fired for vaping??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kookacola

Oct 20, 2009
My boss saw me on a security camera vaping and fired me. The company has a no tobacco products policy. I tried explaining to him that I wasn't smoking, that it was only water vapor. I even showed him the e-cigs. he told me that corporate said it didn't matter.
I think this is kind of ridiculous since I didn't even get a warning. especially since it was my first offense (of any kind) and other people make a habit of coming into work late every other day. Yet they chose to single me out for something that isn't even against policy??
I am very frustrated and any advice other than don't vape at work (kinda figured that one out) would be appreciated.

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
My boss saw me on a security camera vaping and fired me. The company has a no TOBACCO products policy. I tried explaining to him that I wasn't smoking, that it was only water vapor. I even showed him the e-cigs. he told me that corporate said it didn't matter.
I think this is kind of ridiculous since I didn't even get a warning. especially since it was my first offense (of any kind) and other people make a habit of coming into work late every other day. Yet they chose to single me out for something that isn't even against policy??
I am very frustrated and any advice other than don't vape at work (kinda figured that one out) would be appreciated.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. That seems pretty harsh since you've never had any problems before. We're you in a break area or something like that or was it at your desk or wherever you work? Not that it matters, but I'm just curious. I'm assuming you were inside, although the way some companies are doing things these days, who knows. I've heard of some who even prohibit tobacco use on your off time.

Does your company have a human resources department or something that you could make an appeal to and maybe get reinstated? Other than going up the chain of command a bit further, I don't know what recourse you have. Maybe someone else in here will have some advice along those lines. I'm wondering if it was even legal; it's not technically a 'tobacco product' since that hasn't been determined yet.

I guess the thing to have done is to try to explain what it is to your employer before using them, a good lesson for all of us, but it doesn't help you much.

Again, I'm sorry that your boss reacted so strongly. I hope that you either get it worked out or find another job soon. Hang in there & good luck.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
If you want to fight it, write a letter to corporate and tell them the FDA has deemed these "drug delivery devices" and not a tobacco product. :rolleyes:

A trucker in the UK got fired (and a ticket) for supposedly using an e-cig on the job. His e-cig vendor offered to help him fight it in court - maybe look into it.

Either way, go above your boss' head - try HR and then start making phone calls. Make a point that you are getting fired for using a device that helped you quit smoking!

NickWgnr

Oct 20, 2009
SoYoCO, PA
Id talk to an attorney to see if that was at all legal for them to do (which Im guessing wasn't)... If the attorney says that you may have a case then go to your work and try to talk to them about it... If they don't want to hear it then tell them they can hear it from your attorney... Either they will give you your job back to save a lawsuit or go to court and get you paid, haha... I think the best course here, again, is to get an attorney if not atleast talk to one.

Wagner :shock:

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Kookacola, alot depends on your state and I recommend you contact your local labor board with this "no tobacco" policy via employee handbook in hand. You may be surprised how many rights you have and the fact remains that if e-cigs were not in the terminology included in developing policy, you may have a case.

Be warned alot of these cases are viewed not as a violation of policy but engaging in a recreational activity while supposed to be working. Not fair I know! Sorry!

I would get a lawyer, Do the local labor board, wage and hour also if you were denied any time or kept track of the infractions.
Get Dr. note stating due to the conditions of the work enviroment, he recomended you get a PV to assist in lowering the risk of lung and throat irritation.

Winace

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Seek legal council definately. I doubt you will have a problem finding a "smoking" attorney (pun intended). As far as this being a recreational activity... well, the way I see it is if you were vaping while working you are more productive than standing outside smoking an analog. Many work places pass out candy and such as a reward, would eating it at your desk be viewed as a recreational activity? You have a case, and I'd fight it or die trying!

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
If you live in a state that has "work at will" policy, the employer doesn't need a reason to let someone go.
They may not need a reason, but the employer gave a reason. Had he simply fired him "at will" then really nothing can work. However, the firing is now based upon a very specific reason, so I believe that changes the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread