Final DIY Prep Checklist and Follow-up Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrnicevape

• Mar 16, 2021
    Hello All -
    New DIYer here. I've been busy this month and was able to get most of the stuff I'm going to need to keep me stocked well into the future. For background, I plan mix by weight, although I do have some items on my list to let me mix by volume if I'd like. Below is my list of supplies, and a few tactical questions below:

• Chest Freezer
    • Freebase nicotine 100mg/ml (100% PG base) - 2 gallons from LNW
    • DIY Kit from River Supply (contains 500ml of PG and 500ml of VG, graduated cylinder, syringes, pipettes, funnel, empty bottles and gloves)
    • 500ml of additional VG (I figure I'll buy more PG and VG as needed since it should still be available)
    • 20ct 60ml amber glass bottles w/dripper caps
    • 128ct 120ml amber glass bottles w/polycone caps from Glass Bottle Outlet
    • 0.01g Mini Scale at Amazon
    • Several bottles of one-shot flavoring from FlavorJungle (plan to buy individual flavors for mixing later, but thought to start the one-shot route first)
    • ART Argon Wine Saver at Amazon
    • White electrical tape to add an extra seal around caps of the amber bottles
    So, my nicotine and 120ml amber bottles arrived this week, but I haven't broken the nic yet into them. Nic is currently in the freezer in the original gallon plastic jugs. For I do break them down, I have a few questions.
    • Good idea to wash wash the 120ml bottles in the diswasher before using? What about the polycone caps? I've heard that water can get underneath the polycone part of the cap and cause other issues.
    • Good idea to shake up the nicotine before breaking down?
    • When I fill up the 120ml glass bottles, how much space should I leave from the top? I've heard that many folks stop right around where the straight part of the bottle forms at the neck. That being said, I'm not sure that assumed the nic was at room temperature whereas mine will already be condensed a bit from being in the freezer.
    A few more random questions:
    • Any recommendations on a way to test nicotine levels in a base or in completed eliquid? I'd like to do a test of the nicotine level now vs. when I pull it out of the freezer over time.
    • Any recommendations on a smart thermometer that can send me a text alert if the temperature of the freezer drops below a certain level?
    • Anything I'm missing in the list above or techniques I should be using that most newbies wouldn't know?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Good idea to wash wash the 120ml bottles in the diswasher before using? What about the polycone caps?
    I always wash my bottles. Not the caps.

Good idea to shake up the nicotine before breaking down?
    I shake my nic before using it. Same with my DIY mixes before vaping them.

When I fill up the 120ml glass bottles, how much space should I leave from the top? I've heard that many folks stop right around where the straight part of the bottle forms at the neck.
    Yep. That's good.

Any recommendations on a way to test nicotine levels in a base or in completed eliquid?
    I don't know of anyone doing DIY who does that. I don't. IMO you don't need to.

Any recommendations on a smart thermometer that can send me a text alert if the temperature of the freezer drops below a certain level?
    I've never been concerned about that. Check out this thread: Nic Base Storage: Freezer vs. Room Temp Experiment

Anything I'm missing in the list above or techniques I should be using that most newbies wouldn't know?
    Check out our DIY sub forum. There is tons of info and tips throughout.
    DIY E-Liquid

Also, you might consider popping in the Random DIY thread. It sees the most DIY daily traffic. There are DIY'ers there of all levels. It's a great place to ask your questions and to learn. Random DIY mixing and More

You may be interested in this DIY Information PDF one of our members put together a while back. It has much useful info.

Attachments

• DIY information(2).pdf
      806.7 KB · Views: 23

Koolkiz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 26, 2014
    United States
    Any recommendations on a way to test nicotine levels in a base or in completed eliquid? I'd like to do a test of the nicotine level now vs. when I pull it out of the freezer over time.
    This place is out of stock but it's what you are looking for.
    Years ago one could find them at many places.
    Nicotine Test Kit

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I've heard that water can get underneath the polycone part of the cap and cause other issues.

If you wan to thoroughly wash your caps, those cones come out. But you have to be careful not to break the post inside the cap that holds the cone in, otherwise the cone will never stay in again. I only do this with caps I reuse but I do end up breaking some of them.

Your call. I say just wipe them really good and be done with it.

Reactions: mrnicevape

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Anything I'm missing in the list above or techniques I should be using that most newbies wouldn't know?
    In fact you may find that you have worried too much about techniques and equipment. Sounds like you have done your homework,might want to launch and see what you find you may really need.

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    For a freezer alarm, there are many available. I've got a two sensor unit I've been satisfied with. One sensor in the deep freeze, the other in the fridge. Range is good, several rooms and walls away. Alarm is audible through the house.
    AcuRite 00515M Refrigerator Thermometer with 2 Wireless Temperature Sensors & Customizable Alarms

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Sounds like you have a very comprehensive list of equipment and supplies (personally, I have everything I need but I didn't stock up on nic... I may be screwed)
    I like to mix my unflavored "base" by volume (I do 100 ml batches) Makes it easier to mix when you are ready and it also comes in handy for other things (like if you mix too much flavor(s) you can easily dilute it. I mix the actual recipes with a scale (you are wise to get one) I really don't think you need to test your nic... it will be fine. Also, no need for a high tech freezer thermometer... just get a standard metal one and check it occasionally (you are over-thinking this ;) ) The hardest part (once you get your process/routine down) is choosing flavors/brands (that's where you find yourself going down the "rabbit hole") but it's also very fun. There are online calculators for mixing your base. Don't obsess over how much your added flavors will affect the final ratios. Do you know what VG/PG ratio you like? Same for nic strength. I have different setups that require different nic strengths so mix several different bases. When you try a new flavor, it's best to make a small (10ml) test batch first (it's call a SFT... single flavor test) There are websites that have guidelines for what % of each flavor to use (solo... by itself) You will end up using less in recipes (more than one flavor) You might want to get some smaller bottles (plastic is fine) for the test batches. Whenever you mix a juice (e-liquid), leave some airspace so you can shake it really good after mixing. Welcome and enjoy! :thumbs:

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I almost forgot... I posted this thread that has a long list of flavors/brands that have had good reviews/comments (I spent many many hours researching this) Hope it helps (they are not well organized... I don't have time for that so just use Ctr-F to search the list):
    Well-reviewed Flavor Concentrates

Reactions: YoursTruli

DaveOno

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Dutchess County, New York
    Any recommendations on a smart thermometer that can send me a text alert if the temperature of the freezer drops below a certain level?
    THE place to get digital thermometers is Thermoworks. Dependable, accurate, heavy-duty.
    https://www.thermoworks.com/shop/products/Fridge-Alarms

Everyone should get one. You will be surprised at the results. You might be too hot, and not chilling the food enough, or you might be way too cold, wasting a lot of money.
    And my deep freezer varies from -6 to +5F. (without auto-defrost). My sidexside freezer/fridge has big variations, due to the auto defrost (every 12 hours or so) From -15 to about 15F. From what I've read, this is close to normal.
    After you have monitored one freezer, move it to your fridge. Seriously. Especially the older models (more than 15yrs old)

And for you bbq'ers and grillers, you Must get a Thermopen or a Dash. You will have perfectly cooked steaks!!!!

:)

Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread