Filling Joye 510 cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

TypeOholic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
I must be some kind of special with these cartos. I got 40 drops through the battery end. I stopped at 40 because I didn't want to be wasting juice if I was doing something wrong. I let the carto sit for about an hour just to make sure the juice soaked in.

I put the carto on my ego and fired it up. I took a 5 second drag and the carto got very warm. This made me a little nervous but I kept going. The first hit was ok. Taste and vapor was pretty good. After that, the performance has dropped off. I got to about the 4th or 5th drag and now I can't taste the juice. I am getting a taste of plastic and very little vapor. The carto is still getting warm and I can hear the juice crackling like other cartos but the taste is now bad.

Anyone who has been using these for a while may know what I am doing wrong.

Please advise.

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
I must be some kind of special with these cartos. I got 40 drops through the battery end. I stopped at 40 because I didn't want to be wasting juice if I was doing something wrong. I let the carto sit for about an hour just to make sure the juice soaked in.

I put the carto on my ego and fired it up. I took a 5 second drag and the carto got very warm. This made me a little nervous but I kept going. The first hit was ok. Taste and vapor was pretty good. After that, the performance has dropped off. I got to about the 4th or 5th drag and now I can't taste the juice. I am getting a taste of plastic and very little vapor. The carto is still getting warm and I can hear the juice crackling like other cartos but the taste is now bad.

Anyone who has been using these for a while may know what I am doing wrong.

Please advise.

First off, the only way I can imagine getting 40 drops in there is on the first fill, when it's bone dry inside to start with. I'm surprised you didn't have juice flowing out the mouthpiece end! It also must be juice that's relatively thin, meaning small-ish drops, to get so many drops inside. But an empty carto could hold 40, especially if you gave it time to soak in as you filled it, not just after filling it.

As for the cartomizer getting very warm, some juices burn much hotter than others, even from the same maker. The thinner ones seem to burn hotter, and also make smaller drops, so I'm guessing the juice you used is on the thin side. With the increased heat, you are getting the plastic shell very hot, creating the taste of melting plastic.

But what's puzzling me is your sudden decrease in taste and vapor. That makes me think you've over-filled it, which may be drowning the atomizer. Instead of vaporizing a little bit of juice at a time, it may be flooded with juice, creating a mixture that is too rich for proper vaporization.

Like I said, I'm just guessing. There are many variables at work here.

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
I syringe fill but refill with a 10ml bottle with a blunt needle through the threaded end. I don't remember where I got the quite handy bottle w/Luer-Lok blunt needle though or I'd post it.

Are you talking about the Joye 510 cartomizer? Is that a metal blunt needle you are inserting into the threaded end? If so, I'm guessing you're not inserting it very deep, maybe only a quarter-inch or so at most. Otherwise, you'd be passing the needle through the wick on the atomizer. If you're inserting it a full inch or so through the metal tip, I'm surpised it didn't destroy the atomizer inside the carto.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Are you talking about the Joye 510 cartomizer? Is that a metal blunt needle you are inserting into the threaded end? If so, I'm guessing you're not inserting it very deep, maybe only a quarter-inch or so at most. Otherwise, you'd be passing the needle through the wick on the atomizer. If you're inserting it a full inch or so through the metal tip, I'm surpised it didn't destroy the atomizer inside the carto.

Now that you ask I realize I should have said that I just put it inside the tip rather than fully inside like I was filling from the mouthpiece end. But I've never spilled or dripped outside or made any mess using the bottle I've described. I can't see dripping from a standard plastic bottle with drip tip being as neat and clean.

TypeOholic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
First off, the only way I can imagine getting 40 drops in there is on the first fill, when it's bone dry inside to start with.
This was a brand new carto so you are right, it was completely dry.

I'm surprised you didn't have juice flowing out the mouthpiece end! It also must be juice that's relatively thin, meaning small-ish drops, to get so many drops inside.
No juice leakage at all. The juice is pretty thin 80/20 pg/vg mix.

But an empty carto could hold 40, especially if you gave it time to soak in as you filled it, not just after filling it.
Here is the odd part... The first drop did not want to go in so I tapped it as mentioned previously. The second drop did the same thing. But after that, I was dripping drop after drop quickly. As soon as the last drop would start to go in I would drop again to keep it flowing. The rate was about 1 drop per 3 seconds. At 26 drops the flow stopped and was not going down. I tapped it again and started right back to the same rate again.

As for the cartomizer getting very warm, some juices burn much hotter than others, even from the same maker. The thinner ones seem to burn hotter, and also make smaller drops, so I'm guessing the juice you used is on the thin side. With the increased heat, you are getting the plastic shell very hot, creating the taste of melting plastic.

But what's puzzling me is your sudden decrease in taste and vapor. That makes me think you've over-filled it, which may be drowning the atomizer. Instead of vaporizing a little bit of juice at a time, it may be flooded with juice, creating a mixture that is too rich for proper vaporization.
After letting the carto sit for a few hours I got a few more good hits out of it and then the performance declined again. I would say that it is maybe a wicking issue?

I opened the carto up to see if it was flooded. There was no juice under the first cap. Under the second ring there was a little moisture but it looked more like condensation than juice. But, there was no pooling of juice or anything that looked like leakage. Inside there is a third level of plastic where 1 side is cut out. I am assuming that this is the airway. With a flashlight I could see all the way to the bottom of that channel and again, no major moisture.

Could be that this is just a bad carto or it is just running a little hot and causing a wicking issue. I am going to wait until I have a syringe to fill the next one properly and then compare results.

vaporgalinfla

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2010
Florida
I probably wont use them. I don't want to buy a Mega just for these few carts.. I will just get some blank carts to fill for my standard ego. There are just so many on the market. Boge 510 and Ikenvape gold is what I was told to get. So many choices!

You would probably like the Ikenvape gold. I've read that they work well on an ego.

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
Well, I'm going to put my .02 in here. I've used the boge cartomizers, Ego mega cartomizers, and Joye 510 cartomizers on my eGo in addition to various prefilled and empty carts, drip tips, etc. My favorite has been the Joye 510 cartomizers. I'm totally inept with a syringe, and have found that using the condom method on the MOUTH end works the best for me. Just remember to "blow it out" of the mouth end and wiping off the thread end before attaching it to the battery. (otherwise you end up with juice in your mouth. :laugh:

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
Well, I'm going to put my .02 in here. I've used the boge cartomizers, Ego mega cartomizers, and Joye 510 cartomizers on my eGo in addition to various prefilled and empty carts, drip tips, etc. My favorite has been the Joye 510 cartomizers. I'm totally inept with a syringe, and have found that using the condom method on the MOUTH end works the best for me. Just remember to "blow it out" of the mouth end and wiping off the thread end before attaching it to the battery. (otherwise you end up with juice in your mouth. :laugh:

Holy crap. Doesn't that waste a ton of juice?

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
Holy crap. Doesn't that waste a ton of juice?

More juice goes into the cartomizer by using the mouth end rather than the threaded end. If you blow it correctly (and not overfill) you're just blowing the juice toward the atty part. And as far as wasting juice, you weren't with me with my syringe experiences. :lol: (Also you don't need to put as much juice in the condom as you do to fill from the threaded end.)

JDSupreme

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The syringes my gf got me from her dentist's office had too small a gauge of needles (they were blunt end but my juice was just too thick i guess, the hole was microscopic) so all I had to work with was an eye dropper. I filled it with .5-.6ml and slowly pushed it in from the threaded end. If a drop starts forming on the mouth end I stop and pull it away and its full. If nothing comes out the mouth end I drip a drop directly from my juice bottle on the hole on the threaded end and it sucks right down the hole. Repeat until you see a drop come out the mouth end. I've also tried filling an entire carto by just dripping straight from the juice bottle into the hole on the threaded end and it works as well, just takes a little more time. Once full I let it sit on its side for a few minutes then lightly blow from the mouth end and usually a drop of juice will come out from the threaded end into a napkin. That final light blow will keep you from getting any juice in your mouth. Just an alternative method that seems to work well.

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
Thanks for this thread it got me in to using these joye 510 cartos.
I have a Ce2 R4 adapter that I'm using on a 1 mL syringe to push 0.4 mL of liquid in. I pop off the top cap and inject into one of the little holes. I'm only losing 2 drops out of the battery end. I just started using the joye 510 cartos, and they have a far better taste than some of the off brand cartos I've used. Now I just need bigger ones to last longer. I burn through 0.4 mL pretty quick.

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
Thanks for this thread it got me in to using these joye 510 cartos.
I have a Ce2 R4 adapter that I'm using on a 1 mL syringe to push 0.4 mL of liquid in. I pop off the top cap and inject into one of the little holes. I'm only losing 2 drops out of the battery end. I just started using the joye 510 cartos, and they have a far better taste than some of the off brand cartos I've used. Now I just need bigger ones to last longer. I burn through 0.4 mL pretty quick.

You should be able to get about twice that amount of juice inside. When I use a syringe, I usually get about .75ml into them, but that's using the proper fill port underneath that plastic cap you are injecting into. Use a paperclip or a similar size metal tool to insert into one of the two small holes in that plastic barrier, and work it loose to pry it out. Then you'll see a larger hole or tube in the center of the carto. You'll need to pierce that with something sharp and sturdy to create the hole for the syringe. Then you can squirt juice directly into the filler material. This is the "correct" way to fill them, according to Joye. I think they made it such a hassle because they don't really WANT us to refill them! That's why I just drip into the metal tip. But you can use your same tool to slowly inject into the metal tip provided you only insert it 1/4 inch at most, until you feel resistance, then back it out a bit. If you squeeze slowly, I'll bet you can get at least .6ml inside if not .8ml before you see liquid at the mouthpiece end.

TexasT

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
East Texas
Hey chimney55, you're right, I wasn't there to see your adventure with the needle and syringe, but honestly, srcowell is right, its not that difficult to do. I'm real close to 70 years old and my hands are all over the place, plus I can't hardly feel anything ... and I can do it.

Remove mouthpiece.
Remove inner seal plug. (A small paper clip will fit in the hole).
Puncture the seal in the center. I use a sharpened nail.
Inject e-liquid in the center where you made the hole.
Put the seal plug on the tip of your finger with the plug pointing up and then put the cart over it. Then tamp the seal into place. I use a darning needle.
Replace mouthpiece.
Vape away.

I honestly cannot see how you managed to get any liquid at all into the carto by injecting fluid through the seal plug. That's a real mystery.

Anyhow, give it another try by doing it the way it was designed to be filled. You'll really enjoy these if you will. If you decide you don't want to fool with them, PM me and I'll buy them off of you.

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
Hey chimney55, you're right, I wasn't there to see your adventure with the needle and syringe, but honestly, srcowell is right, its not that difficult to do. I'm real close to 70 years old and my hands are all over the place, plus I can't hardly feel anything ... and I can do it.

Remove mouthpiece.
Remove inner seal plug. (A small paper clip will fit in the hole).
Puncture the seal in the center. I use a sharpened nail.
Inject e-liquid in the center where you made the hole.
Put the seal plug on the tip of your finger with the plug pointing up and then put the cart over it. Then tamp the seal into place. I use a darning needle.
Replace mouthpiece.
Vape away.

I honestly cannot see how you managed to get any liquid at all into the carto by injecting fluid through the seal plug. That's a real mystery.

Anyhow, give it another try by doing it the way it was designed to be filled. You'll really enjoy these if you will. If you decide you don't want to fool with them, PM me and I'll buy them off of you.

The problem wasn't following the instructions--the problem was using a syringe! I couldn't seem to get the syringe to fill up. It took forever. One syringe that I was using had a "removable needle". I tried pushing so hard to get the liquid into the fill hole that the needle popped off and juice was everywhere. I've just never had use in my life to learn how to use a syringe and it works so much differently than on the Dr.'s shows. (I never saw Dr. Kildare splash medicine all over himself while preparing to give an injection!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread