First Carto tank Issues :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

heroinesick

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Louisville, KY
Okay, what's the deal, y0?

I have heard NOTHING but excellent things when it comes to flavor in a carto tank. I already know how to troubleshoot the flooding that I inevitably did, as well as pretty much everything else.

However, I can't taste SQUAT with my carto tank. Same flavor in a Protank 2 and I have no issues at all? I don't understand.

What am I doin wrong here? It's not burny tasting, or flooded or even gurgling. Just..bland. :(

...and that makes me a sad panda.

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
What kind of carto are you using? I use these......Boge F16 510 DCT Single Coil Cartomizer

I like them cause even though they are xl size they only have the same amount of filler of a standard which is all you need anyway. Takes only 20 drops to prime it too. Last me through a 30 ml of juice before I toss it.

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
Well... i did the carto-thing for a while.

You could go through testing different cartomizers. Boges, Smoktek dual-coils (my fav), Ikenvape etc...
You might find something that hits the spot for you, you may not.

I really liked my smok dual-coils for the decent vape, the crackle & the convenience, but trying bottom-coil RBAs a la Kayfun/Taifun retired my carto-tanks for good. It is much more tasty to me. But the best vape for my taste i get from dripping in 510s/RDAs/squonking.

heroinesick

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Louisville, KY
It appears to be an F16 style carto.. didn't say what sort of carto that it is ( bought it as a whole item.. carto + tank.) so I'm not really sure.

See, I've always found bottom coils to be somewhat flavorless for me.. I mean, tolerable being that I've used them for months and months, but I really preferred the Vivi Novas. That just had a wonderful taste for me.. maybe I'm crazy? I haven't tried an RBA or RDA yet, so I'm not real sure about those.

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
Not crazy at all...

The Vivi still has many fans. If you're into top-coils that just might be the ticket. Rebuildable as well.

But i'd really try some different cartos for your tank... there's a lot of difference how they vape...
However I think it is fair to say that they are closer to bbc/bottom-coil type of vapor than to top-coils.

If you decide to go down the route of rebuildables i would suggest an RDA first for the easiest
building and then something that resembles your favorite standard setup. Since you like Vivis
something like this kruserOne² Edelstahl Pur | kruserOne² | Das kruserSystem | kruserShop.de
just might be the ticket. Works like a vivi basically. Didn't go for it personally, cause i got hooked on
those kayfun-style atties. Bottom-coil... but i still think the flavor really pops on these.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
If you are using a juice with a high percentage of VG try a Smoktech single coil carto. The filler material is different from the Boges and I find the Smoktechs to be excellent carto tank performers with 95% VG. They do need to be properly punched, though.

Which brings up the subject of holes in carto for carto tank tank use. Whether drilled, laser zapped, slotted or punched the holes are crucial to vapor quality from a carto tank set-up. I want enough surface area from those holes to allow maximum saturation of the carto just short of flooding. That's where the best vapor production will be found. Finding that sweet spot requires experimentation. I found that a good carto punching tool like the Siam Mods V2 from Phiniac allowed me to fine tune carto saturation for the best vapor production.

For my 95% VG DIY juice, I'm using four good sized punched holes in a Smoktech single coil at 1.8 to 2.0 ohms and 6.5 watts. I punch them all low on the carto.

4holespunched.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are differences between cartomizer brands. Each can have an effect on flavor and vapor production. Some also believe there is a difference in dual vs single coils. Don't give up on cartotanks based only on one cartomizer used, or with only one brand of cartomizer.

To make things easier, there basically are only four brands of cartomizers: Boge, Ikenvape, Smoktech, and generics.

The resistance (ohm) that you use can have a huge effect on flavor and vapor, too.

Some juice flavors will taste remarkably different in different juice attachments. Top or bottom coil clearomizers or cartotanks. Preferences will differ from one individual to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread