First attempts at micro-coil builds (Igo L & W) - Pointers, please??? (& Thank You)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
:D
So... I wrapped my first two coils tonight on the Igo L & Igo W decks (used L-cap for both, since they're single coils - not tryin to leap into dual coils on initial attempts).
Igo W-L Twisted Java & Zombie Apocalypse BLISS.jpg
(to be COMPLETELY honest - these are really my 3rd & 4th coils, since I wrapped one for my Kidney Puncher "Choice" RDA & one for my Trident clone a week or so ago, but those don't count, due to the fact that the holes in the Trident clone are ALL outta whack:
Largest hole.jpg Second largest hole.jpg
and the dude I bought it off of on eBay said to send it back & he'd machine it properly for me... I have not the tools right now, since ALL my tools were jacked in Orlando awhile back.
PLUS the Kidney Puncher "Choice" holes sit WAY DOWN AT THE BOTTOM (no pic), but it places them :glare:conveniently:glare: up against the BOTTOM o-ring on the deck... freakin insanely disappointing beginning to RDA's:blink:)
... ENTER the Igo L & W I should've just gotten in the FIRST PLACE & spared myself some pain & suffering.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
So, here's what we will henceforth refer to as my first coil on the Igo L:
12-wrap single 28-gauge (in Igo L)#1.jpg 12-wrap single 28-gauge (in Igo L)#2.jpg
It's 12 wraps of 28-gauge Kanthal (2.0 oHms) with some CVS sterile rolled USP cotton.

I tried to bring it in real tight to the posts because I've read a lot about how that'll help me avoid "hot legs".

But it's been in the back of my mind that Mr. RiP Trippers said in one of his little U-TooB extravaganzas (think it was for the Trident) something to the effect that he leaves longer legs on there with the micro-coil to bring the coil closer to the hole... "Closer to the Hole = More Flavor" (or Vapor??? - I don't remember)... just curious about that bit of knowledge if anyone'd like to confirm or deny.

So... here's some pics of my very first set-up (Igo L with Halo's "Twisted Java":p).
Awesome!!!
Tell me how I can make it Awesomer.:toast:

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
10-wrap single in Igo W (with Igo L cap)#1.jpg 10-wrap single in Igo W (with Igo L cap)#2.jpg 10-wrap single in Igo W (with Igo L cap)#3 with cotton.jpg
Is that a proper wick setup?
(took a pic of it dry to see if I've got the right idea on laying cotton in there... SEEKING ADVICE, so don't hold back if it's severely idiotic!):blink:

10 wraps with 28-gauge Kanthal (1.6 oHms) + CVS rolled sterile USP cotton... (I'm kind of concerned about vaping with cotton, and am foolishly taking the easy way out here with this stuff, and I'm sure many will recommend Organic cotton balls -Boiled- ???)

Last edited:

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Here's some shots with some AiV "Zombie Apocalypse".:vapor::w00t::drool:
Any and all help/advice/constructive criticism would be appreciated.
Thanks for yer time.:toast:
10-wrap single in Igo W (with Igo L cap)#4.jpg 10-wrap single in Igo W (with Igo L cap)#5.jpg

*Edit*
I'm using my new SVD with an AW IMR 18490.
I've got 2 of those (also have 2 18650's, but I'd like to be able to rotate those 2 with my new iTaste 134 which I only use for tanks right now, since it has no oHm-reader-screen).
Would I noticeably benefit from using 18650's on the SVD - other than battery life?

Just entered into APV's with the SVD & 134 a couple weeks ago after starting with the Halo Triton system 2 months ago.

Last edited:

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
As far as airflow goes, you need air to pass directly over the coil to make vapor. Many RDAs are set up, so as you take a drag, you suck the air over the coils.

As far as making the legs longer to get the coil closer to the hole, that is a matter for experimentation,. I have never used the trident. I don't know.

Spacedoutart

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Buffalo NY
Yes. If you are looking for flavor, vapor, and clouds; then this microcoil with cotton setup is for you. I use the same Igo-L as my daily dripper. I set it up with 30 gauge kanthal wire wrapped around something close to 1/16th diameter. Give it only 6/7 wraps; it will ohm out around 1.3 ohms. Make sure you leave room on the legs of the coil to make sure you can get it to be close to the hole without the coils shorting against the side of the deck or the top cap. coil.jpg

This is when you need to measure the ohms to make sure you are within a safe range of your battery. Test fire it and use a pair of tweezers to pinch the coil tightly. Then grab just a little bit of cotton. make sure you only give it a little bit of a twist so it stays together easier (too much twist and it will be too dense to wick properly) Insert a end of the cotton into the wick and slide it down to a point it can freely slide back and forth through the coil. Then trim the cotton ends and fluff a little bit. wick.jpg

Add juice until the wick in fully saturated and at max only add enough juice that the there is a little layer of liquid across the deck without touching the coil (flooding). Vape and enjoy!

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I would suggest closer to the rim (air source) rather than close to the posts. I would also use much less cotton.

TH can be adjusted by elevation of your coil in relation to your air hole.

If the coil is low, you will get less TH. If the coil is high you will get more TH. Tweak the elevation until Desired TH is attained :)

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Awesome.
Thanks guys.
Very concise - and EXACTLY the sort of knowledge I was lookin for.:toast:

And at the risk of sounding like TOO much of an idiot - since I'm using the SVD (as opposed to a mech) do I still want to bring the oHms down nice & low?
I prefer (NEED) a warm vape - and can't f:censored:cking stand BCC's like the Protank, after starting with the Halo Triton system (which basically uses 808D Kanger T2 top coils).
To be honest, I've been Really disappointed since getting the SVD as far as any clearos I've tried with it (Davide BDC's, Aspire ET-S's, Protank, iClear30, iClear30S) and have just received my first IBTanked... still waiting for the Ikenvape cartos for it, as well as a couple Pyrex V-Fate Vivi Novas.

Taste is so lacking to me, without the warmth behind the vape.
That's why I went crazy with the RDA's, as RDA's and RTA's/RBA's obviously have the best Flavor, which is my main concern.
Warm & Lots of Flavor.

I also splurged on a Tobeco Kayfun Lite/Russian 91% clone (with the airflow control) and am GREATLY looking forward to using it... just wanted to wet my feet with an RDA before firing that one up.

My Tobeco came with a couple 1.5oHm 2 x Silica wick prebuilts...
IS SILICA REALLY THAT LAME COMPARED TO COTTON???

Last edited:

Spacedoutart

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Buffalo NY
Silica is perfect wicking material for some people or certain devices designed just for it. There are a couple of types of silica. A fiberglass like kind (not good in my opinion) and a soft rope like kind (much better.) It is great for beginners as it will not burn or break if it is dry. This can allow you to properly learn how to gauge a DRY, SATURATED, AND OVER SATURATED wick from taste without worrying that you destroyed everything. Some people like this and continue using it a lot. Ekowool is best version of silica.

Stainless steel mess can be another wicking material. This is the main type of wick in a genesis atomizer. The flavor is very clean from this wick; however, proper setup can take some work. Due to the wick being stainless steel, the coil can short against the wick and hot spots are easier to develop.

Ceramic wicks is yet another wicking material. All I will say about them is they are very FRAGILE! That is all I will say about them because I have not ever got to play around with this kind yet.

Cotton wicks... Oh Cotton wicks... SO cheap, SO easy to replace, SO clean in flavor, SO Perfect of a wick (in my opinion.) Cotton can come from a few sources. Cotton balls, Raw cotton, qtips (real ones, not the glued on ones), butchers twine, etc, etc, etc... Providing you can make the density of the cotton right (cant really explain this one as its something you learn in time) they will give you perfect consistency every time in flavor and performance wise until its almost dry. This almost dry taste is very mild compared to other wicking material. They also have a couple of downfalls. You CAN NOT dry burn cotton. Its cotton... It will burn up... The wick will usually only last 3-5 days before needing to be pulled, dry burn the coil, and replace with new cotton. And the hardest thing to learn with cotton is the proper density needed. Too much and it will swell up with ejuice and get choked once it hits the coil. Choking prevents any juice from saturating the cotton that makes contact with the coil. Too little and parts of the coil will not be making contact with the wick. This will usually cause the whole top of the coil to glow red creating a harsh vape (not good at all)

Hybrid wicks are also out there too. They are created from using multiple types of wicks trying to gain benifits of certain materials. Each too many with many pros and cons.

I know there is more to each type but this is just what i can think up quickly for you to grab any info you wanted from.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Thanks, brother!
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the cotton density situation & making progress.
But I think I'm gonna get some of those Organic cotton balls instead of the CVS rolled USP sterile I'm taking the easy way out with right now.
I've done a ton of thread-hopping before getting started, and all I'm seeing is Cotton, Cotton, Cotton!
All of the chemicals used in cotton production are pretty alarming to me, as far as using it for a wick... and I can taste some nasty chemical component in the stuff I'm using now, be it real or imagined (I'm taking 9 or 10 puffs without inhaling when breaking in my new wicks, but still... it kinda freaks me out).

I had read all the millions of posts about using only Organic cotton balls, and being sure to boil them first - but also saw a ton of posts about this CVS USP Sterile rolled cotton being great.
So I decided to cut corners.

I also got a few feet of silica in 1mm and 2mm, as well as 3 feet of ekowool in 2mm hollow braid, 3mm hollow braid and I think 1.5 (or 2.5?) solid braid (also ekowool).

I know I've gotta boil that too, so I'll do it at the same time I'm boiling the Organic cotton balls when I get em.

I was just wondering if it really made that much difference in flavor (cotton), or if it just had to do with convenience.

Thanks for the help!:toast:

Spacedoutart

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Buffalo NY
You can boil them if you wanted for piece of mind, but i can tell you most of us don't boil cotton. Just use a piece from a cotton ball as they have a pretty close density that cotton wicks works well with. With silica and ekowool just heat it red with a torch or stove top.

But play around with everything. Everyone is different, everyone's taste is subjective. Just cause something works for me, doesn't mean you might find it enjoyable at all. Just keep playing around and learning what you like...

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Will do.
It's so nuts how there can't just be a few great delivery systems instead of a bunch of stuff that is Awesome to one person and Awful to the next.
If only life weren't so complicated.

As far as the boiling thing goes - that doesn't affect the flavor?
Torching it will get rid of that too?
I had read that most people boiled ekowool because it tastes nasty if you don't, and that you should also torch it to give it rigidity before wrapping with kanthal (and torch the kanthal so it loses its springiness before wrapping).

Truth is - the Fear Mongers posting all the horrifying data about how there's a gajillion toxic pesticides and such in the production of cotton got me all freaked-out.
That and all the "boiled only" Organic cotton ball users.
And all the other people saying "don't get 'bleached' cotton balls"!
"Watch out for hydrogen peroxide in yer cotton balls!"

These ideas seem valid to me, as does my concern (and others') about inhaling burning cotton.
To me, if you can TASTE the cotton so strongly when vaping (even when it's saturated) - that means yer breathing in combusted cotton, doesn't it?

Not to be a p.i.t.a., but I'm trying to avoid (as much as Possible) inhaling toxic nastiness into my body... and that's another reason I'm trying to move toward all pyrex/glass tanks.
Just seems whacko to inhale {potentially} melting plastic intentionally (not that it's ALWAYS melting or anything, but the mere concept of "tank crackers" shouldn't exist, should it?)

Ramblin on.
Thanks again @Spacedoutart

Spacedoutart

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Buffalo NY
Hahahaaha. I know what you mean on all the different types. Out of all the wicks I trust cotton the most. There are sooooooo many concerns about EVERY wick out there. Almost to a point you don't want to see... But I can tell you even the worse wick is better then smoking. I believe that any wick will add a little flavor to whatever you are vaping. I have found the least amount of added flavor with cotton. I have also found that cotton will have more of a "cotton" taste when the wick is too fat and slightly chocking the wick.

I strictly use cotton now. Silica gives me an off taste. Im too lazy to play with hot spots and shorting on ss mesh. Cotton is way easy to change out and replace vs other things. In my Igo-w I usually wrap my coils around a small screwdriver, install them then roll some cotton. Not too tight and not too lose. You have to remember cotton swells probably 3x the size it is when you roll it once its saturated. When you first put it threw the coils it should slide in relatively easy but not real lose either.

Personally when I first started using cotton, I thought WOW my juice never tasted this good or so complex, I could taste all the elements in my juices. Im a flavor chaser, and when it comes between silica (which if I remember right is pretty much fiberglass) vs Cotton, I think I would rather be using the cotton. But you gotta experiment, trial and error, over and over again... I have come to the conclusion that thats the only way to get what you want out of vaping. Sure beats the cig-a-likes we had back in the day....

Oh I dont boil the cotton either....just buy a two dollar bag of cotton balls at the pharmacy down the road. Organic is twice as much, and I suppose 4 dollars vs 2 dollars wouldnt be the end of the world. Considering a bag probably last you years. Have not had the problem of tasting the cotton taste your referring too. I get a nice clean flavor of whatever im vaping..

Last edited:

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Yeah, as I said the cotton taste - whether real or imagined is most likely a construct of my psyche.

It definitely exists at the beginning of a new wick setup... that can't be denied... but I am not usually one to fall prey to the whims of the Fear-Mongers... and I think they got me... at least a little.

F:censored:ck em... and f:censored:ck the bullsh:censored:t.
Life is great with cotton & tasty Liquids.

I smoked a couple Marlboros tonight and they tasted like what I would IMAGINE ... tastes like.

No experience in the ...-tasting department, so it's just a guess.:toast:

Vape on, and have a great day.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread