Fear-mongering in Milwaukee - 8 hospitalized

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No, it's some dirty looking man with black fingernails like taking the contents of two pods and transferring it into FOUR pods, and then adding whatever cheap liquid that is of the right color and may sort of vaporize and then selling them to the teens.

I'm shocked at how few of you know how the black market like, WORKS.

Oh well, I guess I've worked and labored among families and teens who are dealing with the worst of the worst. Not to mention having been one.

Anna

How many of you have just drank/inhaled etc. something someone handed you, like without checking its provenance (raises hand a million times.)

I totally have a strong constitution I guess. Something.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Sounds like this is Becoming one of those Threads that gets Closed.
Like it or not, the topic of : censored:

vape cartridges are the topic.
The general public sees a vape carto. They don't see the difference what the origami purchaser was intending to use it for, they just see a 510 cart. Ignoring the ignorance leads to further ignorance.
We can hope the problem goes away, or address it head on.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Like it or not, the topic of : censored:

Vape cartridges are the topic.
The general public sees a vape carto. They don't see the difference what the origami purchaser was intending to use it for, they just see a 510 cart. Ignoring the ignorance leads to further ignorance.
We can hope the problem goes away, or address it head on.

It Isn't a Matter of Addressing Things Head On. It's a Matter of a Time and (in the Case of the ECF) a Place.

Threads Don't get Closed if the People Posting are making some Contribution to the Thread. Even if they are Walking on a Knife Edge about what we Can and Can Not Talk About.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
specially (in my case), a menthol cigarette afterwards.
keira+knightley114007466.jpg

Reactions: WorksForMe

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
It Isn't a Matter of Addressing Things Head On. It's a Matter of a Time and .............. a Place.

Yeah, I 100% agree with your sentiment, @HigherStateD , ALL THE WAY! TRUST ME! :thumb: But talk relating to our stuff, in this particular thread, I think should be limited to how it directly relates to the OP.

But absolutely EVERYBODY can get carried away at times with small talk and off-topic'ness, and general aloofness - we're human, after all. And especially us, with our extraordinary passion for wanting to inject reason into a subject where little reasoning exists... We can get carried away, as I did myself. :)

Now, I gotta get back to my woman that Rossum just posted a pic of. Time's a wastin'! :evil:

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I read the original news story a few days ago and immediately thought "They are totally going to make this about vaping (standard) e liquids, even though it was obvious the teens were vaping something else" Who knows what may have been in that mix! Stories this this really hurt the vaping movement, and 9 out of 10 people will say "well, there it is... vaping is bad and dangerous" As was mentioned, half of those just read the headline title. Sad day...

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Have you heard any reports similar to this, there? ...If you follow news (news is way too depressing all the time, so I don't regularly).
(Let's just say I'm concerned.)
I haven't heard of anything like this anywhere. That's what makes it suspicious that something else was involved. They've lowered the number of suspected cases to 11 now, down from 14.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
(WKOW) — A Wisconsin clinic is putting $20,000 towards e-cigarette education and prevention.

The Marshfield Clinic is giving schools and health departments money for vaping education programs.

It’s estimated that one our of every five Wisconsin high school students use e-cigarettes.

Eleven teens and young adults were hospitalized recently with lung damage linked to vaping.

And I don’t think people realize that these are basically the same as cigarettes and they do the same damage,” said Jacqueline Sii, FACT Student President at Lincoln High School.

Almost 40 groups from Superior to Eau Claire to Lincoln High School in Wisconsin Rapids will be getting money as part of this effort.
Marshfield clinic backing vaping education programs

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

And I don’t think people realize that these are basically the same as cigarettes and they do the same damage,” said Jacqueline Sii, FACT Student President at Lincoln High School.

It's a Sad Testimonial when people put the Same Weight (or even More!) on a statement made by a Student Body President of a High School than they do from someone like the Royal College of Physicians. Or the UK Health.

And some would Question the Level of Journalistic Integrity of a Media Outlet to print such Unsubstantiated Statements from someone with No Scientific or Medical Degrees.

:facepalm:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It's a Sad Testimonial when people put the Same Weight (or even More!) on a statement made by a Student Body President of a High School than they do from someone like the Royal College of Physicians. Or the UK Health.

And some would Question the Level of Journalistic Integrity of a Media Outlet to print such Unsubstantiated Statements from someone with No Scientific or Medical Degrees.

:facepalm:

BTW - Here IS someone who holds a Degree in Medicine. And here is what they have to say...

E-cigarettes contain nicotine but do not burn tobacco, which is responsible for many of the health problems associated with smoking combustible cigarettes. “For a smoker, e-cigarettes are less harmful to their health than continuing to smoke cigarettes,” said Rigotti, who is also a professor of medicine at HMS [Harvard Medical School]. “But e-cigarettes have become popular so quickly that many questions remain about how they can best be used to help smokers to quit and minimize any harm.” The third member of this MGH research team was Yuchiao Chang.

Daily e-cigarette use may help smokers quit regular cigarettes

CarolT

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI

CarolT

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    Illinois is trying to get in on the hysteria.

Six hospitalized in Illinois with vaping-related breathing problems
    Sun-Times Media Wire
    Saturday, August 10, 2019 4:08PMSPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- At least six young people have been hospitalized recently in Illinois after experiencing severe breathing problems possibly related to vaping, health officials say.

The young people experienced symptoms including chest pains, shortness of breath, fatigue, vomiting and ........ after vaping in the days and weeks leading up to their hospitalization, the Illinois Department of Public Health announced Friday.

"IDPH is working with local health departments and hospitals to investigate reported cases of hospitalized individuals with unexplained respiratory illness and a history of vaping," IDPH Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike said. "The short- and long-term effects of vaping are still being researched, but these recent hospitalizations have shown that there is the potential for immediate health consequences."

IDPH said they have been unable to identify the exact chemicals leading to these symptoms, as it was not immediately clear which vaping products the young people were using or where they were obtained.

The majority of cases were reported in northeast Illinois, with a few identified in the St. Louis-area...

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Illinois is trying to get in on the hysteria.

..possibly related to vaping..

(bolding added by me)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Recently a few of my FFB (freakin' facebook) friends (most of whom who smoke) have felt it necessary and helpful to point out to me these main stream media BS stories. I tried to be polite and educationing when they warned me about formaldehyde and anti-freeze things. The seizure thing has me po'ed to no end. I think I made clear to them my standing on that issue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread