Apr 2, 2009

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Thanks Bill. With respect to flavors which just concluded and I'm paraphrasing the Moderators question:

Should flavors be banned until proven safe for inhalation?

NO ONE on the panel answered this question. They talked around the question which the Moderator repeated after most of the panel had spoken. Still NO direct answer.

Mike's point is valid. The baseline from the back of my napkin as a DIY geek is that their must be at least 1K different flavors from perhaps a dozen manufacturers located all over the world. The majority of which have subtle differences in the final result of your juice "mix". This difference pertains to the single flavor as well as how flavor 1 and flavor 2 interact with each other in the juice mix.

IMHO, not a chance in hell or heaven :) the scientist /cough could ever properly complete a chemical analysis of the universe of falvors, even if given a 100 years. I would expect/guess that some of the bloviaters will try to generate income for the own studies using a "sampling" which IMHO is flawed.

:)

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Sud Patwardhan from Nicoventures (British American Tobacco) is now presenting, and Konstantinos Farslinos is up next.

I've known Sud for 4 years, and he's very supportive of THR and vaping (even though BAT execs want to ban small vapor product competitors).

Peter Shields (who spoke last, and has advocated FDA's proposed deeming regulation) has received millions of dollars from Obama's administration to study/criticize e-cigs)

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I just caught the last 30 minutes or so of today's presentation.

As I tuned in, 'behavioral support' was being talked about. I took that as 'how to encourage vaping vs. backsliding into smoking.' Obvious to many of us is the role ECF plays in behavioral support. This may be particularly important for those of us who have no close vaping acquaintances in the non-virtual realm.

Before this afternoon, I had never thought if the notion of OTC coupled with e-cigarettes.

Does anyone have thoughts to offer on Linc Williams' appearance as a speaker?

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I presented the following testimony during the public comment period of FDA's e-cigarette workshop, where FDA invited more than two dozen DHHS funded FDA deeming regulation proponents, seven tobacco industry scientists, and only several tobacco harm reduction advocates to present about vapor products and public health.
March: A Public Workshop ? Electronic Cigarettes and the Public Health

FDA Electronic Cigarettes and the Public Health: A Public Workshop
March 10, 2015

Testimony by

William T Godshall, MPH
Executive Director
Smokefree Pennsylvania
1926 Monongahela Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15218
412-351-5880
BillGodshall@verizon.net

I’m Bill Godshall, founder and executive director of Smokefree Pennsylvania. Since 1990, we’ve campaigned to reduce cigarette smoking.

In 2007, we convinced Sen. Mike Enzi to amend the Tobacco Control Act to require large graphic warnings on cigarette packs. But the FDA has not “deemed” that Congressionally mandated public health regulation a priority.

In 2009, we urged then FDA Deputy Commissioner Josh Sharfstein to keep e-cigarettes legal. And in 2010 we filed an amicus brief with the DC Court of Appeals in support of NJOY’s litigation challenging FDA’s ban, which was struck down as unlawful.

Since 2011, we’ve opposed the FDA’s proposed “deeming” regulation because it would create a huge black market by banning >99.9% of vapor products now on the market, and because it would create an e-cig cartel controlled by Big Tobacco companies to market inferior and more expensive cigalike e-cigs.

For disclosure, neither Smokefree Pennsylvania nor I have ever received any funding from any tobacco, drug or vapor product company.

The scientific and empirical evidence consistently indicates that nicotine vapor products are 99% (+/-1%) less hazardous than cigarettes, have never been found to be associated with any disease, and pose no known risks to nonusers.

Nicotine vapor products have already replaced >3 Billion packs of cigarettes, and are nearly all consumed by smokers and by exsmokers who switched to vaping.

Two new surveys have found that 3 and 4 million US smokers respectively are no longer regular smokers thanks to vapor products, which are at least as effective for smoking cessation as FDA approved NRT products, which have a 95% failure rate.

There’s no evidence vapor products have ever created daily dependence in any nonsmoker (youth or adult), and there’s no evidence vapor products have served as a gateway to cigarette smoking for any daily smoker (anywhere in the world).

Adult and teen surveys have consistently found that smokers were at least 20 times more likely than nonsmokers to report vaping, while adult and teen smoking rates have declined to new record lows every year since vapor product sales began to skyrocket in 2008.

Public health benefits every time a smoker vapes instead of smoking a cigarette, and vapor products have similar risk/benefit profiles as childhood vaccines, water and sewage treatment, and condoms.

But since 2009, the FDA has made many false and misleading fear mongering claims to confuse, scare and lobby to ban these lifesaving products under the deceitful guise of protecting children and public health. Many FDA funding recipients also have made false and misleading claims to lobby for bans on vapor products and vaping.

Vapers and smokers have a human right to truthful information about, and to legal and affordable access to vapor products.

Consistently, the FDA has an ethical duty to truthfully inform the public, and to ensure that vapor products remain legal and affordable.

The deeming regulation is public health malpractice of the worst kind because it protects cigarettes and threatens the lives of millions of vapers and smokers.

The FDA should rescind its proposed “deeming” regulation, and begin to truthfully tell Americans that vapor products are far less hazardous than cigarettes, and have helped many smokers quit smoking.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The FDA should post the entire webinar on the agency's website in the near future.

The best part of yesterday's/today's FDA sham workshop (just like the best part of December's FDA sham workshop) was the public comment period (which ran from 8AM to around 9AM).

About 30 people were registered to speak during the public comment period, but only 18 actually showed up.

Perhaps the ANTZ are now deploying a strategy to have lots of ANTZ sign up to speak (and then never show up) in order to reduce the amount of time the rest of us are allowed to speak.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
The FDA should post the entire webinar on the agency's website in the near future.

The best part of yesterday's/today's FDA sham workshop (just like the best part of December's FDA sham workshop) was the public comment period (which ran from 8AM to around 9AM).

About 30 people were registered to speak during the public comment period, but only 18 actually showed up.

Perhaps the ANTZ are now deploying a strategy to have lots of ANTZ sign up to speak (and then never show up) in order to reduce the amount of time the rest of us are allowed to speak.

ANTZ strategy - kind of like how the White House runs things - underhanded, and self serving, and never gives an opponent an even deck to play with.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread