Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Hi all, so I'm finally thinking of getting a REO as my first mech mod. I've always been worried about using an unregulated mod, and I think I'm ready to give it a shot. However before I go on and violate my credit card again, I would really appreciate if other REO owners could provide me with some answers to question that I have:

1) One of my biggest worry about getting a bottom feeder mech mod is the compatibility with other 510 RBAs. I have close to 10 KFL+, Taifuns and R91, and the last thing I want is to make the shift over and realize that the only thing I can use is an atty like RM2. I understand that obviously IF i were to use a normal rba, then I won't be doing the whole squeezing bottle thing, but that wouldn't be an issue for me I guess.

2) how EXACTLY does the bottom feeding work? I see the interior of the REO has a bottle which is attached to a tube that kinda goes to the atty connection part. Here's where it confuses me: what next? I don't really see the tube going into a hole on the RM2 or anything. seems almost magical.

3) I understand that as with all mech mods, the performance degrades in line with the amount of energy left in the battery. How significant is that? I mean, would it be like an overly intense vape at the start (and possibly risk getting burnt juice), and eventually degrades until I can't get much vapor anymore? That's another thing that's taken me a long time to get over to try out a mech mod.

Hope to hear from you guys!

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
Hi all, so I'm finally thinking of getting a REO as my first mech mod. I've always been worried about using an unregulated mod, and I think I'm ready to give it a shot. However before I go on and violate my credit card again, I would really appreciate if other REO owners could provide me with some answers to question that I have:

1) One of my biggest worry about getting a bottom feeder mech mod is the compatibility with other 510 RBAs. I have close to 10 KFL+, Taifuns and R91, and the last thing I want is to make the shift over and realize that the only thing I can use is an atty like RM2. I understand that obviously IF i were to use a normal RBA, then I won't be doing the whole squeezing bottle thing, but that wouldn't be an issue for me I guess. Those will work on the Reo, but the RM2 will work better because you can then use the juice bottle.

2) how EXACTLY does the bottom feeding work? I see the interior of the REO has a bottle which is attached to a tube that kinda goes to the atty connection part. Here's where it confuses me: what next? I don't really see the tube going into a hole on the RM2 or anything. seems almost magical. Yes, it magic....no, there is a tube going into the RM2. You just squeeze (squonk) the bottle lightly for a few seconds, the juice will saturate your wick and suck back into the bottle. Take 3 to 6 toots (depending on your style) and squonk again for fresh juice.

3) I understand that as with all mech mods, the performance degrades in line with the amount of energy left in the battery. How significant is that? I mean, would it be like an overly intense vape at the start (and possibly risk getting burnt juice), and eventually degrades until I can't get much vapor anymore? That's another thing that's taken me a long time to get over to try out a mech mod. Most Reonauts vape down to around 3.7 volts. Some say they can feel when a battery change is required, but I could never really. Just checked the battery in the beginning and now I sort of time it, change at anything from 3.8 to 3.6 volts. For me it is quite consistent from start to finish.

Hope to hear from you guys!

My answers in green above. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
You might consider purchasing a LP (Low Profile) Grand. The drip well is milled so you can use the larger RBA's.

I have used only REO's for almost three years. If you use the recommended battery, the AW IMR 1600 you will notice when they drop voltage. I usually change them out when they get to about 3.7.

Squonking is when you gently push the bottle to force juice into the atty, cartos, or RBA. You must use atomizers, cartos, or RBA's that have a hole on the bottom for bottom feeding to use that feature.
The center post in the REO is connected to a hollow post that the tubing fits. So the juice can move from the bottle to the atomizer, cartos, or RBA.

Last edited:

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
inotfat....
First off.....Welcome to Reoville!!:D You'll find owning a Reo a rewarding experience!!
MY personal takes on your queries (others will chime in, I'm sure!!:))...
1.) Almost ANY 510-threaded atty will work on a Reo.....As you've stated....you won't be able to "squonk" unless the RBA has been modded for BF -- you'll still have to drip "from the top". There are other threads that describe how to "mod" various RBA/RDA's; you aren't "locked' into using an RM2...in fact, Rob has just released a BF IGO-S-- a bit less $$ than the RM2....I have one here but haven't gotten around to building a coil for it yet!!:)
2.) Squeezing the juice bottle forces juice up the tube, through a hole in the 510 connector, then into a hole drilled in the center post of the atty. The juice flows out of the center hole, onto the deck of the RDA, saturating the wick(s)....any excess juice is drained back into the bottle via a hole drilled in the deck (RM2)...a small o-ring under the atty., around the 510 threading, keeps any juice from spilling out underneath; it just runs back into the bottle!! (Rob makes David Copperfield look like a rank amateur!!;))
3.) As the battery drains, vaping performance WILL diminish.....how much will depend on several factors: how much you vape, the resistance of the coil(s) in the atty, the battery's current drain-down, etc. After you've used a mech awhile, you'll be able to tell when your vape start to "slide" - and it's time to charge/change the battery...having a multimeter to check battery voltage is a big PLUS!!
Most any inexpensive unit will be fine...plan to spend ~$30-$40 for a rig that will last a good while...the recommended battery for the Reo Grand is the AW IMR 18650 1600mAH.....fully charged, it will read 4.2 volts....when it gets to ~3.7-3.6 volts, it's time for a charge (discharge below ~3.3 volts can shorten the life of the battery and cause recharging issues....).
Think I've touched on your main ??'s....I've had my Reo Grand for about 3 weeks and LOVE it!! It beats having to play around with tanks and messy fillings.....and the flavor from your favorite juice is beyond reproach!!:D
Best of luck!
BTW.....when you finally GET your Reo.....Pics here are a MUST!!:)
Happy (vaping) Trails!

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I was hooked on VV/VW for years and had many of your same concerns. I took the leap and my first thought was "Why did I wait so long?"

The regular REO has deep drip well, it was designed when the only choice was disposable atomizers or cartos, The standard RM2 RBA is milled on the bottom to fit into the drip well, smaller attys like a Hornet, Igo-S, regular Cyclone without AFC cap work as well..

The LP Reo has a much shallower drip well so any size atty/RBA can be used, like larger tanks, Cyclone with AFC, Nimbus, Patriot etc.

The vape is good enough with a decent BF RBA that most people sell or give away almost everything else they have in their collection.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Here's a vid on how the grand works:
http://youtu.be/WaDqS2kPLo0

Getting a bottom fed RBA would definitely be the way to go. Coiling and wicking one is very simple and most say the vape is better than any other mod / RBA combination. I don't know - REOs and bottom fed RBAs are all I use and I have no desire to even try anything else.

There is nothing better than fresh squozen juice on demand :)

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
WELL. that was all I needed. Last question though: I see a lot of people raving about the RM2. I've pretty much decided on the LP Reo Grand, just wondering if the RM2 can fit on it too since I've been dying to try it out. I figured it would be silly to buy a REO, and only use my kayfuns on them

oh oh edit: one more question. I have never used a dripper atty and I've ALWAYS wondered about this. I swap around 3 - 4 flavors throughout the day. With my current set up, I carry 4 already-filled RBAs around and just swap em around whenever. I wonder how thats like for a REO with a RM2? I've gone through TONNES of youtube vids, and all of them simply mention swapping out the on-board bottle. I guess what I'm really asking it, surely it can't be as simple as that? I'd imagine all the remnant juice in the cotton wick from the previous bottle, juice left within the atty chambers, juice left in the tube etc.

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
It is almost that easy.....but yes, there will be residual juice left over in the wick, tubing, and atty. I personally don't mind because my juices are all similar. With the RM2, it's really easy to switch to a new cotton wick if your juices aren't compatible. If you get an LP Reo, then you need to get an unmilled RM2 to fit on it. The RM2s are milled down so that they'll fit into the catch cups of the regular REOs. If you get the Low Profile REO, you won't need it to be milled down.

Un5tab1e

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
United States
If you get a lp Reo grand then get the lp rm2 also. The regular rm2 is milled and won't look right. Unless u are using strong flavors like Pluid most of us just switch bottles and vape what little mixes in the tube. I got my first Reo the beginning of Dec and now have 2 and haven't touched a cig.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

marsos52

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
new jersey
I once used only variable voltage/wattage mods, then I tried a totally mechanical mod. I never looked back.
no more fussing with menus and trying to find the best setting. now, a fresh battery and I good coil and its set to go.
If I want a warmer vape, I just lover my coil ohms or visa versa.

as for bottom feeding, It's the hot setup, everything is contained in one unit, no more having to carry a juice bottle and drip drip drip.
or if its a genny style, no more syringe etc.

So the bottom line is ... a Reos Mod lets you get the best of vaping and eliminates all the hassles and you can just enjoy want vaping is all about.

I've sold off all my other high end mods with just one left on the for sale section here, and I am replacing them with more Grands in all my favorite colors.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
it takes me a few min's to whip everything out of the reo, throw it under a scorching tap, shake, blow dry from mouth and reassemble! it's so user friendly.

A battery trick I picked up from someone else is to keep an eye on how much juice you use during one battery, I normally use about 3ml
on a battery before it needs charging so I fill up with 3ml of high octane juice and when it's gone I can either refill and change batt or change juice flav and battery or fill 6ml and take two batts out :D

Last edited:

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
oh oh edit: one more question. I have never used a dripper atty and I've ALWAYS wondered about this. I swap around 3 - 4 flavors throughout the day. With my current set up, I carry 4 already-filled RBAs around and just swap em around whenever. I wonder how thats like for a REO with a RM2?

Do not listen to the "switch the bottle" slackers above me. The real solution comes after you try the reo. You quickly realize you need a backup in case of loss or theft (breakage is pretty hard to imagine). Then, with two you can very easily swap flavors, vape while you experiment with a new coil, etc.

In time, you may just end up like many of us. I have six reos, three reomizers, and one reo modded igo/Rob's newest release RBA. My seventh reo will be a woody.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
I'm sold! Def getting the REO. Only thing is I emailed Robert and there's an upgrade on the contacts coming up in 4-8 weeks. Seeing how it's my first and I have limited funds, I'm gonna hold out for that. Can't wait to post up pictures of it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
You aren't the first to say just that. If you sub ohm, the new kit will be a bigger difference for you than if you don't. The kit will also retrofit. Usually, it is suggested to get a spring, etc as spares. My opinion, don't wait. Get the reo now and when you've sold off your other stuff you can get the upgrade as a rebuild kit and save your stock parts as spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread