FDA Sued Over Electronic Cigarette Embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
As reported here, Smoke Everywhere filed suit against the FDA yesderday, claming the FDA has overstepped its regulatory authority by banning shipments of the devices and insisting they need to go through the drug approval process.

The suit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and argues that:

"the FDA has overstepped its regulatory authority by banning shipments of the devices and insisting they need to go through the drug approval process.....

Smoking Everywhere’s lawyers from Thompson Hine point out that in 2000, the Supreme Court ruled that the FDA did not have the power to regulate ordinary cigarettes. Therefore, it shouldn’t be allowed to clamp down on their high tech counterparts, the lawyers argue.

“There are a series of laws and regulations pertaining to the advertising and distribution of regular cigarettes that we believe are more appropriate for this particular product, and those laws and regulations are largely administered by the Federal Trade Commission,” says Walt Linscott, an Atlanta-based partner at Thompson Hine."

Game on my friends----------Sun

See The BLT: The Blog of Legal Times : FDA Sued Over Electronic Cigarette Embargo

StudioKraft

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2009
NJ, USA
www.studiokraft.com
Unfortunately, If/when the Waxman Bill passes in the senate, the FDA will have regulatory authority over tobacco ciagarettes...then what?

Yes, especially since it seems that the argument from the Smoking Everywhere lawyer is to equate PVs with cigarettes:

Smoking Everywhere’s lawyers from Thompson Hine point out that in 2000, the Supreme Court ruled that the FDA did not have the power to regulate ordinary cigarettes. Therefore, it shouldn’t be allowed to clamp down on their high tech counterparts, the lawyers argue.
I see a bad precedent coming if the court agrees with them, but even more problems if they don't.

For all the rant they got from many of us here on this forum, isn't it Ironic how they were the ones to step up to the plate and actually file a lawsuit?

I'm sure it's to save their business but now is the time for all suppliers to put competition (and their differences) to the side and join forces with Smoking Everywhere in this lawsuit.

United we stand, Divided we fall.

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
This sue job seems like a mixed bag to me.

On one hand, we have the possibility of it making shipment of our precious e-cigs easier to get into the country... on the other hand if they're aligned with cigarettes, they might end up being taxed like cigarettes and tobacco products.

I'm very annoyed that it seems impossible to separate the devices from the liquid.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
This sue job seems like a mixed bag to me.

On one hand, we have the possibility of it making shipment of our precious e-cigs easier to get into the country... on the other hand if they're aligned with cigarettes, they might end up being taxed like cigarettes and tobacco products.

They *will* end up being taxed like tobacco products. This isn't a health & safety thing. It's all about the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread