Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
By 'burst amp' are you referring to maximum amp limit for short periods of time? If so, the only way I've been able to do it is to Google each battery until I find data I feel is trustworthy. What battery is yours?

BTW, I never use batteries on purpose into their burst amp limit. They heat up when stressed that hard and that's a bit risky. OTOH it is nice to know how much leeway there is for shorts.

ppcko

Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Does anybody know how? Was given a 18650 imr and need formula for figuring out its burst amp. Any help is appreciative.
Your best bet would be to google for a datasheet for your particular battery.
I wouldn't really recommend to try it on your own. First, It could be dangerous. And second, you are probably going to destroy that poor battery.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Unless you have the battery specification a formula is worthless as you require both the AH (amp hour rating) and the C rating of the battery to figure it out. If that data is available,, then the answer you quest is on the spec sheet. The formula is...

(mAh x C)/1000 = A e.g 2000mAh x 4 = 8000mA
8000 divided by 1000 = 8A

Jjshbetz11

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Ohio
Unless you have the battery specification a formula is worthless as you require both the AH (amp hour rating) and the C rating of the battery to figure it out. If that data is available,, then the answer you quest is on the spec sheet. The formula is...

(mAh x C)/1000 = A e.g 2000mAh x 4 = 8000mA
8000 divided by 1000 = 8A

Thank you looked everywhere for this info. Where did you find it?

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
There is no formula for us to use. The limits are set by the manufacturer based on several factors with the goal of limiting heat production. If the burst or pulse rating is not advertised, there is no way to figure it out on your own.

Operating a battery above it's constant current rating is counterproductive, IMO. Once the current gets that high, you are losing a lot of voltage due to the internal resistance of the battery. Simply using a battery with a higher amp rating (and lower internal resistance) will allow you to get the same vape experience with a higher resistance, lower current, and longer battery life.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Wait a minute, that's the formula for constant draw isn't it?

Yup. Rader has it right, there is no formula for burst ratings, it differs for every battery. It's also not clearly defined as far as I know. A burst for how long? I've seen 5 - 6 seconds talked about, but I've also seen other numbers. And what does it mean? Does the battery start venting then? At what ambient temperature? This rating will also go down as the battery gets older and the same is true of maximum continuous discharge ratings.

vape safe :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread