Status
Not open for further replies.

ccure

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Colombia, South America
I think this worth a new thread here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/campaigning/13151-now-time-act-i-am-serious-updated-28.html

The following e-mail was inadvertantly sent to at least several members of Congress. Looks like the FDA has been planning this for awhile, and next Tuesday could bring very bad news to e-cigarette marketers and users in the US. But the US Senate can still trump the FDA by amending the Waxman/Kennedy legislation to allow e-cigarettes on the market.

From: Zawalick, Heather (CBER) [mailto:Heather.Zawalick@fda.hhs.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:08 PM
To: Zawalick, Heather (CBER)
Subject: [LIKELY_SPAM]FDA Outreach: FDA Takes Enforcement Action on Electronic Smoking Products, Entering Clearance

Subject/Headline: FDA Takes Enforcement Action on Electronic Smoking Products

Planned Release Date: May 5

Driving Event: Compliance action

Rollout Plan: Extensive rollout planned including press conference at HHS, press release, fact sheet, video for upload to YouTube, podcast, consumer article, consumer Q &A, key message points, internal media Q & A, Op-Ed, photos of products for posting on Internet.

Other background, hidden factors: Action involves three largest distributors. One of the distributors has just sued FDA seeking a restraining order to prevent us from holding their product at the border. There is keen interest in this subject. E-cigarette kiosks are all over town, including Montgomery Mall. They're being advertised as a safer alternative to cigarettes. Our concern is that this might introduce nonusers to nicotine use. This is a drug delivery device. The content of the products have not been analyzed by FDA. To be sold, they would have to be approved by the agency.

Spokespersons: Janet Woodcock and Deborah Autor

Heather Zawalick
FDA/OC/Office of Legislation
301-827-0090
Heather.Zawalick@fda.hhs.gov

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
Ruyan has a presence in the US - but they don't actively sell here - so I'm thinking they're out....

My guess for 3rd would be either Janty or Smoke51.

We'll know on the 5th. Smoke 'em if you got 'em has never been so apt.

Our concern is that this might introduce nonusers to nicotine use.

I take this as the most telling statement - this is the beginning of nicotine prohibition.

Rexa

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
New York City
What I am really interested in knowing is, is this going to affect just people RESELLING the products or also the people who are simply buying them for their own personal uses.

The FDA cannot stop people from buying items in China or wherever else for their personal use. It's more of a ban on people trying to aquire mass quantity to resell.

I hate to say this but as a consumer I don't personally feel all that affected by it. I don't need to order a huge box of a lifetime supply of parts and liquids if I can still just order small quantities as needed.

Judging by everything I am reading it does not sound like they are making it illegal to vape. They are just making it illegal for people to sell these products.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I believe the import notice is FDA 66-41. Near the top of that list of confiscated items, you will read that personal delivery of a banned product is illegal. It says there is great misunderstanding about this point, but you in fact cannot order one from China or anywhere else if e-cigs are banned. The restriction is not just for large orders, but for all orders of any size.

Rexa

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
New York City
I believe the import notice is FDA 66-41. Near the top of that list of confiscated items, you will read that personal delivery of a banned product is illegal. It says there is great misunderstanding about this point, but you in fact cannot order one from China or anywhere else if e-cigs are banned. The restriction is not just for large orders, but for all orders of any size.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
I just posted this same thought in another thread, but it's revalant....

If we were to mfg everything for PV's in the states???? We've got battery mods abounding, JC making the juice, all we need are the attys....

Were are the modders? Reverse engineer the darn things, already! Who wouldn't pay more for an atty with better performance made in the USA? If we can't import 'em, let's make 'em here!

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
I have JUST found these, should I order more now? Darn, just darn. Seriously, the only thing I probably need is more juice. Maybe a couple of batteries and a couple of atomizers, but I already have 6 batteries and about 10 atomizers, do you think I need more? I have maybe 50 ml of liquid.

scintar

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Pinellas Park FL
I have JUST found these, should I order more now? Darn, just darn. Seriously, the only thing I probably need is more juice. Maybe a couple of batteries and a couple of atomizers, but I already have 6 batteries and about 10 atomizers, do you think I need more? I have maybe 50 ml of liquid.
You still have time. Don't make no hasty decisions. When you do order, i would order from a supplier locally tho. Customs might get a little tougher.

playerags

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Brussels, Wisconsin
If the FDA makes e-cigs illegal what are they going to take away next? Weed? .......?

Seriously, I know 50 times more people that smoke weed than use PV's.
I am not going to panic. If we want them, we can get them. If they want to label me as a criminal for pv's so be it. I can live with that. It's all just bureaucratic bs.

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
If the FDA makes e-cigs illegal what are they going to take away next? Weed? .......?

Seriously, I know 50 times more people that smoke weed than use PV's.
I am not going to panic. If we want them, we can get them. If they want to label me as a criminal for pv's so be it. I can live with that. It's all just bureaucratic bs.
I'm with you - heck I haven't got to do anything illegal for what.... 13 or so years... its about time! :evil:

fenez

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
N.Y
I just posted this same thought in another thread, but it's revalant....

If we were to mfg everything for PV's in the states???? We've got battery mods abounding, JC making the juice, all we need are the attys....

Were are the modders? Reverse engineer the darn things, already! Who wouldn't pay more for an atty with better performance made in the USA? If we can't import 'em, let's make 'em here!
If they make them illegal I assume it would be also illegal to manufacture them in the U.S

What I am really interested in knowing is, is this going to affect just people RESELLING the products or also the people who are simply buying them for their own personal uses.

The FDA cannot stop people from buying items in China or wherever else for their personal use. It's more of a ban on people trying to aquire mass quantity to resell.

I hate to say this but as a consumer I don't personally feel all that affected by it. I don't need to order a huge box of a lifetime supply of parts and liquids if I can still just order small quantities as needed.

Judging by everything I am reading it does not sound like they are making it illegal to vape. They are just making it illegal for people to sell these products.

I have a shipement currently on Hold since the 11th of April with the FDA/Customs. No word, No action, just a we will be investigating at some point! I have a lot of friends in the business, and I know of one who just had a box of only a couple kits and a few e-liquids get stopped.
The FDA has said all along that they are handling this on a case by case basis. And this is how it should play out. One by one, they will choke the suppliers. One by one, they will jam the businesses. One by one, the prices will rise. One by one, we shall wither and die.

...It is the American way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread