, go back to vaping.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I would just as soon quit nicotine altogether rather than go back to smoking. Yes, I have gone back to the stinkies when in the psych hospital, because they dont allow vapes, but I knew that once I was discharged, i would, and did, go back to vaping.

I went to one of those and I would have easily smoked if they allowed it but it was patches only. I actually made it 5 days no nicotine in there the second time but when I got out my Dad had my vape waiting for me in the car and well... here I am 4 years later.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I went to one of those and I would have easily smoked if they allowed it but it was patches only. I actually made it 5 days no nicotine in there the second time but when I got out my Dad had my vape waiting for me in the car and well... here I am 4 years later.

Patches are worthless. Might as well slap a piece of duct tape on your skin. At least that would be cheaper.

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    Patches are worthless. Might as well slap a piece of duct tape on your skin. At least that would be cheaper.

I actually quit with patches at one point. Used the patch for 2 months. Stayed off cigs for a year. Then one of my students got killed and I totally spun off the rails. Now that was before the drastically reduced the dosage of the available patches so they could approve them for long term use.

I have said before if I had to I would keep vaping to satisfy the hand to mouth and slap a patch on for the nic. That is a long shot though as I think I am set for liquid for life at this point.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Can I ask the op, why would you 'plan' to return to smoking when your supplies are gone? Why not buy more locally? Hell, people here would give you months for free I imagine. It's good ....posting but are you serious?

And I'd used to would smoke whatever I could get when I needed a smoke, the addiction is mostly broken for me compared to back then, the craving is way different, it's not even the same ballpark really, maybe the same for you if your only vaping, just don't know it yet? The nicotine is cigarettes is way different, wta, entourage effect, a cigarette isn't for smoking, it's a nicotine delivery device to produce the strongest addiction possible, maybe you've already half broken that addiction?

It depends on age really. Those of us stocking up for "life" are a bit older, and it's easier to stock up for 25 years... but 50? Thats a different story.

My son refused to stock up at all because he saw himself as too young to do so.. and yes, did also decide just to return to smoking.

In the end it's personal choice...

Reactions: YoursTruli

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I understand the rationale but I am so angry about all this mess that if I couldn't vape, I would white knuckle it to death before I would give the government a penny on smokes. I think I would be ok, not really addicted to the nic anymore, it is the hand to mouth thing that keeps me vaping. Otherwise, I would chew my fingernails to the quick or some other OCD thing.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I understand the rationale but I am so angry about all this mess that if I couldn't vape, I would white knuckle it to death before I would give the government a penny on smokes. I think I would be ok, not really addicted to the nic anymore, it is the hand to mouth thing that keeps me vaping. Otherwise, I would chew my fingernails to the quick or some other OCD thing.

I stocked up for life and figure if I'm not dead when I run out of nic then I'm skipping it altogether...

I'm with ya... not another dime!

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    It's naive to think millions won't return to smoking, no matter how long they have been vaping/smoke free, once vaping becomes as or more expensive than smoking and becomes much more limited and difficult to do. For sure we will not see people switching from smoking to vaping as we once did. Already the war on vaping has had a serious effect this past few years alone, cigarette sales remain flat (rising slightly this past year) and vaping has decreased. Between scaremongering, increased prices, less choice and availability, flavor bans and upcoming deeming there won't be much incentive for smokers to switch or to not go back to smoking.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    It's naive to think millions won't return to smoking, no matter how long they have been vaping/smoke free, once vaping becomes as or more expensive than smoking and becomes much more limited and difficult to do. For sure we will not see people switching from smoking to vaping as we once did. Already the war on vaping has had a serious effect this past few years alone, cigarette sales remain flat (rising slightly this past year) and vaping has decreased. Between scaremongering, increased prices, less choice and availability, flavor bans and upcoming deeming there won't be much incentive for smokers to switch or to not go back to smoking.
    I know a lot will return to smoking but I think that is a excuse. Many ecf members returned to smoking over the years before all this mess happened. It is a choice and I support that but for anyone who wants to take up vaping later, there will be ways to do it.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    It depends on age really. Those of us stocking up for "life" are a bit older, and it's easier to stock up for 25 years... but 50? Thats a different story.

My son refused to stock up at all because he saw himself as too young to do so.. and yes, did also decide just to return to smoking.

In the end it's personal choice...

Yea the younger generation are definitely the biggest losers in this deal. Being in my late 50s I only have a 4yr supply. I'll quit, I could never return back to smoking.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread