Fear-mongering in Milwaukee - 8 hospitalized

Status
Not open for further replies.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    My Mom gave me back her vaping gear I bought her... Congratulations :censored: wipes...you kept another cigarette smoker smoking cigarettes.
    Hope you're really proud of yourselves.
    I'm sorry to hear about that too, @classwife. I hope she gets back on our wagon.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    Update:
    That "Louella Amos, a pediatric pulmonologist at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin," is a certified loony vape hater. She was on a local talk radio program this morning, when the regular host was off and his producer filled in instead. He's also a brainwashed vape hater, and the subject of other substances was glossed over in favor of FUD about potential long term effects. The fact that this hasn't been happening nationwide never came up. All but one of the victims has been released from the hospital now.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    Yup! Lots of keywords there:
    1. "Oil" - Big 'no no' in vaping. We take for granted that everyone knows about this.
    2. "(other stuff)" - Aside from holding one's breath to get maximum hit, the proportion of (other stuff) to (other stuff) could have been off the charts. Moreover, all kinds of contaminants and impurities were probably introduce in the extraction of the (other stuff) oil.
    3. "cartridge" - Likely recycled (used by tons of street users) and in a severely deteriorated condition; again, swimming in contaminants.
    4. "black market" - nuff said

1. The substance is an oil, and it's likely not true vaping. This stuff is safe for inhalation. There is never any PG/VG in it, as it won't mix with that - nor the flavoring that we use. It needs a special flavoring.

2. It wouldn't matter the level of actives, that simply would not happen.. Except with a possible tainted batch.

3. NOOOO! They are never recycled. Period! :rolleyes:

4. Pretty much ***ALL*** of the stuff going around comes from LEGAL states!

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    • Deleted by Unforeseen
    • Reason: Posting Against Forum Rules

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
    Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    ... And Yes, I AM from THE exact area! And yes, I DO most definitely vape the other stuff -- extremely frequently, I might add. :)
    AND.. I'm just still coming out from a strange case of Pneumonia.

Lipoid Pneumonia
    Lipoid Pneumonia: Symptoms, Causes, Risks, and Treatment

Other fatty substances that can cause exogenous lipoid pneumonia include:
    • oils present in foods, including olive oil, milk, poppyseed oil, and egg yolks
    • oil-based medication and nasal drops
    • oil-based laxatives, including cod liver oil and paraffin oil
    • petroleum jelly
    • kerdan, a type of petroleum used by performers who “eat” fire
    • oils used at home or in the workplace, including WD-40, paints, and lubricants
    • oil-based substances found in e-cigarettes

Btw, :censored: extracts suitable for vaping are processed in a very specific manner devoid of 'oils'; we have them commercially available all over Canada. Good luck.

Last edited:

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    • Deleted by Unforeseen

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
    Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    • Deleted by Unforeseen

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    • Deleted by Unforeseen

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    I'd disagree on the not true vaping bit. As one who also regularly Vapes alternatives, and sampled almost every method, I can say with some certainty, that unless you crank an alternative cart past 5v, it's definitely vape, not smoke.

Also, the national brand moxie regularly uses additional flavorings such as their root bear float. I'm currently helping a mother of an autistic child clone the flavor for placebo trials.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    I'd disagree on the not true vaping bit. As one who also regularly Vapes alternatives, and sampled almost every method, I can say with some certainty, that unless you crank an alternative cart past 5v, it's definitely vape, not smoke.

Ah, thanks! That's been bugging me since I discovered them about 8 months ago! :confused:

And it would make sense as well, since there's simply nothing smokey-tasting to them at all.. And according to my Koopor Mini set to 3 Watts (+/- 0.3) normally, it's showing 2.57v at 2.2ohms.

And I forget if it was mentioned in this thread, or the deeming one... About someone trying and coughing their brains out with these. And yes, one absolutely MUST respect these carts! And not just from a coughing perspective either. They can be between 60-80% (or more?) actives, as well. So please tread VERY lightly if you're not experienced with them, people!! I personally think anything over 5 Watts is sheer madman territory to me, at this point -- which my Koopor Mini is showing as only 3.3v, when set to 5W (@2.2ohms). ....... And one will want a mod (or DNA Theme) that goes down below 3 watts, and goes in 0.1 watt increments.
    And as always, please be careful and don't drive - if anyone is going to choose to do this.

EDIT: And I'm sincerely saying all this, in the hopes that I can help keep people safe(r) - especially when I hear of possible relatively unsafe usage from the inexperienced. These things are a bit more the equivalent of whiskey or vodka when used at higher wattages. (But remember there's still always the same ceiling, no matter what form or strength.)

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Ah, thanks! That's been bugging me since I discovered them about 8 months ago! :confused:

And it would make sense as well, since there's simply nothing smokey-tasting to them at all.. And according to my Koopor Mini set to 3 Watts, it's showing 2.57v at 2.2ohms.

And I forget if it was mentioned in this thread, or the deeming one... About someone coughing with these. And yes, you absolutely MUST respect these carts! And not just from a coughing perspective either. They can be between 60-80% actives, as well. So please tread VERY lightly if you're not experienced with them, people!! I personally think anything over 5 Watts is sheer madman territory to me, at this point -- which my Koopor Mini is showing as only 3.3v, when set to 5W. ..... And you will want a mod (or DNA Theme) that goes down below 3 watts, and goes in 0.1 watt increments. And please be careful, and don't drive.
    As a chronic (pardon the pun) pain patient, I'd disagree. Once properly broken in, well, we should refrain. This isn't appropriate.

Reactions: Hoggy

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    As a chronic (pardon the pun) pain patient, I'd disagree. Once properly broken in, well, we should refrain. This isn't appropriate.

Chronic pain here as well. And my condition also comes with a sprinkling of nausea, to boot. Yay, me! :w00t: But over 3.3watts gets into scratchy/coughy territory for my particular set of lungs.

Although, I'll say, during my recent 3-week pneumonia stint, I've come to the realization that I really am sick of inhaling crap all the time. :D So since not much nicotine is absorbed in the lungs anyways, I figured I won't really bother inhaling much or deeply or often anymore. I'm vaping nicotine literally for it's help with disabling cognitive & memory problems (plus helps with depression). And I'm flavoring for the flavors, obviously, and the fun hobby.

Although aside from settings and all that being too OT, I'm worried since I fall right into this article's wheelhouse. No matter what though, it would obviously just be some batch of something that got tainted, either accidentally or purposefully. And of course it's no doubt the article was slanted more against nic vaping.

• Optimistic

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Chronic pain here as well. And my condition also comes with a sprinkling of nausea, to boot. Yay, me! :w00t: But over 3.3watts gets into scratchy/coughy territory for my particular set of lungs.

Although, I'll say, during my recent 3-week pneumonia stint, I've come to the realization that I really am sick of inhaling crap all the time. :D So since not much nicotine is absorbed in the lungs anyways, I figured I won't really bother inhaling much or deeply or often anymore. I'm vaping nicotine literally for it's help with disabling cognitive & memory problems (plus helps with depression). And I'm flavoring for the flavors, obviously, and the fun hobby.

Although aside from settings and all that being too OT, I'm worried since I fall right into this article's wheelhouse. No matter what though, it would obviously just be some batch of something that got tainted, either accidentally or purposefully. And of course it's no doubt the article was slanted more against nic vaping.
    I am a professional inhaler. I have been doing so in almost every form I could think of in my misguided youth. I see little point to inhaling e-liquid, as you do. My lungs, espicallt now, after 6 months smoke free, thanks greatly to this forum, are in quite excellent shape, and getting better still. It really is a shame I cannot discuss the cross-platform, so to speak, concerns I had regarding my switch, and such news articles are definitely more difficult to discuss, but there are certain directions that conversation should remain well clear from.
    These children, who obviously shouldn't be allowed any where near a Tide pod, much less a vape pod, should be better supervised. It's a shame when people acquiesced their parental obligation to the nanny state, resulting in the infantilization of the populace.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    I am a professional inhaler. I have been doing so in almost every form I could think of in my misguided youth. I see little point to inhaling e-liquid, as you do. My lungs, espicallt now, after 6 months smoke free, thanks greatly to this forum, are in quite excellent shape, and getting better still.

Are you serious -- you were a professional inhaler that, I assume inhaled your cigarettes, but never inhaled your nic vape? <scratches head> :blink:

But congrats on staying off the stinkies (more like putrids) for 6 months!

Ugh! And I shouldn't even get myself started on the stench! :rolleyes: I'm currently battling neighbors' constant putrefying stench getting INTO my apartment and reeking 100% of the time. I'm sorry, but just like I would be evicted quicker than I could open my mouth to ask "why" - if my dog's odor was constantly getting INTO other people's apartments! So too should smokers have to control their own pet cigarette odors IF it's getting into other peoples' apartments constantly. We should also be provided with air-tight vent covers for the exhaust vents, so smokers could prevent escaping smoke, and non-putrefying-stench lovers can prevent ingress.

Mind you, I have NO PROBLEM with smelling it as I walk past their apartment, or smell it as I walk past outside - cause I don't have to keep smelling it or breathing it if I so choose not to. But when it's constantly coming INTO my apartment, THAT is where I'm starting to draw my proverbial line in the sand! Even when I'm well, I shouldn't have to smell that crap all the time in my own apartment -- especially since I worked so hard to get rid of it.

(Anyway, sorry for getting ranty and OT here. OTOH, it kind of seems to be the norm lately. Whether or not that's just because of me though, I dunno..?? :lol: )

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Are you serious -- you were a professional inhaler that, I assume inhaled your cigarettes, but never inhaled your nic vape? <scratches head> :blink:

But congrats on staying off the stinkies (more like putrids) for 6 months!

Ugh! And I shouldn't even get myself started on the stench! :rolleyes: I'm currently battling neighbors' constant putrefying stench getting INTO my apartment and reeking 100% of the time. I'm sorry, but just like I would be evicted quicker than I could open my mouth to ask "why" - if my dog's odor was constantly getting INTO other people's apartments! So too should smokers have to control their own pet cigarette odors IF it's getting into other peoples' apartments constantly. We should also be provided with air-tight vent covers for the exhaust vents, so smokers could prevent escaping smoke, and non-putrefying-stench lovers can prevent ingress.

Mind you, I have NO PROBLEM with smelling it as I walk past their apartment, or smell it as I walk past outside - cause I don't have to keep smelling it or breathing it if I so choose not to. But when it's constantly coming INTO my apartment, THAT is where I'm starting to draw my proverbial line in the sand! Even when I'm well, I shouldn't have to smell that crap all the time in my own apartment -- especially since I worked so hard to get rid of it.

(Anyway, sorry for getting ranty and OT here. OTOH, it kind of seems to be the norm lately. Whether or not that's just because of me though, I dunno..?? :lol: )
    I never said never. I just said I've learned better. And ones occupation can indeed involve almost constant inhalation, but that again is not important or relevant to the discussion at hand.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    The fine gentlemen of my family have probably inhaled that stuff any way possible, including the cartridges.

I have to think that dry herb vaporizers (not sure about the cartridges) have got to be better than straight combustion, I mean tar is tar, after all.

I doubt that a lot of companies would GO out of their way to make cartridges designed to kill your lungs. I also don't know how well that stuff is regulated but I know it *is* to an extent.

IDK.

My favored form of the lovely herb inhalation is like the combo method. Tobacco, and stuff. It's also probably the WOSRST for your lungs to be honest. It's like, combining the two drives it deeper into your lungs somehow. Then, you have to smoke the mandatory "after" cigarette because that is what you have to do.

Well, that is what *I * had to do.

Off the herb. Fairly sure it's better for my lungs overall.

Anna

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    The fine gentlemen of my family have probably inhaled that stuff any way possible, including the cartridges.

I have to think that dry herb vaporizers (not sure about the cartridges) have got to be better than straight combustion, I mean tar is tar, after all.

I doubt that a lot of companies would GO out of their way to make cartridges designed to kill your lungs. I also don't know how well that stuff is regulated but I know it *is* to an extent.

IDK.

My favored form of the lovely herb inhalation is like the combo method. Tobacco, and stuff. It's also probably the WOSRST for your lungs to be honest. It's like, combining the two drives it deeper into your lungs somehow. Then, you have to smoke the mandatory "after" cigarette because that is what you have to do.

Off the herb. Fairly sure it's better for my lungs overall.

Anna
    That "after" cigarette was one of MY biggest hurdles in making the switch to vaping nicotine. Turns out, that desire is generated by tobacco smoke inhalation. Once the tar and phlegm is purged, it only becomes an issue when vaping at too high of a wattage... Say, 800-1300w+

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA

Oh absolutely, they are - but still can be a bit harsh on the throat (though seems to help with nausea more than the carts, I find). And VASTLY improved taste! There is no comparison at all! Just like nic vaping vs. cigarettes -- NO comparison on improved taste and smell, all around. I used to think the 1st smoked puff of good stuff tasted best. Now it literally tastes like a 3-week old cigarette .... restarted from the putrid ashtray -- and I mean that, it tastes NOOO different to me anymore than an actual cigarette, not even a HINT of pleasantness to me. Not ONE hint. ...... Could've blown me down with a feather lemme tell ya, every single time I've tried to find something good tasting in that 1st puff from others' antiquated nasty non-vaping-methods, but NOPE - nothin' good at all to me in there anymore.

Completely agree with the 1st. And also have no idea about the second part, myself. But I think they themselves may need to be cleaned up a bit as an emerging industry when it comes to pesticides. EXACTLY like tea, I've heard from other way more knowledgeable stuff-a-holics than myself, that they are many times grown by small growing outfits and they then in turn sell their product into a bigger 'collective' for production into carts and whatnot from there.

Aside from the combo method part, that is what I always had to do too - have, especially (in my case), a menthol cigarette afterwards. But that is NOWadays, thoroughly and satisfyingly replaced with a scrumptious banana pudding vape ATM, for the duration of my current 55ml DIY bottle. And I'll take that ANY day of the week over nasty putrid combustion! :banana:

But as far as the combo method to me would sound, NOWADAYS? Jusy NO. Uh uh. Ewww. Completely.. Just.. EWWWW! No way! Yuck! Hell no! Puke! Nasty. Get out of here. Shoo with that putridness. :eek: ..... Can I make myself any clearer, here? :-x

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: HigherStateD

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    The floor would also NOT get mopped is the thing.

Yep, I'll admit.. 'Tis a balancing act for me, for sure. Well, with extreme fatigue ALSO just so happening to be a major hallmark of my disability. :facepalm: :blush:
    But OTOH, you'd be shocked at how little of a difference there really is.

Even still, having just gotten back into it this past Dec/Jan (and further realizing and cementing it's medical benefits) - and having my back disability benefits... I'm still sorta in the 'Scarface' with a pile of :censored: stage for the time being. :D

Ehh, but my pocketbook says I ought to start living within my means really soon - as it's still currently a bit expensive ATM. So I should start heading to more strict medical soon.

Last edited:
    • Optimistic

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    Sounds like this is Becoming one of those Threads that gets Closed.

Well, agree it's getting a bit quite OT. And I really do apologize for my part here, everybody. And agree, we really should stop.

But this subject (albeit more generally, of course) really IS in the subject within the articles posted in the OP. And I hope the news finders keep us posted as to new developments, as I could be EXTREMELY involved here, for all I know.

But since I could be possibly connected to the statistics here, I'm wondering about all avenues.

Sure hoping it's just some new stupid Tide-Pod Like craze from the kiddies, though.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread