Finally going to spring for a decent RBA..any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
While I'm sure this is covered ad-nauseam on a daily basis, or close to it, I thought I'd ask again.. Looking at getting an upgrade from my smok mini rda and really want something that'll hold more than five-ten drops at a time. Ideally a tank setup would be great, but I've only found maybe one that offers Pyrex, I want to say the AGA T-2 had that option at around $40 or so..problem is, I'm not keen on using SS wicks, I much prefer silica/Ekowool/cotton as I don't have access to a torch to oxidize the mesh. Of course a bit more looking lead me to the Vision Eternity, watched PBusardo do a review of it, and it looks pretty nice..30-40 drop (1.5-2ml?) capacity, metal construction, room to work for reasonable coil setups, only downside I can find is not being able to see liquid level.

Bit of searching on FT showed me an Ithaka clone for $35, and an Eternity clone for $13, didn't check on AGAs or similar yet. So now the questions that come to mind are:
1) That Ithaka clone seems to come with a PC tank, is there any option for a replacement in PP or Pyrex? I like my citrus flavors and don't really want to kill a $35 atty in two days vaping Blood Orange or something.
2) Are there any reasonably-priced options I'm missing? Again, Pyrex or metal is somewhat of a requirement if at all possible, otherwise I don't have many other wants/needs, I'd like it work out of the box without having to 'repair' design flaws, but if there's something amazing out there that just needs a bit of elbow grease to really shine, I'd consider it.
3) All the ones I've seen are 510 threading, I assume this is pretty standard on RBA/RDA setups, though I'm not opposed to something with Ego threading if that happens to come up..of course not a requirement at all as 510s will work fine with a thread cover.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
While I'm sure this is covered ad-nauseam on a daily basis, or close to it, I thought I'd ask again.. Looking at getting an upgrade from my Smok mini RDA and really want something that'll hold more than five-ten drops at a time. Ideally a tank setup would be great, but I've only found maybe one that offers Pyrex, I want to say the AGA T-2 had that option at around $40 or so..problem is, I'm not keen on using SS wicks, I much prefer silica/Ekowool/cotton as I don't have access to a torch to oxidize the mesh. Of course a bit more looking lead me to the Vision Eternity, watched PBusardo do a review of it, and it looks pretty nice..30-40 drop (1.5-2ml?) capacity, metal construction, room to work for reasonable coil setups, only downside I can find is not being able to see liquid level.

Bit of searching on FT showed me an Ithaka clone for $35, and an Eternity clone for $13, didn't check on AGAs or similar yet. So now the questions that come to mind are:
1) That Ithaka clone seems to come with a PC tank, is there any option for a replacement in PP or Pyrex? I like my citrus flavors and don't really want to kill a $35 atty in two days vaping Blood Orange or something.
2) Are there any reasonably-priced options I'm missing? Again, Pyrex or metal is somewhat of a requirement if at all possible, otherwise I don't have many other wants/needs, I'd like it work out of the box without having to 'repair' design flaws, but if there's something amazing out there that just needs a bit of elbow grease to really shine, I'd consider it.
3) All the ones I've seen are 510 threading, I assume this is pretty standard on RBA/RDA setups, though I'm not opposed to something with Ego threading if that happens to come up..of course not a requirement at all as 510s will work fine with a thread cover.

You said a decent RBA,why a clone?Since you want a silica device i was going to suggest the Immortalizer at $95,or Russian 91% at $92.Any RBA/RDA that comes pre-wicked,is almost going to have to be re coiled so out of the box vape usually takes the time to build the coil and hook it up.The Igo-W at $14-$20,depending on where you get it,is a stellar vape.I have mine set up with quad coils currently.

1)As of right now i have not seen a Pyrex,PP tank available for the ithaka clone.
2)The two i listed above need nothing but a coil in place and the Immortalizer is an excellent,moist,cool vape and alot of vapor.I am waiting on the Russian 91% right now,along with the entire vape community,so not sure how it will perform.It is an exact clone,of the Kayfun Lite,down to parts interchangeable,it should be an awesome vape too.
3)Yes 510 is pretty much standard threading,the eternity you mentioned is 510 threading but meant to be used with Ego batts.

Last edited:

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
You said a decent RBA,why a clone?Since you want a silica device i was going to suggest the Immortalizer at $95,or Russian 91% at $92.Any RBA/RDA that comes pre-wicked,is almost going to have to be re coiled so out of the box vape usually takes the time to build the coil and hook it up.The Igo-W at $14-$20,depending on where you get it,is a stellar vape.I have mine set up with quad coils currently.

1)As of right now i have not seen a Pyrex,PP tank available for the ithaka clone.
2)The two i listed above need nothing but a coil in place and the Immortalizer is an excellent,moist,cool vape and alot of vapor.I am waiting on the Russian 91% right now,along with the entire vape community,so not sure how it will perform.It is an exact clone,of the Kayfun Lite,down to parts interchangeable,it should be an awesome vape too.
3)Yes 510 is pretty much standard threading,the eternity you mentioned is 510 threading but meant to be used with Ego batts.

I guess I should have clarified when I said 'decent'. Something that's not going to fall apart after I rebuild the coil twice, mostly. Price is kind of a factor, I can't afford $100 for an RBA at the moment as I'm between jobs..hence why I was looking at a clone. I don't mind having to wrap a coil straight out of the box, I honestly expected to have to do that no matter what I bought as generally the pre-wrapped coils are made to be 'safe' in the 2.0ohm or higher range and I prefer 1-1.5ohm..

Another great RBA for new users would be the RSST... Easy to build, easy to use, and best of all, cheap.

The RSST was on the list but I don't believe it's Pyrex/PP, nor does it have an option for a Pyrex/PP add-on..unless they changed something? That's really my only concern with it, otherwise it looks great.

ETA: Just found the AGI drip/tank RBA with a Pyrex tank for $28, looks like that may be a decent starting point for me, until I can bring in some money and pick up something higher-end..

Last edited:

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
The RSST was on the list but I don't believe it's Pyrex/PP,

It's a polypropylene tank. I think the older ones might have been polycarbonate. I've seen some pictures of messed up RSST tanks, but I think the juice they had in it was a nogo on anything other than glass anyhow.

Lumiis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2009
London, Kentucky
From experience, using a lighter caused my coils to gunk up, as it didn't burn enough of the juice off. Spend 5 bucks and buy a butane lighter from Walmart (the torch kind) - this doesn't require a flamethrower, and not 100% sure why people are paying 30-40 for the culinary torches.

I just oxidize mesh with a lighter. You don't have to use a torch. Heck some people do not oxidize at all. They just use the pulse method to oxidize the part where the coil is.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
There is nothing great about an RSST at all, great should never be confused with decent. A decent RBA would be an RSST but a great RBA would be something like an Ody, a Kayfun or an Ithaka. Vaping an RSST and then vaping either of these right after will reveal it's true colors. By the way you don't need to buy an original GG or Kayfun product to get that great vape, there are clones of them out there that put out an amazing nearly if not identical vape.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Since you're between jobs I'd say go with something like the mini pro tank and rebuild the coil with a micro and cotton. Check utube for one of the Rip Tripper videos if you want to take a look.

The Ithaka clone gets good reviews and has the ceramic up top to preserve the heat, but as far as I know you can't use your own trip tip. For anyone that doesn't like stainless trip tips like me they're a no go.

I'm a huge fanboy of the dream 804's. I have four and they're about all I vape anymore, but they do have their niggles so be sure you research them before trying.

Good luck and keep us posted. :vapor:

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
Really appreciate all the replies, not going to quote everybody to answer individually as it'd take up the whole page, but to answer to some specifics..

Thought about using a 'cigar' lighter (butane lighter torch) but didn't think it'd kick off enough heat, guess it will since someone seems to be using one. Good to know.

Also good to know I don't have to use SS in an AGA/AGI, I had just assumed that was a requirement based on the specs.

I do currently rebuild my Evods/PTs but they're somewhat of a hassle due to the confined space, my manual dexterity took a huge hit somewhere in the last few months with a head injury I sustained, and while I'm trying to get it back, micro coils are a royal pain in the neck for me still..finally rolled one up in my Smoktech mini and it's amazing, but it's not a true micro by any stretch, just fairly close to it..still hits like a freight train and I'm blown away at performance.. (Funny thing is I'm running it on a standard ol' Ego Twist..got a DNA12 mod in the works as well as a mechanical so I'm going to give it a whirl on there and see if I can fog up the room!)

If the RSST has switched over to a PP tank it's back on the list, looking at it again I do see the tell-tale frosting which makes me think polypro..granted the Ithaka on FT looks frosted yet they claim it's PC..

Actually just traded someone on here and should be getting a Phoenix XL (watched some videos of it, looks pretty good) and what appears to be either an Igo or AGA style atty, the member said it was a clone but didn't specify any details, and it looks like a genuine Igo-W or Igo-L (pic was poor quality so couldn't be sure, and didn't compare it to anything yet)..so I'm going to start on those, the Phoenix looks promising as it seems to have a 1ml capacity give or take..of course with the wick setup in my Smoktech I'm able to add maybe half a mil or more of juice and not leak out the air hole, so it may just come down to strategic wick placement..

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Thought about using a 'cigar' lighter (butane lighter torch) but didn't think it'd kick off enough heat, guess it will since someone seems to be using one. Good to know.

Might not work for everyone, but for me it's enough to do 2-3 juice burns and no torching at all. Think it builds enough oxidation to make pulsing easy. Might not work on a regulated/protected mod.

Cavere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2013
Utah
Start with a dripper honestly. Something like an igo-l can take a decent number of drops but it's easy to build and cheap. Which makes it a good starting point getting into rebuildibles. Mesh can be a pain and starting out if you're having issues there's too many variables to narrow down to one issue. The Ithaca clones look nice but then you're also dealing with non resistance wire as well which is another hassle. Start simple and explore in from there.

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
Start with a dripper honestly. Something like an igo-l can take a decent number of drops but it's easy to build and cheap. Which makes it a good starting point getting into rebuildibles. Mesh can be a pain and starting out if you're having issues there's too many variables to narrow down to one issue. The Ithaca clones look nice but then you're also dealing with non resistance wire as well which is another hassle. Start simple and explore in from there.

Ah, guess I should have specified, I'm not new to RBA/RDA tech at all, I'm just tired of the tiny little Smoktech Mini (Octopus, I think?) that I had been using. So I've already got coiling, wicks, etc pretty much down, I just wasn't sure of a good next step to take hardware-wise. I'm definitely trying to avoid mesh though, just not my thing, seems like too much work when I can roll a cotton or even Ekowool wick faster and get the same if not better flavor. Definitely appreciate mention of having to deal with NR wire on the Ithakas, that puts them right off the list as I can't afford, much less physically use (right now at least) a wire welder of any quality.

Read this:
Turn your AC9 into an Auto Dripper – Vapinaze
then order any rba you want. Cotton is super easy, cheap, and works great. I use cotton in my rsst with no muss, no fuss.

Now that..that is stunning. First atty I pick up that I can use that trick on, I'm giving it a try. Heck I might tear down my Smoktech in a bit and replace the wick with a cotton ball tuft, while there's no liquid reservoir on it I would guess I can just pop the shield and drip right onto the cotton every few drags, just to see how I like it.

ubergeek922

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Cincinnati
Now that..that is stunning. First atty I pick up that I can use that trick on, I'm giving it a try. Heck I might tear down my Smoktech in a bit and replace the wick with a cotton ball tuft, while there's no liquid reservoir on it I would guess I can just pop the shield and drip right onto the cotton every few drags, just to see how I like it.

I think cotton is one of the best wicks when you look at cost, ease, and taste. Here's a post I made in the microcoil thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10664337
Micro Coils to increase Vapor, flavor & TH
Try some micros with cotton while waiting for your rba, I'm a convert now. That's all I do anymore. Even have a micro and cotton on my rsst.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
Looking at that AC9 auto dripper... that's tempting. I've been having a bit of a time getting my SS mesh wick to stay wicking.... damn thing dries out too fast with a .8 ohm coil. I am going to add a wrap and get it to 1 and see if the lower power pushing through it helps slow down the vape... taking some of the load off the wick.

BUT.... I've been playing around with micros and cotton on my Octopus RDA... Damn, that thing vapes nice now.

I might just give this a shot. Throw a micro on there, some cotton....hmmm

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
for a geni i would go rsst or richman. I know they now make steel sections for the rsst.

for a softwick atty i would go with a kayfun or clone over the ithaka, the res/non res wire setup turns me off. but with the ithakas i do believe there is also a steel tank section available somewhere.

just a bout any wick can be used in any device with enough fooling around. I have silica in a geni now as well as mesh in a couple drippers and even the kayfun (becoming problematic though lol)

damn thing dries out too fast with a .8 ohm coil.

just have to keep it tilted when taking a hit. i run .8-.9 in my DID's

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
You can use silica/cotton wick in just about anything yes, but in my experience it becomes a pain in some top fed wick units. If you're going to use silica/cotton wick try to stick to bottom fed rebuildables, it's just so much easier than having to tilt and play around with the units instead just just letting gravity do it's job.

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
I know they now make steel sections for the rsst.

Yep, just found a Youtube video with a link to some guy on Facebook who apparently makes said steel sections, course I haven't had time to click through and read to see if he's selling commercially or if they're one-offs. Later today I'll read the page and see what the deal is, if they're not absurdly expensive I might go with an RSST + steel tank section. Don't really care about seeing juice level that much, it'd be nice but not a requirement, so I can just swap on the steel section when I feel like having a tank killer juice, otherwise just leave the PC/PP tube in place.

Also just saw this: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...412338-rsst-new-tank-material-discussion.html Interesting.. And there are comments on other threads about a RSSTv2 with Pyrex/glass tank..no idea if it was just a prototype, or if we'll see it hit stores in the future.

ETA again: FT lists the RSST as being a polypro tank... http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10005349/1428620-authentic-smoktech-rsst-rebuildable-atomizer-2-5 If that's accurate, might be my next buy, after I play with the Phoenix I have coming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread