• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

First experience with a MAJOR anti smoker...and it was family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

miakauisan

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
So...On a plus side..1 MONTH ANALOG FREE!!!!!

On another plus...I pet a wallaby at the fair today. Good god it was cute.

And now...the down. So I went to the fair with my mother and grandmother...my grandmother is one of those MAJOR anti smokers...like the kind that nag you...a lot... Anyway. My mom went to go smoke a cigarette so I went off with her to use my PV and to tout the wonders of the device in hopes of converting her :D. My grandma came up noticed my "cigarette" looked different...Of course, she asked what it was and I explained. Almost immediately she started saying "Good lord that smells horrid! Ugh! How can you stand to breathe in that stink?!" (with the scrunched up nose and everything) I explained that it has no real smell and that the only discernible smell might be considered caramel-y. Nope. She wasn't having it. "I don't care what its supposed to smell like, it stinks! I don't understand why you two don't just quit! I couldn't stand to smell like that ALL the time!" I explained that I have, more or less, quit...explained that I've stopped smoking what my mother currently was puffing on, explained how much safer it was and how much better I felt. Again. Wouldn't have it. "You just found a prettier way of doing it. And it still stinks. You're still inhaling that crap, you're still addicted and you're still killing yourself.

At that point I smiled and nodded and decided not to mention anything else. (I also relegated myself to vaping in the fair bathrooms...I don't want to discuss that...) In reality I felt like crying my eyes out. My grandmother is the most important person to me in regards to my family. Of all people I expected her to be proud that I've, at least, chosen a better alternative to "cancer sticks"

Regardless. I still intend on vaping. It just sucks that my grandmother reacted in such a negative way.

1 month, yay!

Neo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ...off the analogs for years!
I'm sorry her reaction was so hurtful to you. You've accomplished something terrific being one month analog free.

I'm not your Grams but I'm proud of you regardless.

Afraid this sounds like a situation where you just aren't going to win the battle (or the war) at this point. Perhaps you can give it another shot in a bit of time when your Mom isn't around with her smelly analogs. That might have just set up the no win situation with your Grandmother.

Dunno. Just a thought.

miakauisan

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Neo. My mom and dad were actually quite proud of me...they were a little shocked (at least my mom was...i expected this outcome) to hear that i was smoking in the first place but were happy to see i found something to get off analogs.

My father was really intriuged...i guess he fell victim to "smoke assassin" a few months back...ordered the FREE!!! product...got 70 bucks ripped from him and then never saw it. But he was already inline with the concept and wanted a few websites to look up info on.

After explaining it to my mom...she saw it as more of a nifty toy to use when she couldn't smoke a regular cig. I don't think I need to explain that further....

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
People still think that the nicotine is what causes health problems. They will always associate nicotine with cigarettes...

Chalk it up to not knowing anything about this new product and conveying her fears (albeit poorly) for you both since to her you both are doing the same thing.

My mother still asks me when I'm going to quit. Sighhhh.

Add me to being proud of you too!! Quitting IS a big deal, and using an e-cig IS quitting.

miakauisan

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks guys ^^. Ya'll definitely help in difficult times. Warm and fuzzy feelings all around. :D

And now for more warm and fuzzy. I give you, the wallabies. :D

102909165224.jpg

And another one with a baby:

102909165923.jpg

Isn't it just cute overload? If that can't cheer up someones day I dunno what will.

desrtrat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My wife is kinda like your Grandmother in regards to say "it stinks", but I think it's all psychological on her part. She didn't even know I was doing it until she SAW the vape one day (even though I'd been vaping constantly only a few feet away) and started going into her fake "coughing" routine waving her hand in front of her face... knowing that this was a 'pick your battles' moment...I just rolled my eyes and ignored her hahaha....

In regards to your wallaby pictures...very cute!! But then again..so was the little white bunny rabbit in Holy Grail...."It's just a little bunny rabbit Come on!!"....*goes to grab holy hand grenade*

miakauisan

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My wife is kinda like your Grandmother in regards to say "it stinks", but I think it's all psychological on her part. She didn't even know I was doing it until she SAW the vape one day (even though I'd been vaping constantly only a few feet away) and started going into her fake "coughing" routine waving her hand in front of her face... knowing that this was a 'pick your battles' moment...I just rolled my eyes and ignored her hahaha....

In regards to your wallaby pictures...very cute!! But then again..so was the little white bunny rabbit in Holy Grail...."It's just a little bunny rabbit Come on!!"....*goes to grab holy hand grenade*

Yea...I think I remember reading a post a while back where some chick's mother in law was the nagging type...she and her husband were talking about buying a grape flavor and the mother in law came through the house and started complaining about the horrible grape smell. ...apparently she was vaping coffee at the time.

CrazyTerrie11

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
W. Valley/Phoenix Arizona USA
Kudos to all of us who quit the REAL STINKers. We know were OK. Thats all that matters. A toast to us......let them spin in thier little circles, stomping thier little feet and wasting all that precious oxygen whining about smell. I know 100% that if these smelled in any way bad, or even slightly awful my boyfriend would most surely have said something. He is a total anti-stink protester and he loves that I quit the analogs and he loves that "I dont stink anymore" his words exactly. Unless I dont shower, then yeah I stink....LOL

CrazyTerrie11

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
W. Valley/Phoenix Arizona USA
Thanks guys ^^. Ya'll definitely help in difficult times. Warm and fuzzy feelings all around. :D

And now for more warm and fuzzy. I give you, the wallabies. :D

102909165224.jpg

And another one with a baby:

102909165923.jpg

Isn't it just cute overload? If that can't cheer up someones day I dunno what will.

OH...Thank goodness you said that was a baby....hmnnnn I though it sorta looked like something else...nevermind. Gutter in my brain problems..heehee

Arizona Dad

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Southern Arizona
For what it's worth...CONGRATULATIONS on one month analog free. You KNOW you're doing the right thing. Perhaps your grandmother loves you so much, she thinks she's helping you by denouncing the 'habit.' I'd give her the benefit of a doubt. Just try not to vape in front of her. I'll bet in time, she'll think you've stopped, since there is no real smell associated with vaping. Keep showing HER your love and maybe she'll come around. Again, congratulations...Keep up the good work. Just don't even THINK of bringing that wallaby home, not matter HOW cute he is!!!:lol:

miakauisan

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
For what it's worth...CONGRATULATIONS on one month analog free. You KNOW you're doing the right thing. Perhaps your grandmother loves you so much, she thinks she's helping you by denouncing the 'habit.' I'd give her the benefit of a doubt. Just try not to vape in front of her. I'll bet in time, she'll think you've stopped, since there is no real smell associated with vaping. Keep showing HER your love and maybe she'll come around. Again, congratulations...Keep up the good work. Just don't even THINK of bringing that wallaby home, not matter HOW cute he is!!!:lol:

HAH! I immediately came home and announced my newly acquired requirement for a wallaby LOL. I got the "... ... ... heh..." look. :lol:

Sharky

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Phoenix AZ
I have had a few friends and family look at me funny when I say I quit smoking while puffin on my PV. To a lot of them nothing has changed and they still think I am smoking. You cannot explain the difference to somebody not willing to listen. As long as they see what they think is smoke coming out of your mouth on exhale they will automatically think it is still smoking no matter what. I just suffer the fools and move on. They are not worth the time and trouble to explain yourself to. Besides I have no need to explain myself to anyone. Take me for who I am or take a long walk the other direction...

vapeopotamus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Deleted by PTJD
  • Reason: Upping post count

Rhaevyn

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Tigard, Oregon
www.myspace.com
Miaka, good on you for a month analog free. Same for me as of yesterday! Go us!

I can imagine how painful it is to be chided by someone you respect and love. But as others have said, just keep your chin up and in time she may come around. Grans are from a totally different generation and some of them are just plain stubborn in their viewpoints on life. I wish you the best.

Those wallabies are adorable. Here's another cute pic to cheer you up:

220360941afc1e71c99792f7eb55555d44df3da7.jpg

DisMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2008
I don't know what it is...but, when my family gets all pissy with any decision I make, I just tell them to find their own way home and that I'll talk to them later.

Needless to say, we don't have the same arguments over and over again. They learn very quickly that crossing the line just makes me not deal with them any longer.

No reason to stress on other people's viewpoints controlling your life.

Of course, that leads into the "Oh, you let XYZ control your life so much that you're willing to lose family over it?"

No. I just don't deal with people that don't like what I do, just like I don't deal with people that I don't like what they do. It's kind of common sense to cancel out the people you don't like....you are what you do, therefore, if you do something I don't like (and cannot tolerate), I just don't deal with ya.

It's a nice and logical flow and keeps things natural. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread