Feeling guilty before and after

Feeling guilty about smoking and/or vaping? How does it compare?

• I felt very guilty when I smoked, and feel very guilty now for vaping

• I felt very guilty when I smoked, and feel somewhat guilty now for vaping

• I felt very guilty when I smoked, and feel not guilty now for vaping

• I felt somewhat guilty when I smoked, and feel very guilty now for vaping

• I felt somewhat guilty when I smoked, and feel somewhat guilty now for vaping

• I felt somewhat guilty when I smoked, and feel not guilty now for vaping

• I felt not guilty when I smoked, and feel very guilty now for vaping

• I felt not guilty when I smoked, and feel somewhat guilty now for vaping

• I felt not guilty when I smoked, and feel not guilty now for vaping

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
This is just a quick one to test a hypothesis of mine.

Said hypothesis is that vapers feel a lot less guilty about vaping than they did about smoking. (BTW, I also think the same is true for people who switch to smokeless tobacco.) A person or group that feels permanently guilty is of course a perfect victim – for rabid anti-smokers, for example. Or any other bully, for that matter. Which means, if we feel less guilty, we are less perfect victims. Which would explain some of the anti-vaping (and anti-smokeless) hysteria in certain quarters.
Naturally, if I am wrong about the guilt part, the rest does not stand up to scrutiny, either. Therefore, this poll.

Please: Only vote in this poll when you have vaped for at least a month. I would prefer to keep that first-days-enthusiasm out of it, just as I would like to give people time to get used to be vapers instead of smokers. I do not ask people who still have an occasional analog not to vote, because of the whole WTA/X-Factor/MAOIs question; I did have to start to supplement with snus myself, after all. However, you should identify as a vaper now, instead of a smoker.

Last edited:

Arvidx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2009
Tucson, Arizona, United States
So the guilt thing is close enough to how I felt about smoking. My health had definitely taken a toll from years of hand rolled cigarettes. I felt like every year, especially during season changes and cold season, I was taking another stride towards my early grave. I was ready to quit but had no desire to stop the actual habit as far as all of the distracting and nurturing qualities that came along with the action of smoking... Now I get all the same rewards sans killing my lungs. I love playing with the vapor, love taking that moment of self reflection allowed by a cigarette, love having something to occupy me between all the things during the day. Like I said I was ready for an alternative and it took one day to truly switch from being a smoker to a vaper. I have smoked cigs since, with other people in specific circumstances, but have had no urge to buy or smoke any outside of those and in total maybe 2 packs in 3 months since the day my 510 arrived most of which were in a couple days with a poisonous ex. :O Vaping... if anything makes me virtually proud. I love it and share my story with people almost every time I am in public.

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Yes, guilt is a pointless emotion. However, that hasn't stopped me from feeling a little guilty when I tell folks that I am an ex-smoker, then they see me with a pv in my mouth. With what they think is smoke coming out. And yes, I explain the pv to them. But I still sometimes see facial expressions on them that come close to eye-rolling. For the most part, most of them seem genuinely interested in how it works, but when they hear that my body is still receiving nicotine, then here come the looks, as if "yeah, okay, whatever you say.."
So that attitude gets to me a little. A little. Not enough to stop vapeing. I love it, and at least I know I'm much better off, even if they don't quite buy it.

MaryMarcelle

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
My reply "felt very guilty when I smoked, and feel not guilty now for vaping"

I see a few people didn't feel guilty about smoking! I'm surprised... for 22 years my friends/family (and it was especially hard when my now 15yr old begged me for 12 years to quit!) and even the surgeon general's warning on EVERY pack of cigs I smoked...wracked me with guilt! In fact I think it was GUILT moreso than anything else that made me consciously make the decision to quit smoking...which led me to vaping!

P.S. to OP...Although my quitbanner says I've only been smoke free for 24 days which wouldn't qualify me for poll according to your rules/request...I have been vaping for 1 month and three days...just didn't completely quit analog when I first got my PV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread