fibromyalgic members

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle

Feb 14, 2009
did you find that smoking analogs help with your fibro pain symptons? if any of you have totally quit tobacco, did did your fibro pain become more unbearable and harder to manage? what level of nic cartridges do you use? a friend [in her mid 50's] has fibro and gets to where she can bearly walk and works yet. it is very hard for her to work and i am wondering if anyone with fibro was able to get disablity due to it? [pm me with any process so i can let her know]. as she has aged, it gets worse. she managed a motel and worked two other jobs in her 40's and did't move like she was in her 90's at that time.has anyone tried any kind of herbal remedies that help with the pain? i heared where someone esed 2 tablespoons each of honey and apple cider vinager, a friend tried that and her belly burned. had another friend that has tried to quit smoking about 10 times [longest being a year] and each time had lots of pain and went back to analogs to help with pain issues. they have never tried the e-cig and i gave them info on it if they decide to try an alternative to tobacco cig. thanks

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
Hi Turtle. I don't know if I can truly judge the issue since I started the ecig and quit smoking in winter - my worst time of year. I can't say I've noticed a dramatic difference

I do have another friend with fibro who quit smoking and doesn't use any other nicotine or the e-cig. She also started taking fish oil supplements and she swears by it as making her feel a ton better.

Steph2323

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montgomery County Pa
did you find that smoking analogs help with your fibro pain symptons? if any of you have totally quit tobacco, did did your fibro pain become more unbearable and harder to manage? what level of nic cartridges do you use? a friend [in her mid 50's] has fibro and gets to where she can bearly walk and works yet. it is very hard for her to work and i am wondering if anyone with fibro was able to get disablity due to it? [pm me with any process so i can let her know]. as she has aged, it gets worse. she managed a motel and worked two other jobs in her 40's and did't move like she was in her 90's at that time.has anyone tried any kind of herbal remedies that help with the pain? i heared where someone esed 2 tablespoons each of honey and apple cider vinager, a friend tried that and her belly burned. had another friend that has tried to quit smoking about 10 times [longest being a year] and each time had lots of pain and went back to analogs to help with pain issues. they have never tried the e-cig and i gave them info on it if they decide to try an alternative to tobacco cig. thanks

I have chronic back and nerve pain, not fibro, but have not noticed any difference in pain levels since switching to ecigs. I think they are a great alternative for everyone.
Lots of info on fibro at BrainTalk Community, so you may want to check it out.
Stephanie
P.S. I use high carts and 18 to 24 mg of juice

Last edited:

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
I Have Fibromyalgia. Stop Smoking & Start Vaping You Will Fell Better! I Do and Here are Some Facts.

Impact of tobacco use in patients presenting to a multidisciplinary
outpatient treatment program for fibromyalgia.

Clin J Pain. 2009 Jan;25(1):39-43.

Weingarten TN, Podduturu VR, Hooten WM, Thompson JM, Luedtke CA, Oh TH.

Departments of Anesthesiology and Physical Medicine and
Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN, USA.
<weingarten.toby_at_mayo.edu>

PMID: 19158544

OBJECTIVES: This study examined the relationship between the severity
of fibromyalgia symptoms and current tobacco use in patients
evaluated at a specialized fibromyalgia treatment program.

METHODS: Demographic and clinical data from 984 consecutive patients
evaluated at the Mayo Clinic Fibromyalgia Treatment Program including
the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ) were prospectively
collected and stored in an electronic medical record and an
electronic database. Univariate analyses were performed comparing
tobacco users and nonusers. A post-hoc analysis of covariance was
conducted for tobacco use, using group differences of confounding
clinical and demographic variables. A P value < or = 0.05 was
accepted as the level of significance.

RESULTS: One hundred and forty-five patients were identified as
tobacco users (14.7%). Tobacco use was associated with greater pain
intensity as measured by pain scales and the pain component of the
FIQ. Tobacco users had a greater FIQ composite score 70.0(15.1)
versus 61.8(16.8), P<0.001. By univariate analysis, tobacco users had
higher scores on all the FIQ components and fewer good days and more
days of work missed per week. Tobacco use was associated with several
confounding clinical and demographic variables including lower
education, higher unemployment, not being married or widowed, and
history of abuse. After adjusting for these confounding variables,
tobacco users continued to have greater pain intensity, a higher
total and component FIQ scores except for fatigue. Smoking was not
associated with a higher number of tender points.

DISCUSSION: Current tobacco use was associated with more severe
fibromyalgia symptoms in patients presenting to a specialized
fibromyalgia treatment program."

STOP SMOKING! START VAPING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread