Finally decided to be a big girl and rebuild my own wicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NakiFantaki

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Las Vegas NV
Can anyone point me the right direction?
I've watched pbasardo's video. While that helped, I am looking for more. Is there a thread that I'm missing?
I want to attempt to rebuild the wicks for my mini vivi novas. Where do I buy the materials and what should I get?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States

SilentScreams

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Cottekill,NY
Would that silica wick work for just replacing the flavor wicks on the Kanger T3's...Whenever I go to dryburn them when I go to take them out they just fall apart and I would love to be able to replace them cause without them they really leak.

I don't know anything about the Kanger T3. I use those parts to rebuild the Kanger Protank though. So if its rebuildable then I would think they'll work.

LazyBulldogge

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2013
Kalundborg, Denmark
Zivipf is who I buy my wick and wire from as well - so far I've only used Kanthal D 0.2mm and 1 mm silica though, but that worked fine for the Vivi Nova coils, and the Protank as well. 4x1mm wick and 6 wraps of Kanthal (when looking down from at the top of the coil) gives a nice 2.3-2.4 Ohm coil :)
6 wraps is a bit of a tight fit in the Nova heads though, so Kanthal A 0.15mm or so might be even better, as the resistance per length unit, is almost twice as much as on the Kanthal D 0.2mm.

gjshaw29

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Some people suggest a quick burn on the wires with a small torch to get off the manufacturing garbage. Which leads my tool clueless self to ask. Where the heck does one find a really small torch?
You can also just use a lighter to torch your wire before you wrap a coil. It takes a lot of the springiness out of the wire so it's easier to deal with. Also you might find lower ohms are better when you rewrap, I know I did. But I've always liked low resistence, and am now getting into sub ohms on my rebuildables.

LazyBulldogge

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2013
Kalundborg, Denmark
Yeah, torch your wire with a lighter, to get rid of oils and other garbage from the factory, plus take out the springiness, as gjshaw29 also pointed out. Just run the lighter gently under the wire and move on when the wire turns red.
I also torch my wick with the blue part of the lighter flame (the bottom part of the flame, the top part (yellow) of the flame, will make your wicks turn black. Just un it gently under the wicks (hold them with a tool, they do get quite hot from this) - this shortens the "breaking in" time of a new coil drastically imo.
When I make a Vivi coil, I take a straightened out paperclip, 4 pieces of 1mm silica and hold them together with one hand. With the thumb of the same hand, I hold one end of the wire, then do the wraps with the other hand - somewhat tight, but not overly tight. When I'm happy with the wraps, I remove the paperclip, and fit the coil in the Vivi head (see video/picture tutorials on how to connect the wire in the head). Some people leave the paperclip in, until they've made the connections as well, some people wrap the coil on a nail or screw, then thread the wick through it, etc. etc., so the above method, is just how I do it and it's working great for me :)
Also, if you don't have a vaping device that will measure Ohms of the connected tank/clearo, get a cheap multimeter and use that to check the resistance of the coil/check for shorts in the coil. One pin goes in the bottom hole of Vivi head, the other goes on the threading. Remember to check the resistance in the multimeter first, by putting the two pins together, and subtract that from the resistance reading :)

KC Jones

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
Rockwood, Tennessee, United States
Last edited:

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Ty all for the answers. I have a 2 questions. In a number of these videos I see people using a small box 3 in x 3 in roughly that the atomizer screws onto to check the ohms of it.
1. Is that a multimeter?
2. If it is a multimeter where can I find one of these?

Edit: THe video in the post above this one shows the box I am talking about if that helps.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Ty all for the answers. I have a 2 questions. In a number of these videos I see people using a small box 3 in x 3 in roughly that the atomizer screws onto to check the ohms of it.
1. Is that a multimeter?

Edit: THe video in the post above this one shows the box I am talking about if that helps.

No, not a multimeter, but an ohm meter. But it will work fine for testing an assembled coil.

A multimeter is capable of checking ohms, volts, ma... Harbor Freight has a cheap one, and there are others around as well. If you decide to go that route, remember to put it on the lowest ohm setting (often around 200), and "short" the test leads first - touch the two tips together and note the value. That tells you the resistance of the test leads, and you need to subtract that from the coil reading to get a more accurate value. Especially important for anything in the low range of resistance. (For example, if the final reading is 2.0 ohms and your leads are 1.5, then your coil is only 0.5, and that would probably NOT be a good thing!)

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
1. Is that a multimeter?

I believe this is what you are asking about: Cartomizer and Atomizer Ohm Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread