FDA proposes BANNING ONLINE SALES of electronic cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
AS reported overnight in a Wall Street Journal (and elsewhere), the FDA has raised the possibility that they may ban the online sales of electronic cigarettes as part of its regulatory actions, which will come into force once they have 'deemed' e-cigarettes to be Substantially Equivalent to tobacco products, probably this fall. Further, they are proposing that where e-cigarettes are lawfully sold, they are sold only to those aged 19 and over.

[update] Please do not email/phone the FDA direct. This will likely be counterproductive at this time. Instead, please contact your state and federal representatives. Please also consider joining CASAA, your friendly local consumer advocates.

http://casaa.org/

Banning online sales would, of course, decimate the industry and destroy the amazing pace of innovation we've been witnessing over the last 5 years.

Things we don't know from the article:

1. Whether they have the authority to ban online sales under the provisions of the act.

2. Whether this is being mooted, or if it's a done deal (as far as they're concerned).

3. Whether restricting online sales will require an amendment to the PACT act (and whether or not this is already in play)

4. What the policy is regarding everything else (flavorings, e-liquids versus sealed units, nicotine strength, ingredient specifications etc).

5. Whether the age restriction will also be imposed on tobacco cigarettes.

Regarding the last point, raising the age of sale to 19 year olds seems bizarre if its not being done with a commensurate raising of tobacco age limits. Essentially, they're raising the bar on a product that is vastly less harmful, while leaving the product it intends to replace untouched.

Also, from the article, it's clear that they have no doubts that they will be deeming E-Cigarettes as tobacco products in the near future.

I will leave it to others to fill in the blanks (Bill?), but below are a few links for anyone who needs background information on what's happening here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...2013-e-cigarettes-other-tobacco-products.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...on-food-drug-law-institute-conference-dc.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-cigs-other-unregulated-tobacco-products.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-cigarettes-could-public-health-disaster.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-more-tax-hikes-new-report-press-release.html

Please note, I will be pruning this thread to keep comments on topic.

Last edited:

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Last edited:

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Barbara, you have of course, shone a flashlight on one of several elephants in the room, namely:

Online sales will not stop if they are banned in the US. They will simply move offshore, and all the 'quality control' measures (those which form the bedrock of regulations to being with) are rendered impotent.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
I have to admit that this goes way beyond what I thought they'd try to do.

Regulating nicotine juice? Much as I hate to admit it, I can see that (to a certain limited extent).

But the hardware??!!!?! Batteries, wire, wick, tanks - do they really think they can stop the sale of any of these??

This whole thing just doesn't make any sense.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
CES, according to Bill Godshall in a previous thread, there will be a period following the 'deeming' proposals.

He mentions 6 months, but I'm not clear on the timeline.

So we'll have some time to continue to fight and to stock up.

I hope this turns out to be just a public relations ploy. Especially because (as was already noted) even if proposed, an internet sales ban is not particularly enforceable.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I think it's mighty convenient how a billion-dollar industry has been built mostly by small business, and now the government is looking to take away their ability to sell to the national market. This will push distribution back to large companies with physical presences in many states ... if ever there was a mechanism to rescue big business's tobacco cash cow this is it. Absolutely distressing and disgusting.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Let's assume this irrational angle is the one they are taking, and this is a trial baloon on the upcoming deeming regulations. Let's start skewering the logic right now!

Post to FB, write local and national publications, make fun of this absurdity and lets go on the attack! Take the fight TO these fascist pigs!

Tapped out

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
I predicted this 4 years ago. Despite that I feel this can be fought. I urge anyone who has not already to join CASAA. I urge anyone who has a favorite online vendor to send them an email with a link to this page and ask them what they intend to do to fight to stay in business. If you haven't been writing to your political representatives and would like to continue to enjoy discounted prices online you might want to start.

Expect a flood of B&M and kiosk openings in the coming year. This is better then an outright ban. But it's still complete BS.

Last edited:

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
so if they ban online sales does that mean ill still be able to buy at my local vape store?

Yes and no. Expect prices to skyrocket on anything good and far more aggressive offerings to appear at gas stations and c stores. Expect innovation to slow to a crawl. Expect a flood of cheap, poorly QC'd crap being direct retailed from other countries. Expect 60% of USA made juice to vanish overnight. Also expect this to be fought in court much like their import ban. That's assuming this isn't a small part of a wider attack to regulate them into oblivion which could still be their goal. If bottled juice is banned for example, a good half of today's best equipment will be rendered too cost prohibitive to use.

I don't suggest that anyone assume it will all work for the best and would urge everyone to get involved in anyway they can. It's time for our industry to fight for it's survival, again.

Awkwardly Awesome

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Minnesota
In Minnesota, the state already considers it to be a tobacco product, B&M's are required to have a tobacco license to sell e-juice. But they wouldn't need one if they only sold hardware. So I feel like the only thing that the FDA could actually ban from online sales is e-juice. But realistically, if they are going to do anything to internet sales, they should just require all vendors to use age verification services.

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
This whole business is 'humpty dumpty' regulation - "it is what it is because I say it is".

In the first instance, the FDA said e-cigs were medicines, and were told in no uncertain terms in court that they are not.

Now they are saying they're tobacco products, but no-one seems to be challenging this. They are no more tobacco products than Cola is a coffee product.

Pure Humpty Dumpty, and if they decide the hardware is also a tobacco product it'll be just as absurd, but no more so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread