Status
Not open for further replies.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I had a PV start smoking once...something inside (assume the wires) must have shorted out and it was burning. I saw right away something was wrong because there was smoke coming out of places smoke should not have had been coming out from. I pulled out the batteries, which were unharmed and NOT at fault. Not even warm. It was something ...a chip? a wire? inside the upper part of the PV, and not in the battery compartment.

EDIT...but when I was smoking I lit a pillow on my bed on fire one time. And lots of times I lit the cushions on my sofa. I have had several sofas, as a result. Sigh.

Last edited:

Patrick O'Brien

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
MN
I think its like with any battery operated electronic, fluke accidents have occurred. You can google it and see many people have had their laptop batteries blow up, Ego batteries, and even cell phones. The common denominator is that in each of these stories, the products were always cheap knock offs or being used in an unsafe way. The guy who had his ecig battery blow up had a knock off and he had modded it in a way that it became dangerous. Some people need to toy with their electronics, which I never understood. Never buy anything from China!!! lol. Also, to be safe, I never leave mine charging when I am not present or awake because I would die if anything happened to my cat (he is my version of a kid). I like the coffee can idea though for any of you who feel the need to buy off ebay or from asian countries.

BostLabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ. USA
Hmm... I did almost burn down my house ON SEVERAL OCCATIONS when I smoked cigarettes, but no problems with any ecig related stuff.

I've almost set dogs and cats on fire with a dropped cherry. I've burned holes in many a shirt and pants (once a shoe). Burn spots on tables/carpet. But I've been using battery changers for years and never had an issue with them. E-cigs are no different as far as charging them.

BostLabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ. USA
The carpet burns from real cigs. :blink: i am glad those days are gone. I have read here that it is a possibility. One person had the idea of recharging in a coffee can just in case. Well, peace of mind for us scardy cats.

Ummm make sure that it is well ventilated. You are trapping heat and that is not good. :)

Perhaps cutting some slots/holes would do the trick.

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
Never buy anything from China!!!

I agree with most of what you said - apart from this! I notice that you're using eGo batteries and Vivi Novas. Where do you think they come from? Sure - the QC on some of these products is a bit...meh, but it would be nigh on impossible to avoid chinese products altogether. You just need to do your research and buy from a reputable vendor who sources direct from the manufacturer.

JJ

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
Ummm make sure that it is well ventilated. You are trapping heat and that is not good. :)

Perhaps cutting some slots/holes would do the trick.

Yes! top off! I have thought of that. Thank you for mentioning it. Just somthing that it would be easier to handle if the worst happens. I do mine in the kitchen and rest them hanging over the edge by their conective cord. Like I said I am a scardy cat...

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Before tobacco companies were forced to make regular cigarettes "safer" by putting themselves out to avoid burns, I never had any problems with burnt holes on clothes, furniture, etc. After the "FDA is going to save you from yourself" regulations on cigarettes, I would pick up my cigarette from the ashtray and on the way to my mouth or even while I was drawing from it in my mouth, the whole lit wad of tobacco would dislodge from the cigarette and fall on my clothes or furniture. I had to get that out there for some reason...

In the 14 months I've been vaping, I've never had any mishaps with my batteries. I put such incidents together with the chances of a flashlight catching on fire while being lit; and, with cell phones exploding while I'm using them touching my ear and my face/head. Heck, cell phones have been accused of causing brain tumors!

Not saying it wouldn't happen, but what are the chances of all these things malfunctioning to such an extent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread