Finding the best tank and what I have tried....

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
Ok, I quit smoking in one week after I finally gave vaping a try and would never go back to those nasty cigarettes for anything.

I have gone through a lot of experiments and wasted money over the past 3 years trying to find the right mod, tank, coils and juice in an every changing market.

I don't like hot vapor and honestly I cant see how some of these tanks can be used without causing burns the mouthpieces get so hot near or at their coils ratings. Much less the lava I feel my lungs trying to make it work.

Right now I have a Smok Mag mod which is ergonomic and has more power than I will ever need or use.

The tanks I have that I can use at low wattage (37-40) and get from very little to a decent amount of vapor out of depends on the temperature of the room and if I am making it hot chain vaping it.
I like the Big Baby Beast by Smok best. I like the new mesh coils but also the Q2.
The Cleito works OK for me and I plan on getting an expanded glass so the capacity is better.
And I have a new Uwell Nunchaku which works fairly well and looks nice. I have a Crown 1 that I am not currently using but recall working well and there is a lot of metal to act as a heat sink even though I would not run it at any higher wattage than the others.

The Smok BBB is good because I can get multiples of that tank, I have 2 right now and i can get coils for them inexpensively and of course use them in as many tanks I buy that they fit.

I also have a Valarian and a Crown 3 and a new Prince TFV12 which I remember working at some point but sort of have amnesia and they don't produce any vapor unless I get to higher wattage and then I can't continue as I am literally getting burnt by the heat.

I did buy a RDTA a Crave Aromamizer Supreme when I noticed the cost of coils was too much but the deck had a partition limiting coil sizes and they have come out with a revised one to solve that. I could get that to work though and work well as long as I used clapton coils. Non clapton coils never worked well for whatever reason. But I am looking for a tank that will both produce decent amounts of vapor and great flavor at a low cost.
$10 new so I have that. I like having multiple tanks ready to go so I can change flavors easily.

I see people on you tube videos using any of the tanks I have and are blowing out massive clouds. I am only using 3% nicotine and it is good I am off that habit but I also really can't feel any nicotine even if it is the first thing in the morning.
I took a hit off a friends set up that runs a vape shop with 3mg nic and could really feel it.

There are only so many parts to these things and I am at a loss to figure out where i am going wrong. I used to be able to fill up my room with vapor and now it is just not happening and I can't figure out why. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: stols001

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Ok, I quit smoking in one week after I finally gave vaping a try and would never go back to those nasty cigarettes for anything.

I have gone through a lot of experiments and wasted money over the past 3 years trying to find the right mod, tank, coils and juice in an every changing market.

I don't like hot vapor and honestly I cant see how some of these tanks can be used without causing burns the mouthpieces get so hot near or at their coils ratings. Much less the lava I feel my lungs trying to make it work.

Right now I have a Smok Mag mod which is ergonomic and has more power than I will ever need or use.

The tanks I have that I can use at low wattage (37-40) and get from very little to a decent amount of vapor out of depends on the temperature of the room and if I am making it hot chain vaping it.
I like the Big Baby Beast by Smok best. I like the new mesh coils but also the Q2.
The Cleito works OK for me and I plan on getting an expanded glass so the capacity is better.
And I have a new Uwell Nunchaku which works fairly well and looks nice. I have a Crown 1 that I am not currently using but recall working well and there is a lot of metal to act as a heat sink even though I would not run it at any higher wattage than the others.

The Smok BBB is good because I can get multiples of that tank, I have 2 right now and i can get coils for them inexpensively and of course use them in as many tanks I buy that they fit.

I also have a Valarian and a Crown 3 and a new Prince TFV12 which I remember working at some point but sort of have amnesia and they don't produce any vapor unless I get to higher wattage and then I can't continue as I am literally getting burnt by the heat.

I did buy a RDTA a Crave Aromamizer Supreme when I noticed the cost of coils was too much but the deck had a partition limiting coil sizes and they have come out with a revised one to solve that. I could get that to work though and work well as long as I used clapton coils. Non clapton coils never worked well for whatever reason. But I am looking for a tank that will both produce decent amounts of vapor and great flavor at a low cost.
$10 new so I have that. I like having multiple tanks ready to go so I can change flavors easily.

I see people on you tube videos using any of the tanks I have and are blowing out massive clouds. I am only using 3% nicotine and it is good I am off that habit but I also really can't feel any nicotine even if it is the first thing in the morning.
I took a hit off a friends set up that runs a vape shop with 3mg nic and could really feel it.

There are only so many parts to these things and I am at a loss to figure out where i am going wrong. I used to be able to fill up my room with vapor and now it is just not happening and I can't figure out why. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I’m not sure what tank to recommend but juice that is higher in vg will help clouds

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK

Are you saying you have a budget of $10 for a tank? If so, that's a hard one. A chinese vendor with free shipping is going to be your only option.
Using that $10 you could get the RBA for the BBB.
I would also recommend The Geekvape Ammit or Zeus. The Wotofo Serpent Mini and SMM are also good ones.
Lots of people are trying the Doggy Style tanks as well.
Problem is all of those will be more than $10.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
I have used several different well known brands of juice and most are 30/70. I see others on YouTube that are cloud chasers using that mix and using the same tanks as I am and getting room filling clouds.
It does make sense to me that the Crown 1 would work much better for me than the Crown 3 as the Crown 1 has so much smaller coils and a lot of tank. I think all of the Uwell tanks and coils look like they are much better designed and built than anything from Smok. None of my Smok tanks every have leaked a drop and it is easy to see why when one looks how they were built. BUT the Smok is what is working for me AND I can get a 5 pack of coils for $11 so it is economical for me to use. But at the moment even the BBB is not producing nearly the vapor it can at times. The ohm readings on my mod are reasonably accurate to what coil is in it and I always have high end fresh batteries. It might make more vapor production but I don't think I should have to find some Max VG juice just to get a tank to work decent.

• Optimistic

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
Are you saying you have a budget of $10 for a tank? If so, that's a hard one. A chinese vendor with free shipping is going to be your only option.
Using that $10 you could get the RBA for the BBB.
I would also recommend The Geekvape Ammit or Zeus. The Wotofo Serpent Mini and SMM are also good ones.
Lots of people are trying the Doggy Style tanks as well.
Problem is all of those will be more than $10.

LOL NO if you look at the list of tanks I currently own and am trying to use (and I left several out) it cost a lot more than $10. I was just mentioning that the mod I use is a Smok Mag but I JUST BOUGHT A BACK UP COUNCIL OF VAPE TEMPEST MOD NEW FOR $10.

I have to wonder if there is some reason I am not getting better performance out of the many things I already have. Or why it seems that even with everything perfect and new I don't seem to get the same performance as I did out of the list. Again the temperature change seems to make a difference but I think it is a bit too much.

I was happy with and planning on just buying more of the Big Baby Beast tanks as they seemed to work well at my low wattage and give me cool vapor and at least used to seem to produce a lot more of it. The wattage recommendations are pretty close to what I use them at. The Nunchaku does too and also does not put out much vapor for me however.

I could buy another tank if it hopefully worked with my mod and would give me that cool vapor and decent vapor clouds and have easy to find inexpensive coils. That keeps my overall costs down.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
Someone suggested a Tobeco Super Tank to me but to use Aspire Atlantis coils.
I really think that the low wattage tanks I have should be working for me.
Putting that aside for a moment if I were to buy something new I would hope to get it without too much expensie and also have the coils widely available and not too costly either. I don't want to have a new tank come out and not have the coils supported any longer. That is one thing I get with the BBB, inexpensive coils.

Are these sub ohm tanks that you are talking about? I have recently spent a bit too much money on vaping supplies and need to make sure my mod is going to be compatible with any tank and coil specs I may end up trying if I can't figure out what what I have is not working better at the moment.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
If you want one that uses pre built coils, the Supertank is a really good inexpensive one. It also uses a wide range of coils that are cheap and can be found just about anywhere.
The tanks I mentioned above are RTAs that you will have to build your own coils for.
The Uwell Crown series of tanks are also some good ones.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
The Subtank Mini is also an oldie but a goodie that can be had now for about $10 and offers a lot of coil options. The Crown tanks and the Subtank Mini also offer an RBA if you want to start making your own coils to tailor them to your style of vaping.
There's also the Atlantis or Nautilus tanks. Not my style but a lot of people loved them.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
If you want one that uses pre built coils, the Supertank is a really good inexpensive one. It also uses a wide range of coils that are cheap and can be found just about anywhere.
The tanks I mentioned above are RTAs that you will have to build your own coils for.
The Uwell Crown series of tanks are also some good ones.

I have the Crown 1 which works pretty well. The Crown 3 I expected a lot from but it requires such high wattage I literally can't use it without getting burnt. The Crown 3 doesn't leak and seems really well engineered but I can't get it to work with the low wattage. The Crown 1 is much better for that.

I had not heard of the Supertank before it was brought up and perhaps that might be a decent thing to try.
Not quite sure what ohm coils would be wisest for my purposes.

My last Big Baby Beast did come with a RBA head along with 2 pre made coils and a regular size extra glass and a taller extra glass to use with the RBA.

But my Crave Aromamizer Supreme is a much better unit if I want to start building my own coils.
It has juice tank flow control and lots of well designed features. I thought I would save on coils by buying that. I found that I really did not have the time to mess with that and just found some online dealers that sell coils at very low prices. US dealers with real product. Maybe in the future as Crave still makes extra parts for that cheap and also offers a new deck that is improved so the coil size is not so limited as it used to be.

I like having 2 buck coils that work well and when they are done I can just toss them. There are a couple I can even clean and easily reuse should I choose to.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
I sort of messed up my original post..sorry. The tanks I am actually using at the moment are the Big Baby Beast two of them, a Cleito and a Nunchaku. Also the Crown 1 at times.

The tanks I have that are not working well for me but that I have coils for and have to think they worked in the past at some time are the Valarian the Crown 3 and the TFV12 Prince. And am not using the Crave Aromamizer Supreme for reasons stated.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
VG + deep hard pulls = cloud production. I don't think your gear is the problem, more likely your perception of your clouds is the culprit. Remember the yt videos are well lit and edited.
Well yes for sure I have thought about my technique too. And I am not just looking to chase clouds as it may seem but to not blow out as much vapor as a pull on a cigarette is not how things have worked in the past.

Really to get a really hard pull on many of these tanks I would have to close down the air holes some as I would have no resistance. But I guess I am suggesting that with the tanks I listed like the BBB and those I actually use they are capable of producing a good amount of vapor or am I wrong?

Kind of off topic but I had my Mag mod with tank in my front jacket pocket and somehow not being locked it ramped up to the full 225 watts. I casually took it out to take a hit and I really did not have to try hard as a burning hot explosion of vapor shot in to my mouth like a beast from hell. Fortunately I got off the trigger fast to avoid serious burns. Not at all fun for me.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
If you want creamy clouds get some tamer coils so you can take longer deeper pulls.
Sorry but not sure what you mean by "tamer coils". As I am sure you know for example with the BBB tank I can get them with 1 big hole in the middle to 5 holes surrounding the outside of the top and depending on the coil choice it will alter the ease of draw. And the ohm will change to.

What are you suggesting? Again it is odd to me that I have had much better performance in the past with the same hardware. I know someone who just got a Priv mechanical with a small baby tank on it and known nothing about vaping but it is putting out decent amounts of vapor and I have seen some of his used coils which look like they have so much black buildup it could not possibly taste good.

Not sure if it is me or the tanks or the juice. Just frustrating. If I don't figure it out I might take my stuff in to a vape shop near me where I know the owner and employees well and have them try out the stuff and see what they find. There is just so few things going on with this it should not be this hard to get to work or that I would not have noticed right off that I was not getting what I wanted. I apopreciate the help though.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Not sure you want to go down the RTA route but my advise...

Buy a Vboy GTRS mod, that's a dual 18650 mod. Get some Sony VTC 5A batteries, preferably four of them and a decent external charger.

Pop a Freemax Fireluke tank on there with the 0.15ohm DVC premade coil. This tank also comes with a rebuildable deck you can swap out (RBA) which more or less turns it into a RTA.

You just can't go wrong with the above.. Get a nice high VG juice and come back and thank me later...

Sorted.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Sorry but not sure what you mean by "tamer coils". As I am sure you know for example with the BBB tank I can get them with 1 big hole in the middle to 5 holes surrounding the outside of the top and depending on the coil choice it will alter the ease of draw. And the ohm will change to.

What are you suggesting? Again it is odd to me that I have had much better performance in the past with the same hardware. I know someone who just got a Priv mechanical with a small baby tank on it and known nothing about vaping but it is putting out decent amounts of vapor and I have seen some of his used coils which look like they have so much black buildup it could not possibly taste good.

Not sure if it is me or the tanks or the juice. Just frustrating. If I don't figure it out I might take my stuff in to a vape shop near me where I know the owner and employees well and have them try out the stuff and see what they find. There is just so few things going on with this it should not be this hard to get to work or that I would not have noticed right off that I was not getting what I wanted. I apopreciate the help though.
Number 1, if someone you know just got a "mechanical" and put a tank on it and doesn't know squat about ohms law or battery safety, that is a huge no no!
2nd, the tanks are not the problem as much as the coils and what you expect out of them. Those are sub ohm coils in most of those tanks, the crown 1 has a 1.something coil that is not. The lower the resistance of the coil generally the more wattage it takes to fire it, and they are made for direct lung hitting, more vapor. It sounds like mostly what would suit you is a coil ( for any tank ) that is over .5 ohm. Lower wattage than say a .3 or .2 coil would need, will need a little less airflow, still plenty of vapor for many...

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Well yes for sure I have thought about my technique too. And I am not just looking to chase clouds as it may seem but to not blow out as much vapor as a pull on a cigarette is not how things have worked in the past.

Really to get a really hard pull on many of these tanks I would have to close down the air holes some as I would have no resistance. But I guess I am suggesting that with the tanks I listed like the BBB and those I actually use they are capable of producing a good amount of vapor or am I wrong?

Kind of off topic but I had my Mag mod with tank in my front jacket pocket and somehow not being locked it ramped up to the full 225 watts. I casually took it out to take a hit and I really did not have to try hard as a burning hot explosion of vapor shot in to my mouth like a beast from hell. Fortunately I got off the trigger fast to avoid serious burns. Not at all fun for me.
High wattage and vapor production requires more airflow and for you to hit it hard to keep the vape cool.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
Number 1, if someone you know just got a "mechanical" and put a tank on it and doesn't know squat about ohms law or battery safety, that is a huge no no!
2nd, the tanks are not the problem as much as the coils and what you expect out of them. Those are sub ohm coils in most of those tanks, the crown 1 has a 1.something coil that is not. The lower the resistance of the coil generally the more wattage it takes to fire it, and they are made for direct lung hitting, more vapor. It sounds like mostly what would suit you is a coil ( for any tank ) that is over .5 ohm. Lower wattage than say a .3 or .2 coil would need, will need a little less airflow, still plenty of vapor for many...

He got a Priv with a baby beast. I have been trying to help him out with things but he has some store he goes to. I am sure he is paying big money for things.
I had to really straighten him out when we were talking about cleaning coils to recycle them and someone he knows uses chemicals like carburetor cleaner to clean things. I am hoping he will quit smoking but is not around genius level people. He is a carpenter and is a bit slow. He has had to be told to not vape in line in a grocery store. He is an odd one.
His coils are way too far gone to be recycled. I have been able to do that with Crown 1 coils and got a second life and probably could with the mesh coils. I just used hot water and tried vodka which is crazy expensive in my State from taxes. But I just find cheap sources to buy new ones and toss old ones.

It is interesting that if I were to build coils for my Crave I would really need to get them in a certain range to work well. With the premade coils in my BBB I can leave it at the same wattage for a .15 or a .4 without too huge a difference.

And as I mentioned performance changes. I just took a hit off the 2 mods with tanks beside me and got a decent amount of vapor from the same thing that was not earlier.
I really think that the ambient temperature has an affect on this.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
High wattage and vapor production requires more airflow and for you to hit it hard to keep the vape cool.
Yes. I am really just comparing the same gear with how it has performed in the past.
But I might but one tank that is generally agreed to be the best for lower wattage flavor and cloud production. If it worked for me I would buy more.

FDA is making it difficult to try before you buy but if the local store carried what I was wanting to test I could probably do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread