• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Fight it or keep it quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timtam

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
Australia
I have been thinking about this for a while. Do we actually want to fight to get e-cigs well known in Australia, or should we keep them on the down-low so that we don't risk having our shipments confiscated by customs?

How it is now is I have no problems whatsoever with customs. If we get e-cigs out there, do we risk having the laws changed that prohibits import completely? Is this a risk we are wanting to take?

I would like peoples' thoughts on this.

VapingNoob

Feb 11, 2010
Australia
In an ideal world, buy as much juice as you can to last the extent of the fight.

At the moment though I'd probably go for the 'keep quiet' about it tactic. Wait and see what developments occur in other countries, positive or negative, seems to be moving toward the positive in America thanks to Arnie's veto.

I believe any positive development in the progression of this product as a smoking 'alternative' will take awhile, as they're currently seen buy our government as being advertised as medicinal or cessation devices, or 'cool' and available to children and hip young non-smokers.

Last edited:

Guessologist

Feb 7, 2010
Australia
I think keeping it on the DL for the minute is the way to go. We need to let some other countries set some precedents first, particularly the UK in my opinion. Our country seems to be pretty good at following in the lead of other countries (case in point: aimless wars that we have no business in), and I can't say I trust our pollies to make any kind of decision for themselves. If the UK/USA end up taking the wrong path with PV's, which influences legislation here, I don't think I'll be too angry since it is likely that we would have been boned anyway if it were up to our folks to make the call.

I am thinking keep it quiet for now, but i foresee a fight in the future, yes I think it does depend a lot on what USA and UK do, but I am hoping against hope that it will get passed here OK, although it will mean a massive rice cost probably. I also think if by some mirical it does get to be 100% legal here imports will be banned thus stopping us from saving money, we would probably have to apply through Dr's to get the Juice, at levels they decide.

yes8s

Feb 28, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I say keep in on the DL for as long as possible.

My thoughts:

Tobacco companies will want these banned and push hard to find (read: create) issues with them.

Government will be loosing a huge revenue stream by the way of tax from the sale of tobacco products. They don't care about health they just want money.

One idiot will stuff it up by doing something stupid like inhaling some posionous substance using an e-cig and die from it. Then the media and the stupid groups will put pressure on the authorites to ban these completely - This point is always the case with new such things.

I'm sorry to say but all points lead to bad as soon as the craze hits big time here in Oz. Enjoy while it lasts and stock up on products while it lasts.

My 2c...

DaShiVa

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Texas
I think keep it quiet on the government front, and promote it socially. The longer the current status lasts, the more people will start using, the more society will get accustomed to it, and the more use history we will have. Then, when the government does decide to start making decisions, it won't be about some 'upstart new gizmo few know or care about' that they can take the easy 'just ban it, it's the simplest solution' approach, but have enough social awareness, and community spokespeople who can state 'Ive been vaping for X years, and this is my story' type of thing that it will force the government to take it seriously and think of the affect on the people.

So, yeah, don't push for any kind of government involvement, but do spread the word, and educate who you can as best you can.

Doolang

Moved On
Mar 8, 2010
Australia
I have just had 2 shipments arrive 40 X 510 Kits Black

and Another order for 60 X 510 Kits White

My workplace employees over 100 staff most are smokers , and all have seen my 510 and love it and have said they want one , so we all chipped in and ordered a bulk load :) for friends and Family

I have had no problem getting it through Melbourne / Perth Customs.

SuperRogue

Feb 13, 2010
Australia
I think keep it quiet on the government front, and promote it socially. The longer the current status lasts, the more people will start using, the more society will get accustomed to it, and the more use history we will have. Then, when the government does decide to start making decisions, it won't be about some 'upstart new gizmo few know or care about' that they can take the easy 'just ban it, it's the simplest solution' approach, but have enough social awareness, and community spokespeople who can state 'Ive been vaping for X years, and this is my story' type of thing that it will force the government to take it seriously and think of the affect on the people.

So, yeah, don't push for any kind of government involvement, but do spread the word, and educate who you can as best you can.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here DaShiva it's made me rethink my own position on the issue. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread