The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Figuring out a batteries burst amp?

Discussion in 'Battery Issues' started by Jjshbetz11, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Jjshbetz11

Jjshbetz11 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2013
    Ohio
    Does anybody know how? Was given a 18650 imr and need formula for figuring out its burst amp. Any help is appreciative.

2. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    By 'burst amp' are you referring to maximum amp limit for short periods of time? If so, the only way I've been able to do it is to Google each battery until I find data I feel is trustworthy. What battery is yours?

BTW, I never use batteries on purpose into their burst amp limit. They heat up when stressed that hard and that's a bit risky. OTOH it is nice to know how much leeway there is for shorts.

3. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2009
    Central Texas
    That burst rating on some batts are only meant to last 1, maybe 2 seconds and then stop, go any longer than that and you'll have first hand experience of a thermal runaway.

4. ppcko

ppcko Full Member Verified Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Your best bet would be to google for a datasheet for your particular battery.
    I wouldn't really recommend to try it on your own. First, It could be dangerous. And second, you are probably going to destroy that poor battery.

5. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Unless you have the battery specification a formula is worthless as you require both the AH (amp hour rating) and the C rating of the battery to figure it out. If that data is available,, then the answer you quest is on the spec sheet. The formula is...

(mAh x C)/1000 = A e.g 2000mAh x 4 = 8000mA
    8000 divided by 1000 = 8A

6. Jjshbetz11

Mar 15, 2013
    Ohio
    Thank you looked everywhere for this info. Where did you find it?

7. Jjshbetz11

Mar 15, 2013
    Ohio
    Wait a minute, that's the formula for constant draw isn't it?

8. Rader2146

Rader2146 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 11, 2012
    Waco, TX
    There is no formula for us to use. The limits are set by the manufacturer based on several factors with the goal of limiting heat production. If the burst or pulse rating is not advertised, there is no way to figure it out on your own.

Operating a battery above it's constant current rating is counterproductive, IMO. Once the current gets that high, you are losing a lot of voltage due to the internal resistance of the battery. Simply using a battery with a higher amp rating (and lower internal resistance) will allow you to get the same vape experience with a higher resistance, lower current, and longer battery life.

9. Jjshbetz11

Mar 15, 2013
    Ohio
    Hmm, did not know that. Thanks for info!

10. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup. Rader has it right, there is no formula for burst ratings, it differs for every battery. It's also not clearly defined as far as I know. A burst for how long? I've seen 5 - 6 seconds talked about, but I've also seen other numbers. And what does it mean? Does the battery start venting then? At what ambient temperature? This rating will also go down as the battery gets older and the same is true of maximum continuous discharge ratings.

Vape safe :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.