First coil - tuning for flavor advice wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
One of the on line vendors recently had a 'mod mystery box' for $40. Ended up with 454 Big Block rda and a 4Nine clone. Picked up a charger, 2nd battery and a roll of 26 gauge kanthal at my local B&M. Then Sally Beauty for some rayon and was planing on Michale's for the rolling tool like in the video. Ran out of time so ended up wrapping by hand around a 1/16th drill bit shank.
FirstCoilDry.jpg
FirstCoil.jpg
Don't think it looks bad for a first try and the vapor production is more than adequate. Very disappointed in flavor but it is at least a tiny improvement over a nautilus mini. Ohms out at 1.5 but might be a tiny bit lower since a store bought coil that is supposed to be 1.5 reads 1.7 on that meter. Have a newer meter some where and will compare readings as soon as I find it. Both are ~$20 so not ideal for this but still better than a $5 flea market meter.

Seen several recommendations for 29 gauge here recently. If that is what I need for flavor will try to get some next week on my day off. Much larger B&M a few towns south of here that probably carries more than three sizes.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
coil placement plays a big role, no matter what the atty being used i will try to get the coil as close to the air intake hole as possible, but you must check the ohms with the cap on to make sure the cap isnt actually touching, if it is your reading will be slightly off.
As for wire i would use 26g for a coil around the 0.8Ω Mark and maybe 30g for your 1.5Ω.
If it was me i would buy 32g then you have the option of either single strands or you could twist two strands together and make a coil with that :) your 1/16 or 1.5mm id is good for flavour, you could also buy one of those wire wrapping pens to get yourself some nice tight wraps.

Last edited:

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Thanks! Will try both suggestions, a lower ohm with the 26g and pick up some 32 for a twisty wire coil. Safety wire pliers work for the initial twisting? Have not researched them at all but have seen pictures of the final result. Wire wrapper I'm looking for is the one that works like a tiny hand cranked lathe. Saw one used in a video and immediately saw the logic of it verses other styles.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Seen several recommendations for 29 gauge here recently. If that is what I need for flavor will try to get some next week on my day off. Much larger B&M a few towns south of here that probably carries more than three sizes.

I love 29ga, because it's sturdier than 30ga (coils last longer without deforming), but heats up much faster than 28, even with coils wrapped to exactly the same resistance.

I always leave a bit of space in my wraps; I use either organic cotton or rayon, either is good for good flavor. Less airflow, for mouth-to-lung hits, is what I prefer by far, because a) it makes mouth-to-lung possible and satisfying, and b) it gives the very best flavor. Of course with less airflow, the coils shouldn't be too hot/low resistance, and there doesn't need to be a lot of wattage; I vape at 10-ish watts, occasionally as high as 11w, but no higher.

Andria

toucandan229

Dec 11, 2014
South GA, USA
Wow man you got me looking at this mystery box. Definately going to have to take my chances! Better chances with this than any lottery ticket and I do love my lottery tickets lol, as for the coil I love 28 gauge for flavor. Just recently bought some 24 gauge to try the sub ohm builds around .2ohm and its just too hot for my taste. I find that 6 wraps on a 2mm micro screwdriver (dual coil) of 28 gauge gives me a stellar vape. Comes out to around .47 ohms avg and I use yosh vapergate's method of wicking.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
One of the on line vendors recently had a 'mod mystery box' for $40. Ended up with 454 Big Block RDA and a 4Nine clone. Picked up a charger, 2nd battery and a roll of 26 gauge kanthal at my local B&M. Then Sally Beauty for some rayon and was planing on Michale's for the rolling tool like in the video. Ran out of time so ended up wrapping by hand around a 1/16th drill bit shank.Don't think it looks bad for a first try and the vapor production is more than adequate. Very disappointed in flavor but it is at least a tiny improvement over a Nautilus mini. Ohms out at 1.5 but might be a tiny bit lower since a store bought coil that is supposed to be 1.5 reads 1.7 on that meter. Have a newer meter some where and will compare readings as soon as I find it. Both are ~$20 so not ideal for this but still better than a $5 flea market meter.

Kanthal A1
gauge ----- watt per ohm (per coil) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.4
32 ----- 3
30 ----- 6
28 ----- 10
26 ----- 23
24 ----- 45
22 ----- 91
20 ----- 182

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Current might be a more intuitive way of thinking about it.

gauge ----- current (Amps) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.2
32 ----- 1.7
30 ----- 2.4
28 ----- 3
26 ----- 5
24 ----- 7
22 ----- 10
20 ----- 13
according to my estimates, for 26 gauge you'd want about 5 amps
at 4 volts that works out to be 0.8 ohm.

for 29 gauge you'd want around .... 4 amps I guess.
that works out to about 1 ohm.

If you had a vv or vw mod with enough power you could just adjust to suit. A 1.5 ohm 26 gauge would need something like 23 watts.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
One of the on line vendors recently had a 'mod mystery box' for $40. Ended up with 454 Big Block RDA and a 4Nine clone. Picked up a charger, 2nd battery and a roll of 26 gauge kanthal at my local B&M. Then Sally Beauty for some rayon and was planing on Michale's for the rolling tool like in the video. Ran out of time so ended up wrapping by hand around a 1/16th drill bit shank.Don't think it looks bad for a first try and the vapor production is more than adequate. Very disappointed in flavor but it is at least a tiny improvement over a Nautilus mini. Ohms out at 1.5 but might be a tiny bit lower since a store bought coil that is supposed to be 1.5 reads 1.7 on that meter. Have a newer meter some where and will compare readings as soon as I find it. Both are ~$20 so not ideal for this but still better than a $5 flea market meter.

Looks good, you should be proud making your own coils, and they work......my first were not that good looking........:)

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Wow man you got me looking at this mystery box. Definately going to have to take my chances! Better chances with this than any lottery ticket and I do love my lottery tickets lol,

Vendor was mfs but this sale was over a week ago so is most likely over.

according to my estimates, for 26 gauge you'd want about 5 amps
at 4 volts that works out to be 0.8 ohm.

for 29 gauge you'd want around .... 4 amps I guess.
that works out to about 1 ohm.

If you had a vv or vw mod with enough power you could just adjust to suit. A 1.5 ohm 26 gauge would need something like 23 watts.

Still trying to wrap my head around the chart you posted. It makes sense in a way, but seems to contradict stuff I'm reading in other threads. Want to get a vw mod, its just not at the top of my 'whats next' list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread