The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Fear-mongering in Milwaukee - 8 hospitalized

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by CarolT, Jul 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. CarolT

CarolT Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    Hysterical headlines blame vaping, and the usual suspects seize the opportunity to nurture unfounded fears about nicotine, even though it comes out in the article that another substance was involved. And the fact that this appears to be a localized outbreak points to a bad batch of something on the street.

Eight Milwaukee-area teens hospitalized with severe lung damage that may have been caused by vaping

Update - now there are six more.

Health officials investigating six more reports of possible vape-related lung injuries

At least there is more mention of adulteration. "Given that people have been vaping the base oils, nicotine and the other ingredients in e-liquids for several years and clusters of illnesses have not surfaced before now, Gronski said he speculated some products were tainted."

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Unbelievable.

Is there Nothing that these people won't Throw Under the Vaping Bus?

Don't expect much, but maybe the Author's can explain the Motivation behind this Hit Piece.

raquel.rutledge@jrn.com

mary.spicuzza@jrn.com

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Yeah there’s a whole lot wrong with assuming vaping. For one it’s a localized cluster. Vaping is international. For another not all the people with the problems report having vapes at all. Basically everything says “this is not vaping” but it’s being screamed out anyway.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mordacai

Mordacai Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @CarolT and @zoiDman, I noticed a mention of shady street cartridges in that piece only the once.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. HigherStateD

HigherStateD Ultra Member ECF Veteran

...... madness

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. tailland

tailland Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    Right now I remember someone on the forum asking about, was it, "juul compatible pods" by an unknown manufacturer and the safety thereof.. somewhere around a week ago or two?

What I do remember was a regular visitor in that thread, saying that all the other people in that thread who warned against the consumption of liquids of unknown provinence, were a bit too paranoid, and that OP should try the pods and decide for himself if the quality was good enough, or not...

Maybe it's time to revisit that recommendation.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Was the Article that the OP Posted a case of some people Vaping some Tainted e-Liquids?

Or a case of some individuals Inhaling a Bad Batch of Tango Hotel Charlie?

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. m1ke

m1ke Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. iVapeDIY

iVapeDIY Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Yup! Lots of keywords there:
    1. "Oil" - Big 'no no' in vaping. We take for granted that everyone knows about this.
    2. "(other stuff)" - Aside from holding one's breath to get maximum hit, the proportion of (other stuff) to (other stuff) could have been off the charts. Moreover, all kinds of contaminants and impurities were probably introduce in the extraction of the (other stuff) oil.
    3. "cartridge" - Likely recycled (used by tons of street users) and in a severely deteriorated condition; again, swimming in contaminants.
    4. "black market" - nuff said

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. stols001

stols001 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2017
    BTW anyone thinking this is adulterated with "good stuff" or some other "more expensive" drug, that NEVER happens. Adulterants are usually cheap, horrible things like rat poison etc.

It was bound to happen at some point but it's depressing.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. m1ke

m1ke Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    I thought of this. What an article like this is parallel to is if a person gets a hot dose of ...... off the streets and the act of injecting it is framed to be the bad thing, so.. outlaw injections? You see what I mean?

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. WorksForMe

WorksForMe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 21, 2012
    N.N., Virginia
    The problem is that nobody knows how to eliminate "a hot dose of ...... off the streets", so it's easier to outlaw syringes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    But here's the Deal...

How well does the Title of this "News Story" reflect the Actual Context inside? And at what point is a Title so Blatantly Misleading, that there can be little chance that it was not By Design?

Today's News Media seems to play More and More on the Audience that Doesn't Read the "News Story". Only the Title.

What do you think the Take-a-Way is from someone who Only Read the Title?

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  14. classwife

classwife Admin Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Reminder...
    Certain topics are not to be mentioned on ECF.
    Do NOT evade the Forum's Censors to mention them.
    You can use the :censored: icon or use (other stuff) - people know what you are talking about from the articles.
    Thankyoumucjes !

My Mom gave me back her vaping gear I bought her.
    She says it's dangerous and she is better off smoking cigarettes.

This :censored: pisses me off royally.
    Even after me vaping and discussing it for almost 10 years...she still believes the crap she hears on TV.

Congratulations :censored: wipes...you kept another cigarette smoker smoking cigarettes.
    Hope you're really proud of yourselves.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Sorry CW.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HigherStateD

HigherStateD Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Black market carts of this variety, that have nothing to do with e-liquid, are referred to in those circles as "hot dog water" for a reason.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. iVapeDIY

iVapeDIY Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    News media and web sites want eyeballs/ hits; the more sensational, the better for them.

Since I am invested (active vaper) I needed to dig further to see if my vaping assumptions required serious challenging. Since evidence suggests the cause was 'street vapes' containing :censored: oils mixed with intentional or unintentional toxic adulterates, I'm good (for now) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. stols001

stols001 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2017
    Uh, YOU might be good with it, but it's not YOUR opinion that matters.

That would be the non vapers and the government is like, rubbing its hands together in delight.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. ErnieKim

ErnieKim Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2014
    venice florida
    I used vaping and subtle reduction of nicotine to quit tobacco after over 40 years of use. Where are the stats for my experience? Bet it’s more than 8.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. ErnieKim

ErnieKim Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2014
    venice florida
    Here’s the headline:
    “Tens of Thousands, Around the World, Finally Quit Tobacco Using Vaping”
    Kim

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status: